993 Forum 1995-1998

My DIY Muffler Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Jeff, it looks like you'll have basically no mufflers at all after this, more like a really big bypass pipe! Hopefully you won't have resonance with that big empty can.

Which makes me wonder, why doesn't someone make something that just connects the cat to the tip directly (as in the red arrow below - Jeff, I hope you don't mind me stealing your pic). I guess that's basically what a supercup muffler is...

What about a simple turn-down pipe at each outlet of the cat? (asside from the fact that it would look terrible)
I have a set of those with tips on the end, so they look like a standard exhaust. Even though it sounds really sweet, I couldn't take the sound levels for more than 1/2 an hour or so. It gets a little "numbing" after driving on the highway with the whole inside of the car filled with sound.

Had to go back to the Motorsound mufflers.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brucec59
Jeff, it looks like you'll have basically no mufflers at all after this, more like a really big bypass pipe! Hopefully you won't have resonance with that big empty can.

Which makes me wonder, why doesn't someone make something that just connects the cat to the tip directly (as in the red arrow below - Jeff, I hope you don't mind me stealing your pic). I guess that's basically what a supercup muffler is...

What about a simple turn-down pipe at each outlet of the cat? (asside from the fact that it would look terrible)
Originally Posted by Chuck A.
I have a set of those with tips on the end, so they look like a standard exhaust. Even though it sounds really sweet, I couldn't take the sound levels for more than 1/2 an hour or so. It gets a little "numbing" after driving on the highway with the whole inside of the car filled with sound.

Had to go back to the Motorsound mufflers.
I think Chris (aka 993inNC) (DACH) makes his 'Fangs" which are basically turndowns out of the cat (or bypass X-pipe). I figured that was way more sound than I was looking for.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

NOw that I have taken a second on the house you do it for $100 : - ( Oh well. I am on my fourth month on the RSRs and the sound has been getting progressively more aggressive to the point now that when I am in it all the way it is about as loud as I want it to be in the driver's seat. Dumb question----you left out the fiberglass, I assume. ANd I sure hope you wore a face mask. How do you think Johns-Mansville went belly up? Lotsa claims from people breathing that stuff. You are going to risk HWY80 this time of year in your Pcar?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

semi OT but I think you are confusing fiberglass with asbestos. other than itchy skin I don't think his prognosis is very grave great write up by the way. thanks for the detailed pics and info
Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gr8nine93
NOw that I have taken a second on the house you do it for $100 : - ( Oh well. I am on my fourth month on the RSRs and the sound has been getting progressively more aggressive to the point now that when I am in it all the way it is about as loud as I want it to be in the driver's seat. Dumb question----you left out the fiberglass, I assume. ANd I sure hope you wore a face mask. How do you think Johns-Mansville went belly up? Lotsa claims from people breathing that stuff. You are going to risk HWY80 this time of year in your Pcar?
I may have done it for $100, but I wouldn't do it for anyone else for that. Believe me when I say, that Robin (RSR) and Chris (Dach) earn their money when they do their respective muffler mods. I got a deal on the welding, and spent the time... and they are still not as nice as theirs. However, I was able to do this without justifying to the wife why I "needed" new mufflers! Although I probably should have, I didn't wear a mask when I did this. Fortunately, I don't breath that stuff every day. What do you mean by "risking" I-80 this time of year?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:07 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Oops. I meant I-80. You were going to hook up with the guy from "the city". GOing over Donner this time of year is a risk, no?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
I may have done it for $100, but I wouldn't do it for anyone else for that. Believe me when I say, that Robin (RSR) and Chris (Dach) earn their money when they do their respective muffler mods. I got a deal on the welding, and spent the time... and they are still not as nice as theirs. However, I was able to do this without justifying to the wife why I "needed" new mufflers! Although I probably should have, I didn't wear a mask when I did this. Fortunately, I don't breath that stuff every day. What do you mean by "risking" I-80 this time of year?
Not easy is it
To weld the cans back up properly is a 2 hour ordeal (TIG) let alone cutting them open, modifications and cleaning up the cans for the final product.

This is certainly not a $100 task, now that LPMM thing, maybe (never done it).
BTW, thanks for the plugs Jeff I have 3 sets of muffs to be modded if anyone is looking
Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Not easy is it
To weld the cans back up properly is a 2 hour ordeal (TIG) let alone cutting them open, modifications and cleaning up the cans for the final product.

This is certainly not a $100 task, now that LPMM thing, maybe (never done it).
BTW, thanks for the plugs Jeff I have 3 sets of muffs to be modded if anyone is looking
There is a lot of truth to that, that's why no "company" in their right mind offers this service.....

It is easier to build a "new" muffler from scratch than to re-manufacture.

To re-manufacture, the muffler first have to be absolutely clean, it is very difficult to weld any contanminated metal and the welds will not be strong if the welded surface contains contanmination.

Like Chris said TIG weld is a very slow process, but necessary to properly weld up stainless steel. That's why I have never been able to "build up" a good inventory of finished muffler, always drag my feet to make them when someone needs one. LOL!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM
993inNC
Race Car

LOL/LMAO.....OMG that last comment.....thats supposed to be a dirty little secret now you've done it
Old 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

TIG is not the only way to properly weld stainless. With the proper MIG set up, you can also do it. It is a little bit harder to control, but if done properly creates a very nice weld. It is also faster than TIG. Don't get me wrong, TIG can create the most beautiful welds in the world, and is definitely a learned skill . But with the new technology, if done properly, MIG is a great and viable option.
Chris's welder is a master artisan! I love looking at his work.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gr8nine93
Oops. I meant I-80. You were going to hook up with the guy from "the city". GOing over Donner this time of year is a risk, no?
That was written last Feburary, and spring was near. (This thread was resurrected from the dead)

Last edited by 993_Pilot; 12-06-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by FisterD
Chris's welder is a master artisan! I love looking at his work.
I'm sure that will put a huge smile on David's face when he reads this. Thanks a lot.

As for welding with MIG, yes you can but its a PITA, TIG is the way to go!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

Here is a 993tt muffler for comparison

Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I get to TIG weld sometime at work all day long. (Deeply I smile and say to myself, I can't believe I am getting paid to do this! LOL! I love TIG welding)

I run a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, a lot of experimental equipment not to mention equipment to repair. I ran my big mouth one time about knowing how to TIG weld (prior to that we used to contract everything out)... then I ended up being the "official" company TIG welder. Everything have to be food grade (316L stainless, hey that's the same stuff I use to weld up mufflers with LOL!), everything have to be back purged, as you can't have contaminated metal in the inside of the pipe that pumps medicine... so... really fun stuff. I am proud to know that I have welded hundred of feet of pipes and contraptions that are feeding stuff people are eating. LOL!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eclou
Here is a 993tt muffler for comparison

Thanks for posting that, It's very cool to see the difference. It kind of makes me wonder why there is a difference internally, but I guess the Turbo's have to flow more gas.

When are you going to give up the secret of the RSR, Robin? With the work/tools/skill needed, I doubt you'd lose much business. . . come on !

Quick Reply: My DIY Muffler Mod...