Sponsored by:

Dead Battery =0(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead Battery =0(

Will the Porsche battery tender "charge" a practically dead battery? My car sleeps in the garage, but with the cold weather we have had lately and not driving it for a few weeks, the battery is practically dead (turn the key and barely get a door ajar chime and the gauge lights is non-existent). Can/should I charge the battery first with the Porsche battery charger (if even possible) and then if there is still not enough juice jump it with a battery pack?

I'm just thinking if I can help alleviate some of the strain to the battery by charging it first, it will cost least "wear" on the battery or will it not matter?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Will the Porsche battery tender "charge" a practically dead battery? My car sleeps in the garage, but with the cold weather we have had lately and not driving it for a few weeks, the battery is practically dead (turn the key and barely get a door ajar chime and the gauge lights is non-existent). Can/should I charge the battery first with the Porsche battery charger (if even possible) and then if there is still not enough juice jump it with a battery pack?

I'm just thinking if I can help alleviate some of the strain to the battery by charging it first, it will cost least "wear" on the battery or will it not matter?

happen to me a week ago..trickle charger overnight was fine...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin

We carry the CTEK line www.ctek.com A very good solution for occasional use owners. It even has a "pigtail" plug for easy connection (and leave on full time when the car is not in use) so you don't have to mess with the terminal clips all the time. The problem is once your battery goes dead once, twice, three times, it could be shot and require replacement so a conditioner/smart charger won't help by that point.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
happen to me a week ago..trickle charger overnight was fine...
Good to hear. Do you have the Porsche battery maintainer that plugs into the cig. lighter?

Thanks for the lightening-quick reply!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Charging batteries is actually kind of a science. "Smart Charger" makers developed algorithms to try to prolong battery life by proper charging, like fluctuating the current and varying the level over time. Charging it with a trickle charger is certainly NOT the optimal method, but it'll probably work fine.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:05 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Charging batteries is actually kind of a science. "Smart Charger" makers developed algorithms to try to prolong battery life by proper charging, like fluctuating the current and varying the level over time. Charging it with a trickle charger is certainly NOT the optimal method, but it'll probably work fine.
Agreed. Some of the "smart charger/maintainers" also have a de-sulphation
process which is supposed to increase battery life.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:14 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most if not all tricklers are not made to charge a battery gone dead, not enough amps. need to re-charge it with a 12 amp charger and then keep it on the trickler. I understand that the cigarette lighter chargers are not as good as the outlet chargers. I recently tried to start my 964 to check if the battery was good on the trickler and it would not turn over although all accessory equipment, radio, lights would work. The battery needed to be put on an overnight 12 amp charger. I had the trickler replaced with same brand, it was 15 months old. I keep my trickler on at all times even in summer as I only pleasure drive the car, so I don't know if these tricklers have short life cycles.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery =0(