Sponsored by:

Horn intermittent and airbag light problems - airbag contact ring

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Horn intermittent and airbag light problems - airbag contact ring

Ive been chasing this electrical gremlin for a long time. Mine is a 95 with OEM wheel, airbag etc.

Sometimes the horn does not work when the wheel is turned. That was an annoyance, but now the air bag light has been coming on. With the diyhamer, I found that it was fault code 2 on the airbag. Fault code 2 is "Driver ignition circuit leakage resistance / short to ground or leakage resistance / short to positive or above threshold or below threshold." I cleared the code, only for it to come back as soon as I turned the wheel. The fact that it seems like its a continuity problem, makes me think its in the steerng column.

I searched the archives and found only one relevant post on the 993 board:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=32964

Seems like many do not have this problem...

I believe my problem is related to the airbag contact ring. It appears this is a non-serviceable part. I pried the 2 plastic halves apart to reveal a very long flex circuit. By looking at continuity of a trace and moving the flex circuit, ive noted large swings in resistance. Bingo! Hopefully this is the problem.

pelican is listing this as a special order, no return part. Its $166 bucks (OEM-99665221300). Ouch!

Has anyone serviced or attempted repair on this part?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

the spiral connector or "clock spring" is definitely not serviceable. It's a safety critical part just change it.

pp
Old 02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I isolated the open circuit in the flex circuit where it interfaces into the molded plug. Looks like the copper is cracked from the years of stress. I could solder it whatever but like you said its probably not worth it since this control airbag....

Again Im surprised that there is only 1 post on this topic. maybe there will be more failures as these cars age...

Quick Reply: Horn intermittent and airbag light problems - airbag contact ring