You guys, and gals, rock

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys, and gals, rock

I've had my low beam headlight go out a number of times lately. That stupid wire clip keeps coming off. So yesterday I go to the local dealer yesterday to order and buy the clip. Parts guy tells me I must buy a new headlight assembly. Not going to happen I say. He checks with the techs, and they say they have seen it before, might try bending a paper clip to form a new retaining clip. I come back to work, hit the Rennlist, search for "headlight clip" and find out there is a TSB on point, and it provides the new part number for the improved clip and retaing device. Call up parts, order 2 of them, today I pick them up. Yesterday's part guy asks "How did you find this part." Searched on Rennlist, say I. Took about one minute, I add.
This is quite a place.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, comparing the knowledge base here to the dealer is HARDLY a compliment Magee....

(Just giving you a hard time...)
Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

.... and the TSB originally came from another dealer, go figure
Old 02-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Had the exact same experience at the dealer parts dept.(headlight clip TSB). I may as well have been asking him to make me a tuna on rye based on the contemptuous/clueless response I got. Gave him the number (courtesy of Rennlist) and had the last laugh of course...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another convenient thing to own is your own Porsche PET disc, usually found on Ebay. it helps alot when you go to the dealership armed with knowing exactly what you want and with a part number, especially when you are up against a less than motivated parts counter person. also, it might take a magnifying glass to read it, but a lot of part numbers are cast, stamped, printed, etc. right on the old part it self.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

eh.. just that typical parts guy doesn't want to work to hard is my guess... god forbid they actually research something for a customer that makes them LESS money...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My local Porsche parts department became used to me calling and ordering parts by part number. All they would do is check their PET to see if my parts might be superceded...

Quick Reply: You guys, and gals, rock