Sponsored by:

widebody wheels on a narrowbody

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Ray Calvo, please come home....

For lots of reasons, you don't want to put wide body wheels on a NB car. They wont fit properly...that's it, end of story. They wont fit properly, never will they fit, NEVER!

Now if its the Bling wide rim pimp wheel you are looking for, there are lots of these aftermarket wheels available. But they are after-market wheels.

If it ain't made by Kinesis, BBS, Fikse and a few other of the high end wheel mfgs, don't bother. You truly get what you pay for with wheels...expect to pay $800 to $1,000 a wheel. Why? Because they are well designed and made of rugged material. Many of them have passed German TUV standards for design and ruggedness.

Your Rennlister pals don't want to see you go wrong. We have your best interests at heart, truly we do.

I just can't imagine what Ray Calvo would say to you...well, I really can, but you don't want to hear it.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
Thanks David.
I have been looking into more aggressive offset wheels in 18".
There seems to be more of an abundance of used Turbo wheels than n/b wheels.
What about:
Size: Front 18x8" / Rear 18x10"
Offset: Front 50mm / Rear 47mm
Fronts will work fine but the rears won't without modifying the fenders (rolling definitely and pulling most likely)...I wouldn't even bother as even if you get the rears to fit you will be very limited in terms of tire choices. As a reference, in my sig pic below the rears are 11" ET52 (which is about as aggressive as you can get IMHO) and fronts are 8.5" ET46. Father of 3 is currently running the same wheels/setup and my fronts have since been replaced with 9" ET40.

If you are looking for a more aggressive setup using factory twists and are OK w/rolling your fenders, you can run 9" ET50 (which are the rear wheels from a Boxster) and 10" ET65 with a 1/2" spacer (narrowbody rear offsets). You will probably have to source the fronts and rears seperately, and I have not yet seen anyone here running this exact set-up
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by axl911
Joking about borrowing Mark's wheels aside, I would love to put something like this on a narrow body 993.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...95330584QQrdZ1

However, with the rear offset of 52mm, the wheel would stick out .5 inch past the original wheel, and it's a 10.5 inch wheel which means it would stick out .25 inch beyond the 10" wheel /w 65mm offset. Add .5 and .25, I think it these wheels would stick out .75 inch from the original wheel. That would touch the outside fender lip. This makes sense?
If you are willing to roll your fenders and accept limations on size and brand of tires those rear wheels will fit
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 AM
9Nine3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You don't want to do that.

I have actually tried mounting a WB Twist on my rear NB car. The tire sticked out of the fender like crazy. (Around 1.5")

Too bad I didn't take a picture of it.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,240 Posts

I fit the WB twists on my 94 turbo and they were at the limits. I could not fit more than a 265 tire either. It also through the handling out of whack as the track was too wide for the fronts.

That being said I have a set that is straight and true in excellent shape but need paint. If anyone is interested they are for sale. PM me if you think you have a need for them.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You can see how different wheels fit in a 993 fender well at my wheel page
here

lower o/s wheels like the widebody rears, for a given width, stick out further by the difference in ET between the wheels.
Thanks Bill. I looked up yours and Jeff's (993_Pilot) info on wheel fitment yesterday.
I'm still trying to figure out the whole fitment and o/s thing.
So lower ET = farther towards the fender, for a given width. Right?

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Please let us know (Jeff and I) the next time you guys meet at SB on Preston. I'll buy you and Mark a tall coffe and Jeff can remove Mark's rims
Tony, how about I buy the coffee and YOU take the rims. You're the one with the turbo!!

Originally Posted by Martin S.
For lots of reasons, you don't want to put wide body wheels on a NB car. They wont fit properly...that's it, end of story. They wont fit properly, never will they fit, NEVER!
Martin, is there any way TO make them fit properly

Now if its the Bling wide rim pimp wheel you are looking for, there are lots of these aftermarket wheels available. But they are after-market wheels.
Not interested in Bling pimp wheels. Just want something a bit wider.

If it ain't made by Kinesis, BBS, Fikse and a few other of the high end wheel mfgs, don't bother. You truly get what you pay for with wheels...expect to pay $800 to $1,000 a wheel. Why? Because they are well designed and made of rugged material. Many of them have passed German TUV standards for design and ruggedness.
I'm really looking for used or nice aftermarket wheels because I don't want to spend $800 - $1,000 per wheel. I've used up my mod money over the past 29 weeks on chemo treatments for our golden retriever. So right now it's either find an economical way to get mods or just wait.

I have seen a few nice looking aftermarket wheels that claim passing the TUV. Is this B/S?

Your Rennlister pals don't want to see you go wrong. We have your best interests at heart, truly we do.
I know you do and I appreciate everyone's input!

Originally Posted by David in LA
Fronts will work fine but the rears won't without modifying the fenders (rolling definitely and pulling most likely)...I wouldn't even bother as even if you get the rears to fit you will be very limited in terms of tire choices. As a reference, in my sig pic below the rears are 11" ET52 (which is about as aggressive as you can get IMHO) and fronts are 8.5" ET46. Father of 3 is currently running the same wheels/setup and my fronts have since been replaced with 9" ET40.

If you are looking for a more aggressive setup using factory twists and are OK w/rolling your fenders, you can run 9" ET50 (which are the rear wheels from a Boxster) and 10" ET65 with a 1/2" spacer (narrowbody rear offsets). You will probably have to source the fronts and rears seperately, and I have not yet seen anyone here running this exact set-up
Thanks David. I'm ok with rolling the fenders if I have to but I will not pull the fenders.
I think I'm starting to understand fitment a little better.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Trade secret: Many early 996s came with hollow spoke 18s. The rear part is identical to the 993 narrowbody hollows. The front is 7.5" instead of 8" but unless you are racing it doesn't really matter. 996 owners are dumping these because they've now curbed them two or three times and realize the wheel doesn't look good on their car anyway. Buy a straight set; refinish them, you're done for <$1500.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

Thanks Bill. I looked up yours and Jeff's (993_Pilot) info on wheel fitment yesterday.
yes, consider 2 different 10" bead wheels, ET 40 & ET 65. The 40 sticks 25mm further outboard than the 65.

Guess which one is the w/b wheel
Old 03-23-2007, 02:31 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
Thanks Bill. I looked up yours and Jeff's (993_Pilot) info on wheel fitment yesterday...I'm still trying to figure out the whole fitment and o/s thing....So lower ET = farther towards the fender, for a given width. Right?...

Thanks David. I'm ok with rolling the fenders if I have to but I will not pull the fenders...I think I'm starting to understand fitment a little better.
If you follow Bill's previous posts and advice you should be fine as IMHO his advice will get you a fitment that works 100% of the time...he has done a lot of data collection from various people as to what size/ET/width and tire combos have worked in the past. My views are based soley on my personal experience (which is not as extensive as Bill's or others here) and probably reflect the most aggressive set-up you can LIKELY (but not guaranteed) that you can get away with...and which may not work for all cars gives the difference in tolerances (which are sometime more than slight!) between cars. In addition, the setup with Gemballa that I (and Father of 3) have does require a number of compromises in terms of tire sizes and brands and to be frank I personally would not use this combo unless you can do a test fit in advance or have seen it in person.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Peter R.
Pro

I've got wide body rims on my NB. The car has factory M030. The rears stick out about 0.75" from under the fender. I'll be replacing them when I find the right replacements. The alternative is turning the 993 into a widebody, but I don't really want to go there.

I'll post some piccies if I find a place to put them.

Peter R.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Peter R.
I've got wide body rims on my NB. The car has factory M030. The rears stick out about 0.75" from under the fender. I'll be replacing them when I find the right replacements. The alternative is turning the 993 into a widebody, but I don't really want to go there.

I'll post some piccies if I find a place to put them.

Peter R.
would love to see some pics
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Peter R.
Pro

Here's one, for starters. Wide body rims on a NB C2

Peter R.

PS : It has M030 factory. You think the PO jacked it up to get the 18" under there ? I've been suspicious for a while.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:41 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

actually doesn't look too extreme, from that angle
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Not sure what the offsets are on these wheels but here are pics of probably the most aggressive you can get for the rear tires and still fit as long as you are willing to roll. Notice that the rear tire clearance looks similar to my car in the sig pic below (which had 285s on ET52). I forgot where I got the pics but its a car that's running around here in Hong Kong. I'm trying to upload a similar pic of my car with the same angle as the second photo but my pics are too large (anyone know how to reduce pics on Macs?)
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: widebody wheels on a narrowbody