Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 993 C2: Wide or Narrow? Tiptronic or 6-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm going to keep my quest open - and consider equally and without prejudice both manual and tip narrow body 993s.

Good for you and best wishes in your search.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crownvic
I think I'm going to keep my quest open - and consider equally and without prejudice both manual and tip narrow body 993s.
GOOD for you!!!!

g-luck on your search!

I've I lived in europe, I'd have you come take mine for a test drive and you'd probably be driving mine home.. lol
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hi Geolab,

I see from your avatar that your plates are German - is this to avoid the French radar plague which victimizes Porschists and mere mortals alike, or are you an importer of cars from the Fatherland?
Hi Vic, yes those plates are the temporary (red) 1 month german plates that the dealer
in dusseldorf gave me when I purchased the car from Porsche. The picture was taken then .
I am in finance.

Being from Paris, you ought to know what city racing is like, even if you probably don't do it unless compelled by serious mandates of destiny.
I seriously do not do it.
By the way, have you ever driven a Tiptronic in Paris traffic? This would be an ideal test, especially at rush hour - what's the verdict?
I have extensively driven my ex-996 turbo in paris traffic, and it was hectic, never again.
tiptronic was a dream come true.

Regarding the Tiptronic, is seems that it is indeed very fast at shifting, thus has a well engineered shifter mechanism. However, from what Chris mentions about intuitively anticipating shifts to allow for gear change lag - mind you this is real world track experience - it appears that it is the Tiptronics' torque converter which is NOT nearly as quick at applying full torque as its shifter is in changing the ratios.
I was invited at Weissach for several track spins, in the passenger seat of my brand new 997 S tiptronic with a Porsche motorsport official driver.
I had tears drying on my helmet strap when I came out of the car.
I thought at that moment, if this driving can be done, I could do it myself.
The fast shifting with the tiptronic is accomplished only with the accelerator pressed, in acceleration, and deceleration.
How this guy did it downshifting before curbs, he kept his foot on the accelerator, braking with the LEFT foot, and clicking the stick shift at the right speed limit.
speed limits for 993 (at the rpms discussed before):
1st gear - 54kph
2nd gear-128kph
3rd gear-183kph
The speed difference upshifting between manual and tiptronic is so small, you cannot
feel the difference a lot, but downshifting with this guy, was like jolts, instant.
I thought he was going to break the gearbox, but I was confident.
When I asked him about the 993 tiptronic, and if we could do the same, his answer was "even better"

Funny that in Europe the Tiptronic actually sells for more than the stick. Has the market changed, or have Porsche drivers become more sedates, or has European traffic become so congested that one seldom has a chance to open her up on an open road?
question of supply and demand I think, of which, some 997 clients going back.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink It's all in the exhaust note...

Originally Posted by ceboyd
There was a change from gillet to I forget on the style of exhaust connections (oval to round).. or round to oval? ...I dunno, I forget..

but the 95 993 has different exhaust connections than the 96-98
Oh me gosh ! ! !

So this is probably why I find their sound so different - it makes more sense than the Varioram change. I wonder if one can retrofit the older 1995 exhaust headers to a '96 '97 or '98 ? If you've got a mechanical inkling, please let me know.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh me gosh ! ! !

So this is probably why I find their sound so different - it makes more sense than the Varioram change. I wonder if one can retrofit the older 1995 exhaust headers to a '96 '97 or '98 ? If you've got a mechanical inkling, please let me know.
hmmm.. i'm not sure about that...

with the oval to round (or other way around) I'm not sure if the mate up at the block is the same.. In theory it can work but if the 96-98 in europe have OBDII in place, it will cause problems IMHO with the 02 sensors, etc.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh me gosh ! ! !

Different sound???? Unlikely, with a simple change to the shape of the flange where the pipes mate to the cat, not the shape of the pipe. It was a running change in mid '96, from the Bischoff flange to the Gillet flange. Having owned a '96 with Bischoff flanges and a '97 with Gillet flanges, there is no sound difference noticeable by me.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

crownvic, where are you located?
Only the turbo had SAI in Europe in all the 993 line
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

The connection ends are the only difference in between Bischoff and Gillett and do not affect the sound. IIRC, the cats are the same for OBD I and II, so no sound difference there, either. Varioram will sound different than non-Varioram at >4500 RPM (approx) when the Varioram kicks in.

-Jim
Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Cool Joy Rides

Originally Posted by geolab
...I was invited at Weissach for several track spins, in the passenger seat of my brand new 997 S tiptronic with a Porsche motorsport official driver...The fast shifting with the tiptronic is accomplished only with the accelerator pressed, in acceleration, and deceleration. How this guy did it downshifting before curbs, he kept his foot on the accelerator, braking with the LEFT foot, and clicking the stick shift at the right speed limit... downshifting with this guy, was like jolts, instant. I thought he was going to break the gearbox, but I was confident. When I asked him about the 993 tiptronic, and if we could do the same, his answer was "even better"...
Zowee, sounds like a kick *** ride! Especially at downshifts.
Something about the way Germans drive.

This sort of has me wishing for a tiptronic although I'll also consider sticks. Can't wait to learn the technique which must burn some brakes in the process.

BTW I'm in the upper North East of the US if you're familiar with the region.

Vic
Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ceboyd
GOOD for you!!!!

g-luck on your search!

I've I lived in europe, I'd have you come take mine for a test drive and you'd probably be driving mine home.. lol
Originally Posted by crownvic
BTW I'm in the upper North East of the US if you're familiar with the region.

Vic
Vic, I think that you are closer to IL than Europe, and there is a beauty hidden closer than you think.

BTW, I am humbly familiar with the NE. I lived for a short while in queens, riverview. Used to rent a car and go up to the caspesian region driving, down the saint laurent, buffalo and back.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

crownvic, I thought you were in france for some reason... my bad...

if your interesting in my Tip FS, let me know...
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

Crownvic, from what you're saying, Chris' car might well be "the one" for you.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Crownvic, from what you're saying, Chris' car might well be "the one" for you.
or it might be too hard core for him.. not sure.. my race seats aren't exactly quiet or the most comfortable on longer trips.. but at the track, they are the absolute best IMHO
Old 02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Default LOOKING for a mechanically perfect BEATER

Chris,

Shame those hot custom wheels are gone... just kiddin'.

Anyhow, there are several reasons I must pass on your fine ride:

- I forgot to specify, I need a rear seats for my 2 kids, otherwise I'd be looking at mid-engined rocketships. That red roll bar is gorgeous, but might put a dent in their rear ends?

- My use is in unfriendly street conditions, with bumper scrapes and bush rash too. I'd hate to scathe such a mint one-owner original low-mile ride. She's too close to a garage queen for me, even if she's perfectly prepped for the track.

- Low mile 993s are way over-rated by the second hand market, because they attract NEW Porsche buyers, who are turned off by the more industrial conception / build of the 996 and 997. High mile 993s tend to return to normal 10 year old used car pricing, and if they still run strong they're the deal.

- I won't "ever" be tracking the car, so I don't need / want a track setup, just a rockin' street setup which could consist of only a slight lowering and European springs.

Like others here, I fail to understand why your car isn't selling with all of its qualities. Because it's the dead of winter? Because Guards Red is known to be a harder colors to sell? Because she's been tracked? Because she's sandwiched between the markets for "as new, negligeable miles" and "lower priced higher mile cars"? Because she's so customized that she screams "I'm Chris' car"?

In any case your ride is a great value for someone who wants to do just what you do, a mix of street and track. But just between you and me, a picture showing her without the roll bar (and proposing it as optional) might bring you more customers who like me have tots to plunk in back.

Best of luck with the sale.

And if any of you guys know of a nice C2 coupe with 100k+ mile in the mid twenties - don't talk - rush to that PM and I'll be ready to move fast.

Vic
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks.. g-luck on your search Vic !

...and yeah, I get the wierd feeling the rennlist community is secrectly plotting to have me keep my car.. lol

Quick Reply: 1995 993 C2: Wide or Narrow? Tiptronic or 6-speed?