Sponsored by:

993 Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
eswartz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Paint Question

I hit a patch of ice last week, slid sideways into a tree and dented my passenger door. Insurance will cover the door replacement. To do it right, I was told that entire right side of the car will need to be repainted; color blended in and then sprayed with two coats of clear. While the work is being done, I was going to have the shop do several other things to spruce up the car.

Does anyone have an idea of what to expect for cost?

1) I am having them remove the bumperettes. The respray of the bumper will be covered by my accident, but the filling of the bumperettes will not.

2) There is a small problem with the hood, and paint is lifting fronm the cowl, around the windshield. The hood was painted at some point in the car's life. They did a bad job. So, I will be painting the entire front end of the car. They will need to remove the windshield.

3) I was also going to remove the basket handle, have them fill in the holes and add the split grill.

These guys are top notch. I just want to get some input on other Rennlister's experience and ideas from a cost stand point.

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Ethan,
With that much paint work pending, I would seriously consider a full re-spray. I'm not sure what a proper re-spray costs, but it seems like you would be happier if the entire car had the same paint once this was all said and done.

Andreas
Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,218 Likes on 1,853 Posts

My cab had a full respray for about $9k by a top p-car dealer in LA.

I agree with Andreas, you basically have the other rear and door to respray if you're respray the hood (not clear) because you'll want to blend into the fender of the side without the damage also.

If you contemplate this, Painting the roof is a pain and expensive. If you don't need to roof done, you may want to have them quote on the full car minus the roof.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep...about 8-9k for a quality, windows-out job. There is a guy locally who can do a full re-spray for about $4k, but I sure wouldnt cut corners in the paint department.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 PM
eswartz
Intermediate

I see what you guys are saying. I have been thinking the same thing. If I'm doing all this work; it should look good. So do I do the left side of the car and the roof too? Today they filled the bumperette holes. He's working the numbers for me on the deck lid, filling those holes and painting. These guys work on p-cars all the time, and do some other high end stuff. He's working on a Bently right now. The manager of the shop pointed out things in the paint and car, that I hadn't even noticed. He's got a real eye.

My quandry is the fact that the car is good overall. Paint is in decent shape, with exception of the hood. The only thing that bugs me is the guard underneath the door sills. They've discolored over the years. So when they paint the right side, it will look great and the left side will be off.

The other thing is, this is my daily driver. So, do I go the extra mile and paint the entire car, or just the hood, rear deck, and the left door sill? I'm in a quandry. I guess his numbers on Monday should provide fruther thought.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:13 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Thats what my local paintshop often tells me when I come there and want to do touch ups.. Somewhere you have to draw the line as to what you can accept.. Touchups all around the car quickly becomes more expensive than a total respray, just as Andreas says.. My guess would be somewhere in the 2K region for a total respray... Just my 2cents..
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Thats what my local paintshop often tells me when I come there and want to do touch ups.. Somewhere you have to draw the line as to what you can accept.. Touchups all around the car quickly becomes more expensive than a total respray, just as Andreas says.. My guess would be somewhere in the 2K region for a total respray... Just my 2cents..
2K?????? Is that a misprint????
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vhanzon, not in the US for that kind of money, X 3 plus for a correct job..
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
eswartz
Intermediate

They were thinking $1200 for just the front end. For filling in the holes on the rear decklid, welding the and then painting, they are ball parking $600. So, all that's left is the left side of the car and the top.

It's starting to sound like I should do a whole respray for an extra 2K or so. I'll have to see their quote.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 PM
V
Rennlist Member

No it was not a misstype.. However I replied just after readings Andreas post without reading the rest.. DAMN, you guys pay 9000usd for a full respray? Are you kidding me?? A friend of mine has a paintshop of his own so I get good deals with him. He would mine for ~2K.. But thats exterior ofcourse (e.g not removing the entire engine etc) and also without taking out the windows.. Since pretty much everything else seems to be cheeper in the US, looks like I finally found something that isn't
Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

ive been told $10k from a very high end concours winning porsche shop for a full repaint ... this basically means taking the entire car apart and you can paint to the color of your choice. Might be a little cheaper if you are keeping the original color.

Based on your avitar, it appears you have polar silver (me too). Polar is a very hard color to match, so you need to find a good shop that can blend it properly.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

eswartz, is the $1200 job the hood, cowl and front bumper work and include the bumper/fender piping seals and the cowl fender seal replacement?

they are painting and installing the rear S grill and fill the decklid holes and repaint for $600.00?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
eswartz
Intermediate

Sorry, need to clarify. The bumper is included in the insurance, which covers the right side of the car. I would buy the split grill, they would install and fill the weld the two holes and paint the rear deck lid for around $600. So. the $1,200 would cover taking out the windshield, painting the front cowl the hood and the left wheel well up to the left door.

So with the $500 deductible pluse the $1,200 and then the $600 for the rear deck lid, we are at $2,300. At this point, the bumperettes are filled, the entire front, the right side of the car as well as the rear deck lid are painted.

Do you think another 2k gets done the left door, left quarter panel painted plus the roof?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 PM
roebedo
Instructor

Ethan,

I'm doing some similar work right now. The car should be done and ready to pick-up next week. so I'll post actual cost then. Here's some of the work being done:

1.) replace driver door (long story but it started with a dead battery)
2.) replace driver window frame (goes along with the long story above)
3.) re-finish/paint complete front-end- bumper, fenders, hood, side mirrors
4.) install, prep/paint Turbo S Wing (MA Shaw Wing) OEM inner and outer grill (thats the only way it was going to work for me)
5.) re-finish rear fenders/install new stone guards (I call them expensive stickers)
6.) install new inner fender liners.

The insurance co. is covering 1 fender, door, and window frame. and some R/I work in the areas.

I think I'll be in the 6K range when I'm done + my deductible. The wing was a pain in the a$$, but they really pulled off with a great job!

This is how I'm breaking it down..

Wing - Guessing $2,000.00 I supplied all parts including OEM grills
Inner Fenders - $860.00 If I can remember my quote correctly
Front End - $2,600 - $3,000 (includes Bumper, Fenders, Hood, Side Mirrors, replace all rubber, remove and install windshield rubber etc.)
Fix oil leak - replaced valve cover gaskets (I don’t know what they are charging for this yet)

Again... I'll re-post the actual break down next week, but here are some pics of the progress
Attached Images      

Last edited by roebedo; 02-24-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:46 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

is your car silver?? you have probably seen my rants on panel painting, if its a silver i can almost guarantee you you wont be happy if they stop right at a fender or door edge. other colors are a little more forgiveable, but aged metallics especially the king of metallic (silver) is tough. it usually needs blended into one panel or another if its a complete seperate 1/4 panel, door, or f fender paint.

territory plays on end cost big time, my bud's shop rate is $46.00 an hour, some shops are much higher and some a little lower.

the thing with Porsches and even most cars if you dont remove all the plastic, metal and rubber trim it is very hard to get a nice finished edge up against a piece of rubber trim that will look good and eliminate the tendancy from peeling of the paint and clear coat. they also have to sand the primer and paint and buff it out and there is always a chance of the ruining the trim etc with a sander or buffer.

another one of my big peeves is not getting things masked off correctly and have overspray every where its not supposed to be, like paint on the door window trim, bumper seals etc. it can make or break a paint job, poorly masked doorboxes, hood or trunk boxes are dead give aways for a crap job and can seriously hurt the value of your car. the bottom line is, you will pay for a skilled tradesman that shares the same pristine values of job quality number one as you do. do a search on Steves "Rufus", he posted some pics as it was going in for a facelift. he could probably give you some ideas too. you might relate to the painter that the car isnt just an old edsel and you are a pickey son of a gun. thats my 2 cents and rant. good luck

and it looks like Mike has a real recent handle on it and he can offer some tips also. Looks good Mike!

Quick Reply: 993 Paint Question