Self dimming mirror wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Miker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self dimming mirror wiring

Hi,

I just purchased and mounted a self dimming interior rear view mirror from Gert Carnewal in my '97 993 Cab. I routed the wires from the mirror to the area behind my heater A/C control, per the instructions.

I am at a loss as how to wire it, since the instructions that came with it do not match anything in my car.

The wires from the mirror harness are Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue/black, and Brown/black.

Does anyone know where the 5 wires from the mirror connect?

Thanks

Miker
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hi, I could get you the TSB for this, but you need a membership in order to be able to download it, sorry about that
Old 02-26-2007, 07:44 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

here you go

Last edited by geolab; 11-02-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Miker
Intermediate

Lightbulb TSB

Hi,

I already have this TSB. The problem I am having is that the wire colors as described in the TSB, do not match the actual wire colors of the mirror harness.

The actual wires from the mirror harness are Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue/black, and Brown/black.

I am assuming that I need only to connect to switched +12v power, ground(normally Brown), and to the backup light signal, and that two other wires in the mirror harness are not used. If this is correct, I still need to know:

1. Which color wire is the power lead for the mirror?

2. Which color wire goes to the backup light sensor?

3. When connecting the backup light sensor wire of the mirror to the heater/AC harness plug G21 (or G7, depending on VIN #), is the TSB referring to pin 21 (or pin 7) of the "G" Connector?

4. If I cannot find the correct heater/AC harness pin for the backup light, can I just connect the backup light sensor wire from the mirror harness to the +12v wire that goes to backup light itself?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Miker
Old 02-26-2007, 09:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Miker
Hi,

I already have this TSB. The problem I am having is that the wire colors as described in the TSB, do not match the actual wire colors of the mirror harness.

The actual wires from the mirror harness are Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue/black, and Brown/black.

I am assuming that I need only to connect to switched +12v power, ground(normally Brown), and to the backup light signal, and that two other wires in the mirror harness are not used. If this is correct, I still need to know:

1. Which color wire is the power lead for the mirror?

2. Which color wire goes to the backup light sensor?

3. When connecting the backup light sensor wire of the mirror to the heater/AC harness plug G21 (or G7, depending on VIN #), is the TSB referring to pin 21 (or pin 7) of the "G" Connector?

4. If I cannot find the correct heater/AC harness pin for the backup light, can I just connect the backup light sensor wire from the mirror harness to the +12v wire that goes to backup light itself?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Miker
Are you sure you have this TSB, and are you sure you have an original porsche rear view mirror?
If the mirror is original porsche, it might be for the newer models, get the new TSB and you will be allright.
yes G27 is pin 27
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Miker
Intermediate

Question Mirror TSB

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know where I can find the TSB for the newer cars?

Also, it is possible that this is an Audi mirror. Purchased it from Gert Carnewal.

Do you know if I will damage the mirror if I try to find the correct wiring by trial and error? Most likely, this would involve connecting the various wires from the mirror harness to Gnd and +12v, and seeing how the mirror reacts.

Miker
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

I thought you had access to TSB's, I get them from the dealer. I will try to see if there is one for new model cars.
Does your mirror have any inscription on? part number?
Simplest is to call Gert.
For trial and error, I feel you are tempted to do so.
First try with an Ohm (volt)meter, check where current flows in a loop.
Tape the photocell front, and measure.
Tape the rear photocell, measure.
This way you will be left with less alternatives to try on live 12 volts
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

here is the one for the 996 model, looks better.
Apply the cable color codes from this TSB to the old one
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
6827_1998_96118.pdf (58.4 KB, 478 views)
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
pezza
Racer

What was the solution on this, what color wires did you connect into the reverse signal, power and earth?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Miker
Intermediate

Hi,

I finally had to do it by trial and error.

As I remember, since it has been several months since I got the mirror working (and by the way I absolutely love it, especially in my cab), power and ground were fairly easy to figure out from the tsb listed in the post above from geolab. I think the wires may have changed color thru the supplied harness connector.

I had to experiment a bit to figure out which wire to connect to the reverse signal (which is just a +12v signal when reverse is engaged).

If you have a spare 12v battery (or you can use the one in the car) you can easily determine which wires need to get connected by trial and error. There are also two extra wires which are meant to transfer the +12v reverse signal to two self dimming side view mirrors, if your car has these installed (most likely you do not have these if you are installing the mirror as a replacement for a standard mirror, and you will not use these wires at all).

As I recall, there is a black/orange (or possibly a red) wire that connects to a switched 12v source, and a brown wire which connects to a permanent ground. With just these two wires connected, you can check the functioning of the mirror. It will dim if you put a piece of black tape over the front facing sensor. (This simulates a brighter light in the rear facing sensor, which causes the mirror to dim.) Adding a +12v signal to one of the other wires (which simulates a "reverse engaged" signal) will override this dimming. You obviously do not want the mirror to be dimmed while backing up. I'm sorry but I don't remember the color of the third connected wire.

As long as you get the power and ground connected properly, I don't think you can do any damage by connecting a +12v "test" signal to any of the other wires.

If in doubt, the color brown almost always represents a ground connection.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 AM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in this, any chance to see that TSB. I have the mirror and i want to retrofit to 964.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 AM
Miker
Intermediate

See the post 2 above mine, and open the pdf of the tsb.

Here it is again, in case there is a problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...1998_96118.pdf

Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this install in 2007. The mirror Gert supplied is an Audi part but is apparently original kit. I remember it came with a short loom on the mirror and an extended loom that had to be attached to the mirrors wiring. The wiring colours were different than the 993 TSB but I was able to figure it out using both the 993 TSB and the 996 TSB and reading through both very carefully. Everything worked fine once the connections were made behind the HVAC. I have some notes I made at home although I am in China now and wont be back there for a couple of weeks. If you are still struggling let me know and I will dig them out when I return home.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 AM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be great. However, my mirror is also an audi part, but it has only 3 wires. The biggest problem is the mounting base...

Quick Reply: Self dimming mirror wiring