Sponsored by:

San Diego Vendor for Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:04 PM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Diego Vendor for Helmet?

Can anyone suggest a good place in San Diego (or better yet, in North County) that has a wide selection of helmets? I should probably just buy a $200 - $300 unit off Ebay, but this way, I get to go find the perfect fit and talk myself into spending way more than I should!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Darrell E
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You might try calling Dave Turner Motorsports in SD. I bought some Simpson harnesses from them years ago and was happy with their service. The number I have for them is (858)268-2244.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:39 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrell E
You might try calling Dave Turner Motorsports in SD. I bought some Simpson harnesses from them years ago and was happy with their service. The number I have for them is (858)268-2244.
+1 on Dave Turner, they have Simpson, Bell & others in full & open face and are kind of behind San Diego Harley-Davidson in Kearny Mesa.

I've bought a few helmets, driving suits and a lot of colored duct tape from them and have always been satisfied......no affil etc.

ZP44
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 PM
touf
Pro

Dave Turner's shop is now called JMC Motorsports and they are located on Ruffner Street in Clairemont.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 PM
avidtest
Racer

Excellent. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:37 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you mentioned Kearney Mesa, i definitely remember getting great service and prices there back around '90(!) when I replaced my stolen MR2 seats with sweet Recaros! Had enought insurance money left vs. the Toyota Part$ and $ervice route to get also a sweet Momo F1 wheel and fix my AC. All told, a $2,300 claim made by the shop that left my car out all night on the corner of College and Montezuma (duh!) Drove around with a lo-boy beach chair for a driver's seat 'till the order came in. Ah, the reckless days of youth.

But back to your question, when I started at SDSU, I rolled a Honda scooter. I was scratching my head trying to think what kind of helmet I had then. That would be...none! That was LEGAL then. Also amazing. But later when i worked at American Honda, I got a sweet deal on an Arai Signet GT. A wonderful piece of craftsmanship and very light and comfortable. Shoei is also excellent if your dome is shaped for it. I know that Bell and Simpson are more "car-oriented," but I'm pretty sure that the MC brands are universally considered better products.

Quick Reply: San Diego Vendor for Helmet?