Sponsored by:

Tweeter Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Tweeter Repair

I have no idea if the speakers in my '96 C2 are stock or aftermarket. The car has the 2 rear shelf speakers plus a 5.25" speaker and a separate tweeter in each door. The tweeter in the driver side door is loose and hanging on by its wires.

As far as I can tell, it is not a "snap" or threaded" fit into it's collar. So my guess is a screw has come loose from the back.

That means my door panel has to come off. Anyone have a good DIY for the panel removal?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

p-car.com has one that I think will get you close. You have a NON hi fi version IF you only have a woofer and tweeter in the front-like mine-see my post on speaker size yesterday
Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I saw that one too. My concern is that our door's don't come apart the same way. In particular I am wondering how to handle the outside mirror control on top of the panel.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock tweeter is glued into the speaker housing, no screws. The outer collar is threaded to hold the housing in the door panel, IIRC.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a friend says he can take one off in minutes. So, I think it is doable.

As long as ALL of the screws are out, most door panels come off in a similar way i.e. pressure seated by expanding clamps/fasteners.

By the way, most say you can run 6.5's in our car. That is my plan. Might as well upgrade those speakers while the panel is off.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The stock tweeter is glued into the speaker housing, no screws. The outer collar is threaded to hold the housing in the door panel, IIRC.
Thanks. That makes this repair pretty easy!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:30 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced my speakers this weekend (non hi-fi version) and the tweeter replacement is very easy.
Remove the door panels by following the instructions here:
http://p-car.com/diy/ard/
If the tweeters are OEM, the housing is clipped in with two tabs that need to be pushed in and it will pop out easily. Same with the physical tweeter. Look in the housing and you will see two tabs that can be pushed in and the whole assembly should fall out.
I'm not sure why yours is not clipped in. I have used the actual housing with some new MB Quart tweeters, but I have all the internals and one working OEM tweeter (the other came out in pieces as I wasn't sure how it was fitted) if these are any use to you. I can send them out FOC if you need them. Do you have any pictures so we can be sure we are talking about the same units?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sidned
I replaced my speakers this weekend (non hi-fi version) and the tweeter replacement is very easy.
If the tweeters are OEM, the housing is clipped in with two tabs that need to be pushed in and it will pop out easily. Same with the physical tweeter. Look in the housing and you will see two tabs that can be pushed in and the whole assembly should fall out.
I'm not sure why yours is not clipped in. I have used the actual housing with some new MB Quart tweeters, but I have all the internals and one working OEM tweeter (the other came out in pieces as I wasn't sure how it was fitted) if these are any use to you. I can send them out FOC if you need them. Do you have any pictures so we can be sure we are talking about the same units?
Darren,
Thanks much for the offer. Unfortunately I am traveling on business and it will be Friday or Saturday before I can take pictures. As soon as I can, I will post some.

Hal
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sidned
Strange, my tweeters were glued into the housing, had to use a Dremel to gut them out so I could reuse the housing. I think my threaded outer housing was on the 968, not the 993.

EDIT: After thinking about this I do remember there being a snap in type clip on the tweeter "frame" but I couldn't get the snap undone. Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right but I couldn't get the tweeter out via the snap, I had to Dremel it out. They were glued into the "frame" though. I think you'll understand what I'm talking about when you open them up and hopefully your snap will work.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 03-01-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Tweeter Repair