Engine rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:25 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild questions

Hi guys,

I've been searching for the "right" 993 for the past two years and have yet to find one. However, I've been more diligently searching for one recently and came across one example w/ a complete topend rebuild. The owner sent me his rebuild receipt and I found the following items were replaced:

- Piston rings
- Valve guides
- Valve stem seals
- Main bearings
- Main bearing oil seal
- Connecting rod bearing

Does it sound like a normal topend rebuild? Seems very excessive and makes me question the engine's health prior to the rebuild. From searching this forum, I found that the reason to replace the piston rings is only if the car smokes. (am I right?) What about the main bearings, valve stem seals and CR bearing?

Thank you in advance.

Jack
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack,

There are many on this forum much more qualified to answer your questions than I. That being said, those receipts represent MUCH MORE than a top-end rebuild. Normally, top-end means the heads only... Not the jugs, not the rings, and certainly not the main bearings!

Something BAD happened to that engine... I suspect something very bad!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Jack,

There are many on this forum much more qualified to answer your questions than I. That being said, those receipts represent MUCH MORE than a top-end rebuild. Normally, top-end means the heads only... Not the jugs, not the rings, and certainly not the main bearings!

Something BAD happened to that engine... I suspect something very bad!
Michael, I have the same gut feeling as you do. Is there a possbility that the owner chose to replace all of the above simple because the head was off the car anyway?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope... Not a chance! To get to the main bearings, you have to split the crankcase... This was WAY more than a top-end rebuild!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I admit that rings are a bit excessive but there is an argument for splitting the case and resealing while everything is off the motor already. How many miles are on the motor?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:30 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Father of 3
I admit that rings are a bit excessive but there is an argument for splitting the case and resealing while everything is off the motor already. How many miles are on the motor?
118k, sorry I didn't post that in my original post. Rebuild was done at 105k.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well... at 105K miles, if you're in the engine anyway...

If the car was burning oil and needed rings, they may have seen some minor or moderate scoring on the bearings and went ahead and replaced those too. Who knows? You should ask the seller.

Me, I wouldn't be all that worried. If the engine had some damage and they had to do all of that, well, hey, it's fixed now! No worries about that stuff going bad anytime soon.

Michael
Old 03-26-2007, 03:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

If it had sucked a valve, you would see new pistons on that list. Seized because of no oil pressure, I am sure there would be more on that list.

My guess is that the owner was sold on a complete refresh, while they were there, so to speak. I see it happen all of the time. In other words, the owner is told XXX for the top end, and only just XXX more for the bottom end and reseal. Kinda like at the bar "would you like an extra shot for one dollar more"
Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris walrod
If it had sucked a valve, you would see new pistons on that list. Seized because of no oil pressure, I am sure there would be more on that list.

My guess is that the owner was sold on a complete refresh, while they were there, so to speak. I see it happen all of the time. In other words, the owner is told XXX for the top end, and only just XXX more for the bottom end and reseal. Kinda like at the bar "would you like an extra shot for one dollar more"
Thanks for the input.

May I ask which bar do you go to?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

My only input is that I find it odd that at least the six exhaust valves themselves don't appear to have been replaced. I know mine were severely pitted at 40k miles and were replaced during my top end rebuild... seems like due diligence would dictate replacing them at 105k "while you're in there".
Old 03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chris is right. I needed new valve guides, so a top end was necessary. IIRC it was only about $1200 more to do the bottem end also.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by trojanman
My only input is that I find it odd that at least the six exhaust valves themselves don't appear to have been replaced. I know mine were severely pitted at 40k miles and were replaced during my top end rebuild... seems like due diligence would dictate replacing them at 105k "while you're in there".
Hi,

From the receipt, I can see the rebuild prodecure calls for "grind valves", I'm assuming the mechanic did not replace the valves themselves.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
chris is right. I needed new valve guides, so a top end was necessary. IIRC it was only about $1200 more to do the bottem end also.
The owner told me that he planned on keeping the car for a long time, but due to unexpected emergency, he's forced to sell the car.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to replace valves unless they're out of spec. They can sometimes be ground or machined back into spec.

When I had my SC heads done, it turned out 1-3 intake were all cooked because a previous owner had forgotten to reinstall the air dam on the back of the alternator, so the clockwise-spinning fan only cooled the right bank. A few yrs. of driving in TX and FL like that = new valves.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about it so much as long as there's records, right?

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild questions