Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best Street Shock Set up for me. What would you do if you were me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:08 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Overkill? Blashphemer! There is no such thing as overkill! Remember the slope is steep and slippery!!!
You're right. I should be flogged!

<hangin' head in shame>
Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickels
Are the softer ROW M033 springs the same as the stock stiffness and are they a suitable alternative for a "Driver" car? I was curious because they're seldom mentioned. I was wondering if anyone who has these springs can weigh in with their opinion also.
I just ordered the Bilstein HDs from Gert. I also have a set of ROW MO33 springs that I will use with them.
I wanted to lower my car a bit but keep the ride as smooth as possible since the car is a daily driver.
It will probably be several months before i get around to installing the new suspension but I can let you know how the ride is once it's installed.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:38 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickels
Are the softer ROW M033 springs the same as the stock stiffness and are they a suitable alternative for a "Driver" car? I was curious because they're seldom mentioned. I was wondering if anyone who has these springs can weigh in with their opinion also.

I was on M033 and now on M030 springs and M030 shocks.
M030 is a tiny tad firmer,
a difference in cornering, the car sways slightly less, on hard cornering.
AND the big difference in my own opinion is hard emergency braking.
the roll is less and you can stop the car with more assurance.
But this was due to the shot shocks I am 1000% sure
On bumpy roads, the kicking in the back is as much.
Since my new shocks are M030, these are expensive and everybody on RL say
they will be shot at 30000 miles. We have to wait to see how the Bils will do after 30000 miles.
My opinion frankly, go for the HD's and M030 if the roads are good where you are.
I think the price is best, even if you're decision is not money oriented.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd look into sway bars at the same time. I went with bilstein HD/H&R but think the sway bars made the biggest difference in terms of body roll and eliminating understeer.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
95 C4 993,

Where are you going to get the work done? I have been looking for a good shop.

Tom
There is Airpower Racing in Ogden-great guys from what everyone says. Just a little out of the way for me.

www.airpowerracing.com Les is the owner

Motorsport SLC-talk to Dave I know Dave is a Rennlist sponsor and he did my brake upgrade last summer-pads, rotors, flush, ect. There are on 2128 South Richards -roughly a few blocks east of Main St.

www.motorsportincslc.com

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 02-09-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I have read (and searched) about HD's and PSS9's, H&R, B&G, Eibach and everyone's opinion. I will put Bilstein combination of something eventually.

I dont track but may do a DE event some time. If it lowers, so be it. Either way, it doesnt matter to me.

I figured after 58,800 miles, my shocks probably need replacing at some point and since Im having a my 60k tune in a few months, I might as well do the shock set up.

I dont work on anything when it comes to cars. Dont care to, dont want to, have no desire to ever do it.

I am a "spirited" driver if that makes any difference.

Bilstein shocks only, stock springs? Different springs?
Bilstein HD Shocks Only, stock springs? Different springs?
PSS9 Kit? Who makes those springs in the kit? Bilstein?

Why HD or PSS9? Why PSS9 over HD? How easy are PSS9's to adjust? Can a car idiot like me make adjustments on PSS9's without having to remove wheels?
Strongly recommend the PSS9's as the best value as they will last longer and enable the greatest flexibility to use them to their more suited purpose should you desire down the road (best street setup either way). Save $$$ initially by sticking with stock sways, uprights/droplinks, etc...still gives you a better platform by a long shot to still dial your car in to your current needs but maintains the slippery slope (steep) with many more possible mods down the road.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would and DID opt for the PSS9's over the HD route. I had the MO30 RoW springs already. For the extra few hundred $$$$ its worth it even if you don't track the car. In the end you'll have (allegedly a better value per our MOM friend above -who by the way needs to have someone contact me if they are interested in selling and installing an aftermarket muffler system on my friend's 997 - called 2x and PM'd you guys 2x and no response....wasn't that way when Chris was there yo whats up wit dat? Tell Tim Chip is tired of his 997 sounding like a Honda Accord and will pay $$$ to change that....but I digress)
You go PSS9's you have a better system, presumably better resale value of your car if ever, you can sell your M030's to get some of the difference in cost back, you don't have to store unused springs in your garage which will make the wife happy, and assuming you sell to another RL'er you do a good deed by helping someone here get their car down from the high altitude of US ride height!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 PM
AGC
Racer

I'm in the same boat, I was thinking the ROW Springs with the Bil shocks, several people recomended this set-up for me (I don't track at all); and I thought it was a great choice; but then they suggested I get the PSS9 because I have a 993TT. Now I am more confused and still trying to decide what to get, right now I am thiking PSS9 because they are telling me this is a better set-up for a TT even if I do not track.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I too am in a similar situation and I've decided to go with the ROW M030 with Biltstein HDs.
It seems, taking all the discussions about this topic into consideration, that this set-up is what Porsche "should" have put on our cars.
If you (like me) will never set foot on a track, the PSS9s seem like overkill. Sure, they would be nice, and perhaps "justifiable" on a TT or S, but there are other ways to spend that money to provide an actual "improvement" versus making the slippery slope steeper, and the wallet more empty.

Don't forget Viper Bob has a great combo-setup-deal that includes new front drop-links, and f/r sways. If this seems like a shameless plug, it is! Bob has been a wealth of information, and tireless in his patient explanations to an auto-illiterate such as myself.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

If you will be tracking your car AT ALL I highly reccommend you consider changing sway bars when you do the shocks..

I installed the HDs and H&R springs and found that on the track the car pushed TERRIBLY. That was all solved by putting on bigger TRG adjustable sway bars: (F) 25mm (R)22mm with RS Drop links. The bigger (adjustable) sway bars completely transformed the handling of the car to perfectly neutral on the track and I LOVE it.. I do have to live with a few extra squeaks/noise from the sways due to the teflon bushings (stiffer than the stock rubber type). Also the larger sways I opted for make the ride a little harsher than stock sways.. For my mix of street/track, however, I LOVE the TRG sways as the street ride is still quite good.. I kept the stock sways in case I ever sell the car and want to go back to a softer ride. If you do not track your car, do not worry about the sways or the PSS9 option as its overkill IMHO.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

What would Jesus do? Paper, scissors, rock I bet. :-)
Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Bilstein HD and M030 ROW Here too! I love them awesome ride not harsh at all.

Quick Reply: Best Street Shock Set up for me. What would you do if you were me?