Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   dialing in PSS9 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/332836-dialing-in-pss9.html)

avidtest 02-22-2007 04:56 PM

dialing in PSS9

Hi gang,

The tinkering begins. I was just out in the garage and adjusted the Bilstein firmness settings. One question, the dials on the rear shocks did not 'click' like the front ones did. I set them on what appears to be the '4' setting (fronts on '5'). Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference yet (they were all on '9' prior to my adjustment). I'll try '1' all the way around next, just to see if there is a difference in feel, but in the meantime, is it a problem that the rear dials did not 'click'?

Mark in Baltimore 02-22-2007 05:08 PM

You'll need to sand down the calluses on your fingers and do your best "Light Fingers Louie" safecracker impression to feel the smooth detents on the PSS-9's. If your knob spins around helplessly, you've got problems with the shock.

TheOtherEric 02-22-2007 05:10 PM

You should be able to tell a difference from 9 to 1 on the street. I find 9 to be bouncy, and 1 to be jaw rattling. I hope your knobs aren't spinning like Mark mentioned.

avidtest 02-22-2007 08:57 PM

No, they're not spinning helplessly. It's just that the fronts had a nice audible click for each setting that I could feel, whereas the rears did not.

DaveM993 02-22-2007 09:27 PM

There is a definite difference in mine as well. The fronts have a definite detent. The back, not so much so you need to pay attention. So sounds like they are fine otherwise.

Toddimus 02-23-2007 12:45 AM

Hi folks

I'm kinda new to the 993 and PSS9s, but the PO has previously installed PSS9s. They're currently set on full firm, but I'm wondering the same thing... what levels of damping does everybody use? My local mechanic says middle on the fronts and full firm on the rears.

Also, does anybody have the owner's manual or instruction booklet for the PSS9s? The PO didn't have it, nor did he have the wrenches to change the spring seats. It's corner balanced by his shop, so I don't really think I'll need them anytime soon.

Dumb question, and I know I could do a search, but what direction do you turn them to firm/soften?

Cheers

tankertoad 02-23-2007 02:03 AM

Try 7R/8F and firm it up from there.

TroyN 02-23-2007 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Toddimus
Hi folks

I'm kinda new to the 993 and PSS9s, but the PO has previously installed PSS9s. They're currently set on full firm, but I'm wondering the same thing... what levels of damping does everybody use? My local mechanic says middle on the fronts and full firm on the rears.

Also, does anybody have the owner's manual or instruction booklet for the PSS9s? The PO didn't have it, nor did he have the wrenches to change the spring seats. It's corner balanced by his shop, so I don't really think I'll need them anytime soon.

Dumb question, and I know I could do a search, but what direction do you turn them to firm/soften?

Cheers

Most seem to run a differential of 1 or 2 stiffer (lower #) in the rear vs. the front. I'm 1/1, incidentally. Dial clock-wise for softer, counter for firmer. If you search on pss9, you'll find suggestions all over the place, but generally 5 and firmer.

There really is not an instruction booklet, even the installation paperwork is pretty useless.

dhicks 02-23-2007 08:28 AM

Suggest you try 9 all round then mid range 5-7 then full firm 1s and see which you like best.....I have played with mine a lot (no smirking in the back of the class please) and have settled on 5/6 for daily driving, but the thing I love is knowing come sunny weather again I can swop to 1/2 in 5 mins for a sunny spirited drive through the country or for an AX event.

As to the back adjusters, make sure the wheel is tight, one of mine was loose and not really truning the setting. Tightened up it is now fine, but not as "clicky" as the fronts....enjoy

DaveM993 02-23-2007 08:55 AM

I am lazy....9/9 daily, 1/1 track...no need to count clicks!!!

Don Magee 02-23-2007 10:43 AM

The adjustment knobs are held on by a small allen wrench type screw. To improve the detent feel somewhat, loosen the allen wrench screw, press the adjustment knob firmly inward and tighten the allen wrench head back while pressing in on the adjustment knob. Did that make any sense? It helps a tad. FYI I run full stiff rear, one click softer on the front.

Toddimus 02-23-2007 11:00 PM

Thanks folks, that's exactly the input I was looking for!

pedsurg 01-08-2008 05:42 PM

Has anyone found it necessary to change their settings after the addition shock tower strut bar ??
Jack

Mark in Baltimore 01-08-2008 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by pedsurg (Post 4960964)
Has anyone found it necessary to change their settings after the addition shock tower strut bar ??
Jack

Absolutely, positively, unequivocally no need to change the settings after the addition of a shock tower strut bar.

DaveM993 01-08-2008 06:51 PM

^^^ what he said.