Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: MY EYES! IT BURNS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My initial diagnosis aside, it actually looks like something that got laughed out of the Aston Martin design studio.

Loved the artist renderings and initial mock ups. How did we get from there to here?!?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Matt is correct. They have disguised it with tape and false panels. That is a typical manufacturer's trick to foil spy photographers and lull the competition into thinking it will be ugly. Of course, after the tape and false panels come off.....it may still be ugly.

I do think it kind of degrades the Porsche marque....although, not as bad as the Cayenne.

It's kind of sad. At least with Jaguar, Volvo and Saab, you can blame a major manufacturer for buying up the brand and prostituting it. With Porsche......

JoH
Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Someone took a cayenne, drove it to the scrapyard, shoved it in the press, and stopped halfway.

When all they should've done was keep going !

Peter R.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Randy 1
Racer

I for one don't think premises like this degrade the Porsche marque. If you take the narrowest view that Porsche builds race cars tuned for the streets, then yes, the Cayenne and Panamera are off the mark.

But if we regard Porsche as a producer of the highest performing machines in their respective segments, I think the Cayenne and Panamera absolutely deserve to wear the badge. Say what you will about the Cayenne...and you'll get no discord from me that it's an ugly-mobile...but you also have to admit that the thing is a technological marvel. To whit: they're able to get a car that probably weighs somewhere around 2.5x more than our cars to accelerate quicker than a NA 993. Much quicker. It also handles sports car-esque, no small feat when dealing with that much mass.

Similarly, building performance sedans hasn't degraded BMW's brand equity. Personally, I think BMW's are for nancy-boys, but that doesn't mean they don't build a solid ride, and as their performance in autocrosses and enduro events show, they're also plenty fast.

A properly executed 2+2 that shows those apes over at BMW, M-B, and Aston-Martin how we do would be a welcome addition. Emphasis on properly executed.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

No way that is ther real deal! My guess is that it is heavily disguised to look like it is not. Does thet make any sense?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
"four-door version of the 928" is really an insult to the 928. I'm calling it a neutered Cayenne.

That is just too funny and true. I agree it looks like someone stepped on a Cayenne. BTW the 928 is a great car and I for one would be happy to see a 2 door version of the panamara.

Now as others said, lets not forget it is a test bed and not like what the final product will look like. They need to sort out the handling and other issues with a 4 door vehicle and although most so called "enthusiasts" don't like the Cayenne, I love mine. My CT is faster than a stock 993, handles quite well for a big and heavy and can go off road and malls without the concern or worry I would have with my other Porsche's. So for me it fills a need and I am thankful to have a CT vs a BMW X or MB ML to fill that need.

The only prototypes that ever looked good from Porsche were the Boxster and CGT and these were car show versions vs test beds. Although the Boxster prototype IMO was a far better looking car than the actual product and the CGT prototype looked almost identical.

I would not pass judgment on this car before you see the end product or have a chance to drive one.

At least Porsche has been moving in the right direction with the 997 over the 996. It takes time to make large scale changes without falling on your face and Porsche is an ever changing business.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Hmmm...Perhaps when they remove all that black tape and plastic it'll look like this (one can only hope)...
I'm with Matt... withholding judgement til the camo comes off. (I do hope it looks like the pics he posted)

As to further degrading the marque, I don't think so. I'd say the GT-3 and GT-3RS are incredible sportscars. Properly optioned the Carrera and the Cayman S are wonderful too.

Porsche AG is now just targeting more segments than they once did. I'm confident the shareholders like the results.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla

blechh. why is it so tall?
room in the headliner for flat panels for the kiddies in back to play PS4 on?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 PM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ehhhh ... looks like a 1980 renault 30 ....
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

No one should be too disappointed how it looks. Remember it's suppose to fill the void of an evening 4 door sedan. If you want a sports coupe, you can always buy a hmmm, a 911?! I assume Porsche figures if the affluent 911 customer wants a family sedan and are contemplating a 4 door mercedes, why not throw a 4 door Porsche their way. After all, the cayenne turbo is selling like hot cakes and may be the only SUV that can hit 170mph. I think Porsche's strategy is fine as long as they don't lose their minds and consider buying Chrysler from mercedes.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 130 Posts

Yikes!
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the silver one, that black one with all the extra camo sucks.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Hmmm...Perhaps when they remove all that black tape and plastic it'll look like this (one can only hope)...
I like it as above. Scoped out the CLS but it's E class interior and rear seating for two ended that. The panamera will probably handle awesomely. PCCB for it is kinda ridiculous though. Hoping for the best..
Old 02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

BFU
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24FPS
room in the headliner for flat panels for the kiddies in back to play PS4 on?
Designed by Citroen?

Quick Reply: OT: MY EYES! IT BURNS!