Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isn't it amazing more people don't hit our 993's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Terry- Did you get the "compact" or "ultra compact"? (The red one or the black one.) Just want to be sure I get the right one. Might get one for my DD as well. (Taurus)

-Jim
Black Ultra Compact - post edited. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting to pull out of a parking lot behind an old guy in big black Lincoln a few weeks ago, when all of a sudden his reverse lights came on, and he floors it, right into my flawless turbo bumper. He was very apologetic and said he'd "changed his mind." I was totally speechless.

In true Rennlist fashion, my flawless turbo bumper will now become a flawless Euro-turbo bumper, with clear corners and turbo S ducts, courtesy of his insurance company.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:09 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tankertoad
I'm never bored driving as I'm always assessing closure rates, relative speeds, unusual behavior, and the like. I even try to be aware of what's going on in the next lane over in the event I need to make an evasive maneuver in that direction.
+1 Situational awareness is life ........ZP44
Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 PM
tankertoad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Love that comment. My friends also laugh when I dramatically raise my hand to the horn, poised for action, always on the ready to beep the buy who's edging into my lane .

I know in the real world of heavy Washington DC traffic I'm eventually going to get hit again, I just try to avoid it with as much defensive thinking as possible. It reminds me of that old video game Pong for some reason. It's really one big game, a game to keep my car looking good and in one piece.

Steve R

WOW, That's a Magnavox Odyssey Game Console from the early 70s! My family had one and still does. It has these cool plastic sheets that use static to cling to the TV screen. Ah, nostalgia!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:08 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tankertoad
WOW, That's a Magnavox Odyssey Game Console from the early 70s! My family had one and still does. It has these cool plastic sheets that use static to cling to the TV screen. Ah, nostalgia!
I hope your really good playing it by now.........LOL

ZP44
Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the red eye-talian horn from Griot's. I don't know if the internals are different from the black one, but I didn't want it too high-pitched. I like it. It sounds like a sports car horn. The old horn(Porsche trumpet horns) made the car sound like a sick Buick. It was a bit of a challenge mounting the Griot's horn, but I was able to use an L bracket and fit it in there.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:28 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Waiting to pull out of a parking lot behind an old guy in big black Lincoln a few weeks ago, when all of a sudden his reverse lights came on, and he floors it, right into my flawless turbo bumper. He was very apologetic and said he'd "changed his mind." I was totally speechless.

In true Rennlist fashion, my flawless turbo bumper will now become a flawless Euro-turbo bumper, with clear corners and turbo S ducts, courtesy of his insurance company.
Sorry to hear about that. Something similar happened to me two weeks ago. I was stopped in a line of traffic getting out of a parking garage, and a guy to my right backed out of his parking space straight into me. He smacked me just behind the right rear wheel, but the damage was confined to the bumper cover itself. It will probably only take a repaint to fix (crossing fingers). Was it wrong of me to think, even before the anger and adrenaline had bled off, that I wished he had hit my front bumper so that I could replace it with a turbo bumper?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:29 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Developed this skill after riding motorcycles for a few years.
i agree !! drive a bike makes you paranoics on everybody else around you ...
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumper graze update: The scuff mark came off with some Quik Detailer and elbow grease. Yippee!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I drive very defensive in my DD and my P Car. On Friday driving in my DD I let to cars speed by me.
As we were cresting a slight hill I see a School Bus in right line (on highway) with lights flashing picking up the youngins. So I slow down and put hazards on to warn those behind me. Well the 2 that passed me didn't slow down. The one in front jams on his brakes at last minute and the car behind him literally creamed him.
In regards to horns I have 2 Hella Horns in my DD which is an STI Ltd. I plan on putting 'something' different in the PCar.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993Dave
Was it wrong of me to think, even before the anger and adrenaline had bled off, that I wished he had hit my front bumper so that I could replace it with a turbo bumper?
No. I think that is a relatively normal psychosis around here.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was stopped at a light yesterday (3rd car in line) and after about 30-45 seconds there was a loud bang as the seat back slapped me hard in the head. A RAV4 had rear ended my newly acquired 993 The bumper doesn't appear to be displaced, but I will at least need a new cap. I start the quote process this week.

-John
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCh
I was stopped at a light yesterday (3rd car in line) and after about 30-45 seconds there was a loud bang as the seat back slapped me hard in the head. A RAV4 had rear ended my newly acquired 993 The bumper doesn't appear to be displaced, but I will at least need a new cap. I start the quote process this week.

-John
Sorry to hear that. I am purchasing my first 993 this week, and that thought already went through my mind! I'm going to be a stress case for a while.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes me glad that I don't have a "daily drive". It sucks being gone for a week at a time, but driving to work only twice a month is also very nice... especially since my wife does the driving and drops me off. My 993 is basically for pleasure drives and the occasional errand only which really limits my exposure to traffic congestion.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

"Situational Awareness" fellas...as in anticipating what the non-thinking, non-driving, non-looking, idiots all around you will do. For example, while driving to the movies with wife the other night, I'm behind a lifted 4x4. Mind you, it's at night, and my 993 is BLACK with the standard headlights--which are the equivalent of two Target hand held flash lights. I move out from behind him because I can't see, and see that's he's right up on the car in front of him, trying to intimidate it. This let's me know immediately, he's an idiot, an @ssh*le, or both. Hence, when I finally decide to move past him, I'm ready when he starts coming over into me. I'm 99% sure he didn't see me but I was ready to take evasive action because I anticipated his move before he did it. That is our only defense...out thinking the dummies before they get you. When I finally get a look at him, it's some teenager, with a ballcap pulled low over his sunglass covered EYES!

Predict stupidity before it occurs, and enjoy your Porsche!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Isn't it amazing more people don't hit our 993's?