993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold tires on cold road

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007 | 08:54 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Tires of a 'Z' or greater speed rating offer minimal traction at temperatures several degrees above freezing - and that decreases rapidly as temperatures drop further. Even aggressive street driving cannot heat the tread compound to a level that overcomes a characteristic known as the glass transition temperature (Tg): bottom line - driving in cold weather climates on 'Z' tires is like rolling on your own black ice .... even if the roads are bare: traction will always be at a minimum - and it is all too easy to break free.
Old 02-10-2007 | 09:20 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am only 100 miles away from Brooklyn (ie similar condition). I took mine for a ride too this afternoon, and purposely broke traction a couple of times too... just so I don't need to know the adhesion factor in an emergency at 34F, even after 30 min - including burning some rubber - the tires never warmed up.

P-Zero here also.

p.s. I also spun all 4s on an ice-patch in my driveway.
Old 02-10-2007 | 11:07 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTDT and killed my first 993 on a cold November morning in WVa. On the way to my first DE with it, too. I almost pulled the tankslapper back but not before hitting a sturdy black locust tree. Winter tires are your friend, as is more track time :-)

Old 02-10-2007 | 11:16 PM
Svaha
Pro

Coming out of the parking garage in Vegas this morning, I gunned the car while taking a sharp right turn. The rear swung left, and I steered into the drift, while the front wheels pulled me back into alignment. Four wheel drive IS good for something. Cold conditions and cold tires (as well as tires nearing the end of their term) can definitely reduce the traction you've come to expect. It's good to learn these things without having to suffer for it.
Drive wise,
Mark
Old 02-10-2007 | 11:30 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Svaha
Coming out of the parking garage in Vegas this morning, I gunned the car while taking a sharp right turn.
Mark
I did exactly the same thing very early on a chilly July (!) morning in Vegas. My result was understeer as if the front wheels were on ice. Kinda deceptive after driving through Death Valley the previous day at 114ºF
Old 02-11-2007 | 01:20 AM
sptschoice
Pro

It seem that quite a few of us here had this scary experience with cold tires. I will be more cautious now...
Old 02-11-2007 | 03:06 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sptschoice
Mark... you are may be correct with your statement my car actually did get away from me but I fought hard to save it..tire brand is pirelli
Coincidentally... mine is also shod with Pirelli ****!

Last ever.
Old 02-11-2007 | 05:36 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

I love cold tires!! When I pull out of my place in the morning, there is a stop where I have to take a left, there is a tile crosswalk there and it reacts quite well with cold rubber.. take the left and stomp it and you can pitch the car almost sideways!! better then coffee on a cold morning for a rush! the funny thing is that I CANT get it to break loose for the life of me when the tires are warm.. no matter how hard I try, the difference between warm and cold tires is amazing.. that simple exercise has helped me respect cold tires!

Coleman
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:11 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

I took my C4S out yesterday with excellent Rosso tires that I like a lot. It was about 20F. Drove back roads for about 20 minutes to get car and tires a bit warmed. Took on very windy highway and at 55 MPH, car was floating too much. I took next exit and took secondary roads back home. Yea, can play a little creativity with pressures, but I will never take high performance tires out when it well below freezing. My main purpose was to drive the car for 45 minutes in between storage.
Old 02-12-2007 | 02:54 PM
Gbag
Intermediate

Coleman! I love that spot also. Cold tires. Cool-dense brick surface. I know when we pass that spot on our occasional drives you call me names similar to "sissy" when I ease on the gas. I suppose it has some thing to do with the handfuls of oncoming cars and rickshaw tourists.... or maybe it's my lack of desire to be referred to as "S.B. Drifter" at the coffee shop around the corner.

Good fun though- I must agree. Nice place to test the function of the R limiter.

G

Quick Reply: Cold tires on cold road