Sponsored by:

HELP with seat removal - chip install UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down HELP with seat removal - chip install UPDATE

Today's victory goes to the bolt. After using a brand new allen wrench - 6mm - and penatrating oil; after trying to cut a screwdriver slot in the bolt head (we did) - more penatrating oil - THE BOLT WILL NOT BREAK LOOSE So I have resigned until tomorrow when we'll try an "easy out" to see if we can get the bolt out. If not - off with the head and then the "easy out" - new bolt in either case. The good news is I was able to disconnect motronics from cable after removing the bolts holding it in place, did open the box and swap the chip. Can't get cable back connected dispite two cuts and over an hour of trying. So far this easy DIY has taken 5 hours and we aren't done yet. So much for the easy DIY (it would be if the saet bolts came out or Porsche used a bolt made with something otherthan cheese). Thanks for earlier suggestions. I surrender

Peter
Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I went through the same exercise this week. One bolt did not move. I grinded the head down with a Dremel and used 2 cutoff wheels. It took me 20 minutes because access was still limited. If you do not have a Dremel, this is the time to buy ...

Erik

P.S. Replace all screws. I got them at Home Depot for about 50 ct each.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Peter,

Sometimes just a few taps with a hammer and chisel in a CCW direction will get the bolt loose, quicker than an easy-out.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

i too did my install this weekend. had the same hassle with the security bolts. ended up just drilling them with a standard drill bit. 3 came out by driving a flat tip screw driver into the hole I drilled and backing the whole bolt out. the one that wouldn't budge I drilled the bolt head off and the remaining thread just spun out of the hole with the drill bit. a pain but not too tough.

I'm having other issues - after idling for a minute with the new chip in it the motor quit. won't restart. Steve was very responsive via email and we are diagnosing it. I will put the stock chip back in and I'm also wondering if the DME relay failed. hopefully I'll get to run the new chip soon!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Well
I consider myself lucky. A few weeks ago, I swapped both seats for the same kind, just newer, and my bolts were no issues. So when it came time to swap the chip, it was done in no time!
Hang in there, it was worth the wait for me.
Ron
Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

What size are the bolts? I will get some machine grade bolts from work. I fought with this in my old car when I changed the seats. I am going to take these soft bolts out of my new car and replace them with hardened steel or stainless bolts when I swap seats this time.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I confused. Do you guys have ABD with the extra box or ???

I was able to move the seat back, unbolt the motronic box with a 1/4" drive ratchet and swap everything out in about 10 minutes. But, I don't have anything under the seat except the motronic box.

BTW, did some testing yesterday. New post to follow.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
I confused. Do you guys have ABD with the extra box or ???

I was able to move the seat back, unbolt the motronic box with a 1/4" drive ratchet and swap everything out in about 10 minutes. But, I don't have anything under the seat except the motronic box.

BTW, did some testing yesterday. New post to follow.
Someone has been in your box. Hex bolts were NOT factory.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by Topless in Temecula
Today's victory goes to the bolt. After using a brand new allen wrench - 6mm - and penatrating oil; after trying to cut a screwdriver slot in the bolt head (we did) - more penatrating oil - THE BOLT WILL NOT BREAK LOOSE So I have resigned until tomorrow when we'll try an "easy out" to see if we can get the bolt out. If not - off with the head and then the "easy out" - new bolt in either case. The good news is I was able to disconnect motronics from cable after removing the bolts holding it in place, did open the box and swap the chip. Can't get cable back connected dispite two cuts and over an hour of trying. So far this easy DIY has taken 5 hours and we aren't done yet. So much for the easy DIY (it would be if the saet bolts came out or Porsche used a bolt made with something otherthan cheese). Thanks for earlier suggestions. I surrender

Peter
HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you try heat????????
Old 02-26-2007, 01:37 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
Someone has been in your box. Hex bolts were NOT factory.
I don't think so. The box and tabs were pristine with no marks whatsoever. The plug also looked like it had never been undone, but who knows?

My motronic box is held in with two hex bolts toward the rear and two studs with hex nuts toward the front. All is accessible without removing the seat. But, I do not have LSD/ABD or anything like that.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

According to most, ALL 993's left the factory with security bolts NOT hex bolts.

But I do not know that first hand-just information from Steve Weiner at Rennsports and my tech here in KY.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

similar to others, I too didn't have the security bolts and the ECU was unmolested (unless the whole dang thing was replaced at some point in the past). The box was just secured to the frame by four 10mm nuts. chip came out, chip went in, did the whole start procedure and off I went...no issues.

My highly technical A/B comparison was my 12 year old daughter who likes to ride with me. In her final analysis, she concluded the car goes faster. Good enough for me....
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
According to most, ALL 993's left the factory with security bolts NOT hex bolts.
PAG didn't start using the shear bolts until they started shipping cars out with driveblock so chances are that early model examples (and then some) won't have them?

Quick Reply: HELP with seat removal - chip install UPDATE