Sponsored by:

How tight must the distributor caps be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How tight must the distributor caps be?

I am at a standstill with my new dizzy install. I got the old one out and new one in and I cannot make the new cap screws thread. I get them almost all the way and then they just won't budge anymore. On the primary cap I retapped the screws and got them in, though with a lot of effort. On the secondary, I gave and reused the screws from the old cap. No dice. I really, really don't want to have to pull the dizzy back out and retap the screw holes and there's no room at all to do it while it's in the car. Now the cap is slightly loose. Is it ok to leave it like that? I am losing my mind and certainly my patience with this project. How can something so small stop this whole show? Please help!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Caps must be tight not only for the obvious reason, but to help keep moisture out. Take a screw all the way out of an old cap and compare both dizzy's.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I remember, they have a metal sleeve and the screw bottoms out to a tight fit........? (thinking back)
They were a bear to get out (old screws) but my new ones went right in. Are you sure you didn't cross thread them?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
As I remember, they have a metal sleeve and the screw bottoms out to a tight fit. They were a bear to get out (old screws) but my new ones went right in.
I agree. That's how I remember it from a few months ago. The caps should seat nice and tight.

Andreas
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must have cross-threaded them, but I find it hard to believe I did it to all four. Anyway, I took the dizzy out again (5 min.), threw in the vise and retapped the threads. All went together fine then. I put the secondary cap on while on the bench. No point in making it harder and I just made sure the rotor on the primary was at TDC when I put the dizzy back in. Check out the photos on my other thread in a few minutes.

Quick Reply: How tight must the distributor caps be?