Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Directional Tires...Wrong direction? & Other Anecdotes from a 993 shopper...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Directional Tires...Wrong direction? & Other Anecdotes from a 993 shopper...

Ok, I think I've had enough from the salesguys at Cars Dawydiak in SF. I've been on friendly terms over the years with their people, however long they stay. As I have been looking at a high-mileage 993 on their showroom floor for a while now, making what I thought was a decent offer, I decided to stop by and see what new cars could be coming in...

[They probably read this, and I don't give a hoot (call me Ron, love to chat)]

Today, as I was inspecting the '95 993, I noticed the rear tires (Kumho's) were "pointed" in the wrong direction...i.e. the directional arrows were pointing to the rear (the front ones pointed to the front). I asked him about this, and he stated that all tires are like this on 993s and that I should walk across the street to the Wheel Works and get their opinion. Can anyone confirm this?

The kicker was when he starts to tell me that 993 Carrera S's are more powerful than the standard 993!!! "Oh, they have at least 5 more horsepower". Then said something about "Varioram being an option from '96 on, standard in '98". WTF!!! I tried to discuss it, but decided to let it go. Maybe I came in at a bad time. 3-martini lunch, anyone???

I've been looking so long for the 993 (white preferred), thought I had the "one" a week ago until the seller had to back out due to personal reasons (his wife said "NO!"). I am frustrated with this market! It's worse than finding a one-bedroom condo for my clients in Pacific Heights for under $700,000 (with parking). That followed another '95 993 that had 60,000 miles and the seller was asking $25,000, which, of course I agreed to, except I put the deal contingent upon a clean PPI--no money changed hands, and some dealer came two hours later, with check in hand and drove away (now he's probably resold it for $$$ profit). I'm a moron

I think I am going to reinvest my money as the market is correcting, there must be something attractive to scoop up. And just for the record, I pay for value, not limited by dollar amount. Dealers should watch out: The guy in jeans and a t-shirt might be a new dot-com millionaire/trust fund baby/or just plain wealthy in this town. I almost made that mistake in my real estate sales business, thank God I didn't, would have cost me a fat commission!

Stick a fork in me, I'm done! [for today]
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sales guys are what they are. Next week they'll be selling refrigerators at Sears. It doesn't really matter to them. Enthisasts are what we are. Rarely are they the same person. Go in with very low expectations. Don't get upset. It ain't much different in SoCal.

Tim Holt has a nice white one with blue interior($). Kinda crazy to haul a car all the way back to the Car Capitol of the World, though.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your experience with that salesperson, no matter how nice the shop, they still are used car sales people. The rear tires and front tires should face the same direction, hence the term directional. Varioram was standard '96 on in the 993's as you know and S cars had the same juice. Turbo S cars had more than the regular turbo, but there's no way that's what he meant. It's a shame that people do get judged on appearance, hell if you saw me you'd never expect me to drive the car that I drive, but that's how it goes. I like what you say about the t-shirt and jeans, I'm not rich, but if I was I would definitly down play the whole thing. Man, $25k for a 60k mile car was a steal though, so I will stick a fork into you. LOL.

Good luck on your search.

-jeff
Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
allill
Drifting

If you can take a black car instead, get this local turbo s listed locally on craigs. no affiliation.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/286136085.html
Old 03-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Sales guys are what they are. Next week they'll be selling refrigerators at Sears. It doesn't really matter to them. Enthisasts are what we are. Rarely are they the same person. Go in with very low expectations. Don't get upset. It ain't much different in SoCal.

Tim Holt has a nice white one with blue interior($). Kinda crazy to haul a car all the way back to the Car Capitol of the World, though.
dcdude,

I saw the cars at Holt while "surfing" yesterday. He's got some nice 993s, and from what I have read here, he's a stand-up guy, but you pay a premium for that, no? I agree we are "the car capitol", but I am going to guess that Holt probably buys from all over the country, so who knows, maybe that car started it's life in Cali...

As my wife told me today, patience. I even started to look at 996s; oh, the horror! The HORROR! She only wants me to get what I want with some color limitations, and that's a 993, so at least I have got her support
Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allill
If you can take a black car instead, get this local turbo s listed locally on craigs. no affiliation.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/286136085.html
Ok, maybe I have some price limits... Oh, and I do plan to drive it daily, so creampuffs and collectors cars I'll leave for others.

I think at $135,000 I might, and I do mean MIGHT, begin looking at the 997 TT or GT3...! Sorry air-cooled crowd.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:04 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 135k, I would definately look at a 997 Turbo.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

The idea of qualifying buyers based on appearance can really bite the salesperson. When I lived in Rancho Mirage in the early 80s, the local dealership for several brands, including Rolls-Royce, had a young man in cut-offs and flip-flops walk in and pay cash for a new RR Silver Spur...
Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

In this month's Panorama there is a white 993 coupe listed for sale, in Nashville. It sounded like a good car. I'll try to find the mag and give you more info...
Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

I just posted my ad for this White C4s

•Factory Options:
•Classic Grey Partial Leather.
•AM/FM with CD (I have a changer you may have).
•Power Seat Package.
•Painted Rims Exterior Color
•Instrument Rings White with Leather Rims.
•C4S Rim caps.
•Motor Sound Package.
•Rear Window Wiper.
•Hi-Fi Sound package.
•Litronic Head lamps.
•Six speed Transmission. .
•Added Accessories.
•Billstein PSS9’s
•Light Weight Flywheel and new clutch. (1500 Miles)
•Front Rub 1997 C4s Glacier White 70,000 miles no accidents.
•Bar.
•Stainless Steel Sill Plates.
•Carbon Shock Tower Strut.
•RSR Style Mufflers.
•Euro S bumper and Ducts.
•Euro Turn Lenses.
•Aluminum Pedals.
•Lowered and corner balanced.
•C2s Painted Deck Lid Body Color.
•Maintenance.
•Ac Evaporator Core.
•Clutch Slave Cylinder.
•Immobilizer Module.
•Rear Deck Shocks.
•Brake Rotors and Pads (1500 Miles).
•MAS Air Flow Sensor (1000 Miles),
•Air Filter (300 Miles).
•Oil Change (300 Miles).
•New Billet Aluminum Valve Covers (400 Miles).
•Timing Chain Cover Gaskets.
•60,000 Mile Service with Spark Plug Wires.
•S03’s 80%
•PPI done at TRE in North Hollywood 400 Miles ago.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:40 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Jeff,

Check this one out:

1996 Coupe, white, 32K miles, original owner, $32,500, Tom Lawrence, Nashville, TN 615-780-3356
tom.lawrence@dvl.com

No affiliation, but it sounds like a good one...
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

farmerjohn,
Thanks for the heads up. From what you wrote me, it is almost too good! A good friend of mine brings me his Panoramas once he's "done" with them. I should get his supply this week.

John Velasco,
Saw your listing, very nice C4S, not quite my style, I'm sticking with the C2 models for now. It's been a dry winter in Nor Cal...

And to everyone who has PM'd me, Thank YOU! Rennlist has taught me a lot, and I appreciate everyone's help & support (that's why I re-upped for a 2-year membership!).

Quick Reply: Directional Tires...Wrong direction? & Other Anecdotes from a 993 shopper...