Question about brakes, review of in tach remote display

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about brakes, review of in tach remote display

Brakes first -

My brakes had a squeal that sent shivers down my spine. I have 96 933 C2 Cab...when I came to a slow stop with the top down it was not bearable. I took it to the shop here in San Antonio and was told that the pads had 50% left on them, but that the dampeners needed to be replaced. They did this work and after I got the car back...same squeal. I called and reported this and was told that it is the way that I drive. I was told that I am usign the brakes too lightly and if I would hit them harder it won't happen. I actually tried this, but find that when I am almost stopped, I always let off the brakes to come to a smooth stop. I have not had this problem with my other 993, and I am sure I drove the same.

I was told by the shop that they could replace the pads, but if I keep driving this way it will happen again. Then, they mentioned that they could cut the rotors?

Have you heard any of this? Are these valid comments? The thing is that this shop, Jones Autowerks, is only a Porsche shop. They have a very good reputation in town, this is the first time I have had anything questionable from them....any help appreicated.

IN TACH RADAR DISPLAY -

Thanks to P-car.com I took my remote V-1 display and put it in an extra Tach I had laying around. I will say that it was pretty easy overall. However, the face and the plastic backing are much harder to cut through than I realized. When I put the guage back on and replaced the needle on the gauge, I took car to make sure it was seated at -250 RPM's After putting back together and puting in the car, the guage sits at 500 before power is turned on, where it jumps down to 0. From 0-1500 it is a little jerky, then it smooths out. In addition, I have a little light bleeding around the display at night and will need to take out and open up again to put a bead of epoxy around it.

The overall mechanics of the DIY are pretty easy, it is the small details that I am not as good at that have probably lead to my problems. Now that I have done it once, I may do it again using my other Tach. If I do, I will order a knew remote display and leave this one as (with Epoxy to block light). I figure now that I have done it I can do the next one better, then probably sell this one on Ebay. All in all - I would highly recommend this DIY to anyone who wants to use the V-1 as it is very nice to have it all line of sight.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Regarding your brakes - general consensus here is that the OE Porsche Textar pads and Porsche rotors give noise-free braking. I just replaced the original factory rotors/pads/anti-rattle spiders/sensors. Prior to doing this, the brakes never made a noise and stopped the car with authority.

Do you know what pads are on the car presently? Were the anti-rattle "spiders" used? Working on the brakes is actually super easy. You may wish to dig into this personally and get a feel for what's going on under your car.

Andreas
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

I had terrible brake squeal until I replaced the pads with the OEM Textar pads. I ditched the spiders and smeared Lubro Moly LM 508 anti-seize compound on the back of the pads. No squeal since then, even under light breaking.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I think a previous thread reported that squealing was greatly reduced by blowing out the dust from the holes in the rotors with shop air.

My 95 has the original pads and rotors, and they are completely silent, no matter how gently I brake.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I think a previous thread reported that squealing was greatly reduced by blowing out the dust from the holes in the rotors with shop air.

My 95 has the original pads and rotors, and they are completely silent, no matter how gently I brake.
I've cleaned my brakes using brake parts cleaner and it eliminates the squeel but only temporarily. Once the holes get dusty again the noise comes back.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

OK - So I will use air to clean the holes in the rotors first, but it sounds like the best thing to do is to chance the pads. Thank you for your advice.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have OEM pads there is zero squealing. Try that first at a Porsche dealer or if you want to take a drive take it to my old mechanic Mike Callas of Rennsport in Sealy. Ask the dealer to ensure that the anti squeal tabs/ brake pad sensors are also inserted as some neglect to put them back ( they are a PITA to re-install)
I suspect that you may have some Pagids on or some really aggressive pad. With the Pagids the comment of braking harder is kind of valid, although these pads need heat to stop squealing which can only happen on the track realistically. My pagids squealed like pigs on the street. One thing is for sure that its not the way you drive...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have OEM pads there is zero squealing.
Speak for yourself. Absolute blanket statements have ZERO chance of being true.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Speak for yourself. Absolute blanket statements have ZERO chance of being true.
It's not a blanket statement. In my experience if you have the factory setup which means factory rotors, factory pads and properly installed anti squeal tabs then there should not be an squealing. I have changed about 6 pairs of rotors and numerous times the pads on my 993's. All that due to a lot of DE track work before I even bought my race car and I used the factory setup with better fluids as my car was also driven on the street and did not want to deal with the squealing or having to replace the pads every time I would go to the track.
What are the odds of not having a problem with multiple changes of the rotors and pads???

Furthermore in my 17 years of P-car ownership I never encountered squealing from standard factory equipped P-cars. I also don't know any other person on RL with a 993 that has that problem with everything and correctly installed. If you are the first person, then its a first or maybe your car is equipped differently? If you are 100% sure that your setup is 100% factory and 100% properly installed and you still have squealing, then I take my statement back and revise it to read " If you have OEM pads most likely you will have zero squealing".

So what is your story?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So what is your story?
100% Porsche box OE parts, including spiders, and still has some squealing. As the original poster mentioned, the lighter I brake, the more likely it is to squeal.

Even with professional mechanics, eliminating squeal is more of a trial and error process. There are all sorts of tiny variables in a 10 year old car that could allow enough free play for the high frequency vibration that makes squeal. I could probably fix the squeal by pulling everything apart again, taking solvent and brush to the inside of the calipers, replacing the spring plates, cleaning the caliper mounting faces to make sure everything is perfectly square, etc. But just slapping on some new factory pads and rotors won't guarantee quiet brakes.

Quick Reply: Question about brakes, review of in tach remote display