Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cab again? or Other convertibles in the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I fell in love with Smarts in Rome back in '03. They're so small, they park them perpendicular to the curb! They must be seen in person to really appreciate the size. I'd totally have one on order as well for the LA commute, but I need a back seat for the slobbering labradors, hence the Corolla...
Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see them as a great thing for booting around town in. I also view it as a somewhat environmentally friendly alternative to the large vans and SUV. I need an SUV for many things and I "NEED" a Porsche for others. Sometimes I don't need either and that is when I'd love to own a Smart. I am a bit sceptical about the thought of taking one on the freeway though. It may just be my perception but I get this gut feeling about wind throwing it off a bridge or getting squashed by an SUV. How tough are these cars? How is the handling on the freeway with high wind?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very tough, very strong. I have a youtube video of one smashing a concrete wall at 70 mph. Of course, everyone inside would be dead (but so what, you would be in anything) but the cell is intact. This is a second generation car; the first gen cars were not the best on the highway. Those were not imported (but I have a friend with one registered in Canada and it is still pretty good) but this one was designed from the start as being for the US. I am not planning on taking it cross country, but am certain it will be fine going from exit 4 to 17 on I95. As to handling, like the Cayenne, it is a miracle of electronics. It too has PSM (or some other absurd acronym).
Old 03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Peter R.
Pro

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
love my cab but wish it came in a twin turbo!!
I believe the factory made three. I seem to remember at leat 1 is in the US. Start looking.

Peter R.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think its just human nature to want what you don't have. I have a C2 CAB Tip. When I'm not in the car I think about selling it and getting a coupe with a 6 speed. When I'm in the car cruising in traffic down the PCH or our wonderful freeway parking lots with the top down, I'm in heaven and tell myself this is the perfect car. INMHO I like the looks of both the cabriolet and the coupe. The 993 is hands down the best looking 911 ever.

Quick Reply: Cab again? or Other convertibles in the garage?