Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Topic: Which Dremel to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Off Topic: Which Dremel to buy?

I want to buy a Dremel and was surprised how many models are out there. Which model would you recommend for house / hobby / car use? My main question is if I should go for cordless (Model 8000) but I am concerned about missing torque and short battery life.

Thanks
Erik
Old 02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Erik,

I have two, one cordless and one corded, with a long shaft to drive the tool. I almost never use the corded one. The cordless is just too handy. Yes, it does bog down a bit, but you quickly learn to use a light touch and let rpms do the work.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have the corded one and it works fine. Most of my dremeling is done on my workbench with a vise and a noutlet one foot away, so the power thing is no big deal. Also, I have too many products in my house that need rechargeable batteries (spare me the jokes, you wiseacres ) and hate having to hunt down a replacement battery for this shaver or that walkie talkie or...you get the point.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:20 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a cordless but found it just completely useless due to lack of power, so I just use a corded model. As long as it's variable speed it's probably good enough.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:38 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the portability of my cordless. It makes it so much easier to cut that rusty bolt under the "X" part of the car without having to manuever the car near an outlet or having to get out the extension cord (.....for a Dremel!!!). Just keep it charged and it works great.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:48 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both, I had the cordless first and found it to be weak. The I bought the corded one and it is much faster/more powerful. Now I almost never use the cordless. After about 3 years, the cordless batteries are about worthless too. It is a tradeoff, but IMHO, Having a cord is less of a burden than having less power.

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Which Dremel to buy?