Porsche Budget Swallowed by Motor Yacht

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Porsche Budget Swallowed by Motor Yacht

Hiya Guys,

Maybe I'm too demanding in terms of bang for the buck?

After searching websites for a high mile 993 C2 coupe, it seems the only one that seemed to feel right was the one posted by our fellow Rennlister Bugnbox. Glad it went to another guy from here - I couldn't react fast enough as I was taking my daughter skiing for her birthday, not exactly right to leave her in the lurch.

Heard of a nice car in San Francisco from a kind Rennlister, but it was at a used Porsche dealership that wouldn't even give me the time of day when I was on a nationwide TT hunt last summer. I was tempted by some cars at that Texas reseller, until I read enough threads here to take a step back. Then I checked with a major seller in Pennsylvania and it seems that the cars he has are either too pricey or didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling when I checked their Carfax.

So to shrug off the frustration I shifted gears and ran a Yachtworld search. For the exact budget of a high mile 993, I stumbled onto an unexpected offer. Seems that for now I'll be looking at 993s from the water in a triple cabin Hatteras. I'm kinda dissappointed, as I was all geared up for an air cooled tiptronic, but fate took a hand in it.

If I can manage to sell something, maybe I'll be back in the P-car market soon. So if you hear of an unmolested (cosmetics don't matter) C2 coupe or targa that has racked the miles but was loved and hasn't lost that authentic Porsche feel - please zap me a PM. I may just hop a plane and get crazy again.

Thanks to all here for your very helpful advice.
It wasn't all for nothing, will put it into practice as soon as ya call me in.

Best,

Vic
Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why was a high mileage 993 TIP important? A Hatteras is nice but in a different league in the "money pit" equation...

Why a tip??? My opinion of course.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came FROM the yacht world, and let me tell you, for what you pay in slip fees alone (which never end) we could each have a TT!

Lets me rationalize a C2 as a very affordable indulgence by comparison. Never heard of anyone needing to find "partners" for their Porsche!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Crownvic
Hiya Guys,

Maybe I'm too demanding in terms of bang for the buck?

After searching websites for a high mile 993 C2 coupe, it seems the only one that seemed to feel right was the one posted by our fellow Rennlister Bugnbox. Glad it went to another guy from here - I couldn't react fast enough as I was taking my daughter skiing for her birthday, not exactly right to leave her in the lurch.

Heard of a nice car in San Francisco from a kind Rennlister, but it was at a used Porsche dealership that wouldn't even give me the time of day when I was on a nationwide TT hunt last summer. I was tempted by some cars at that Texas reseller, until I read enough threads here to take a step back. Then I checked with a major seller in Pennsylvania and it seems that the cars he has are either too pricey or didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling when I checked their Carfax.

So to shrug off the frustration I shifted gears and ran a Yachtworld search. For the exact budget of a high mile 993, I stumbled onto an unexpected offer. Seems that for now I'll be looking at 993s from the water in a triple cabin Hatteras. I'm kinda dissappointed, as I was all geared up for an air cooled tiptronic, but fate took a hand in it.

If I can manage to sell something, maybe I'll be back in the P-car market soon. So if you hear of an unmolested (cosmetics don't matter) C2 coupe or targa that has racked the miles but was loved and hasn't lost that authentic Porsche feel - please zap me a PM. I may just hop a plane and get crazy again.

Thanks to all here for your very helpful advice.
It wasn't all for nothing, will put it into practice as soon as ya call me in.

Best,

Vic
so you bought a triple wide hatteras for the price of a high mile 993?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
allill
Drifting

Photos of the yacht please!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a tip C2 for sale here from Rennlister Chris. You should take a look at it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Cool Coming Clean

Hey guys, I didn't mean to start your six shooters a backfirin'...

My post was just to let folks here know I was sincere in asking their opinion, and explaining there's a reason why I am not following up all of the helpful advice with the immediate purchase of a 993.

I've been on the wagon regarding credit, so it was with my savings that I was going to buy the C2. I'm in NO WAY knocking its value or market price, even if I got unexpectedly lucky with a very different purchase. BTW, pics of the boat won't follow until after closing, once I clean her up: it was an estate sale and cheap due to the mess.

Soon I will again be in the market for a nice C2 narrow body / coupe or targa / tip or 6-speed. Since it is harder to gather cash than to rub plastic, I'll seek out a higher mile car that hasn't been hit, or raced too hard. An original unmolested gorgeous rare color preferably driven on highways by a poser would suit me nicely.

More seriously, I've been discouraged about buying a used Porsche from a distance. For those in remote areas, unless you're ready to pay a premium for a low mile example from an expensive shop at distance, it seems to be a wild goose chase with lots of travel. I don't mind the time it takes, or the work and complications involved in the search for an aft engined companion. But it sort of hasn't panned out so far.

So instead, I'll hang out here and wait as long as it takes for a lead from a fellow Rennlister. If opportunity calls, I'll do what it takes to make it happen. Any 993 C2 with preferably 50k miles or more - slightly less is fine if the price ain't wacky. I'm not picky about years, colors or options. I'll grow to love the car even if is Guards Pink with Signal Green leather.

Vic
Please HONK if you see my car =======> PM: Crownvic
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Arrow Had to Pass

Originally Posted by DJF1
There is a tip C2 for sale here from Rennlister Chris. You should take a look at it.
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the suggestion. Chris and I have already talked, and her car is too race tricked for my family use (2 kids in back). I'm seeking a stocker with few mods. Her car IS a great buy for someone looking to race on weekends!

Cheers,

Vic
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
993Dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crownvic
Seems that for now I'll be looking at 993s from the water in a triple cabin Hatteras. I'm kinda dissappointed, as I was all geared up for an air cooled tiptronic, but fate took a hand in it.
I'm not sure if this would be your first boat or not, but there is a reason the Hatteras' seem like a lot of boat for the money. They run two stroke Detroit Diesels which gulp fuel like no tomorrow. Granted - they provide a great deal of live aboard space and are like floating living rooms, but current owners are dying to get rid of them. If you think the real estate market is soft - the boat market is in shambles. Negotiate the heck out of the deal and make sure you get a marine survey including hull moisture readings. Certain years of Hatts tended to see hull blistering.

Its your money - don't let other people tell you how to spend it. At the end of the day, not much compares to spending time on the water especially with your family.

Last edited by 993Dude; 03-14-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

A guy I work with owned a Hatteras for a few years. It was the last in a line of boats he had. He is now considering getting into restored muscle cars or sports cars as an affordable make sense alternative. After hearing his fuel bill for the season I am not feeling to bad about getting the 993 read for some track work this year. But if you are OK with the cost I think boats are great. Hope you get in the 993 fold soon. Good luck on both ventures.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Wink Today or Next Year - HONK when you see her

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement! I know these boats as I already have a smaller Hatt, one with much thirstier twin Chrysler 426 big block gassers. The fuel gurgling diesels to avoid unless you're rich, are the turbo models of those older Detroit Diesels - once their compressors kick in you're out some major money. This one has naturally aspirated diesels which only use too much fuel when you run her at wide open throttle propelling her 15 tons at 20kts on top of the water. She's a lot of boat for the money, so far the only presentable pic is of the aft cabin that needs a good cleaning:

I really wasn't looking to buy her, but meant to at last come home to mother Porsche: my Mom used to rallye drive ours way back when I was small enough to find the back seat of a 356 large and comfy. She visited the factory in Stuttgart and was kindly offered chassis number 125,000 in slate grey with custom dark green leather special ordered for a German collector who had just died. Ever since I've yearned for my own Porsche, and after years of waiting and finally being ready, this happens. Still, I have to do my Mom justice, and fwon't give up on finding a special one in need of TLC.

If you stumble upon a higher mile 993 that looks like she was driven with respect, I'll travel any distance for the right car at a reasonable price. Sure ain't rich, especially after the latest purchase, but am still on the hunt!
You've got my PM.

Vic
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Maybe too late, but how about this one?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

I just saw a high mile 993 for 23k on autotrader.com
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Lightbulb Rennlister Recommended

Hi Jukelemon,

Saw it but that's a cabriolet - looking for a coupe or a Tip. The next price up is advertised as low miles, but the odometer reading between 2004 and 2007 shows only 3 miles difference... not reassuring. Plus the CARFAX says this:

"This vehicle was registered in a county declared a flood disaster area by the Federal Emergency Management Agency".

Now you see why I'm looking for a ride that is "Recommended by a Rennlister", meaning that they've at least seen the car or know its current owner. Jeff in S.F. was kind enough to tell me about one in his city, unluckily it was at that reseller that practically gave me the bird.

Hi Chris,

I appreciate the buyer's alert. That Arena seems nice and appearances may be confirmed. However, I tend to shy away from eBay for 2 reasons. First, I don't like wrenching things away from other buyers, and making people unhappy in the process; bad Karma or just bad vibes? Secondly, because it usually is a place where people either try to dump problem cars, hope for exhorbitant top dollar sales, and sometimes both. I once remember getting a very good deal in a no reserve auction at eBay, only to receive an insulting email from the seller telling me I've ripped him off with my winning bid. Since then I've steered clear from eBay for big ticket items.

For example, the CARFAX of this Red coupe seems to contradict the seller's story. It was Nevada registered since new, and only logged 337 miles since arriving in California. Not a match the sales pitch of ownership by the wife of a famous movie actor in L.A. - and if you add to that the blue seat belts in the rear seats it makes you wonder about an accident or color change.

This is sort of why I want to wait as long as it takes for the right number when a Rennlister or PCA member pops me a PM to alert me about a 993 they know first hand. The continent is too big to spend months trecking around looking for the right car, just to find out it's far from what the pictures show. Ask Tony Callas if he remembers that purple TT, and he'll explain why it isn't so smart to spend a fortune barking up the wrong tree.

Vic

Quick Reply: Porsche Budget Swallowed by Motor Yacht