Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices on 996's coming down fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For people like me whom really don't know which way to turn I consider a 996 a bargin. As one thats more inclined to be tracking and/or using it as a weekend & summer toy....... I have been asking my self why not !! Having sold a low mile 993tt and considering a GT3 or another air cooled tracker the thought of writing off one of these cars just for fun is a concern.

Outside the RMS the water coolers are more reliable engine wise are they not, and less costly to run than a air cooler ?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What makes a water cooler cheaper or more reliable than an air cooled engine? I thought air cooling was more efficient?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Water cooling, by design, offers increased efficiency improved power with less heat output, better thermal rejection.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Water cooling, by design, offers increased efficiency improved power with less heat output, better thermal rejection.
So the 996's are more efficient, but less sexy. Tough choice.

If you check Consumer Reports, the '97 993 gets mostly red circles, and the 996's get a lot of black circles, especially in the engine and exhaust catatories. Maybe that contributes to the 996's depreciation?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the 996 depreciation rate is more due to the fact of how many of those puppies PORSCHE pumped out coupled with the leasing boom around the turn of the century.

Dont base your search upon Consumer Reports - -while it may be good for buying a blender, read all you can right here on Rennlist -- then set out to drive as many examples as possible. You'll know what you like Then again, many folks have had there 996's turn into blenders

Yes, the 996 will outperform a 993 when comparing equal models, but how often do you drive at 10/10's? Buy the model that -moves- you.. Kinda like in the movie 'Jerry Maguire'
Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a link to a 996 w/ 150k on it, local sf for $22k! It might be a scam, but with that mileage it might be the real deal!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/274644876.html

this'd be a great track car or grocery getter for the money. you can barely get a honda accord for $22k.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimq
I thought it was a 964# like on my 996TT
That's the casting number, which contains very little info. A number of different versions are made from one casting. Also, they changed the casting late in 993 production, for the 996 GT3 and Turbo, but left the 964 number on there, for reasons I cannot fathom.

But yes, your 996TT had the same type of 993-style block that the GT2/GT3 and also 964 models had.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Originally Posted by AndyK
What makes a water cooler cheaper or more reliable than an air cooled engine? I thought air cooling was more efficient?
If you've ever welded something metal, or heated it with a torch, then waited for it to cool down, then compare that to how long it takes if you stick it under the faucet in the sink. Many minutes with air cooling, even with a fan, but only a few seconds with water. Now THAT's efficiency.

I love the air cooled engines, but I don't argue that on the grounds of cooling efficiency. They are efficient in weight, since no radiators, no 5 gals of coolant, etc. If 1 gal of water = 8 pounds, 5 gals = 40 pounds.

What makes it cheaper, they designed the water cooled engine on a clean sheet of paper for reduced cost and much higher production volume. It worked. Reliability is a separate issue though, since so much that was tried & true was tossed out.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

It is said/rumored/whatever that POrsche will be releasing 7 more models in the next 10 years-this includes a sedan, a small x3 competitor and a 928 type GT. For good or bad in the eyes or followers, Porsche had to go watercooled for emissions and flat out market penetration. Dry sump??? What in the hell is that? That is what most say and most, yes read most who have bought new Porsches care less about tracking the car. The consumer of new Porsches are out there competing with m3's, m5's, AMG's etc on looks, butt dyno and features. As well, the maint on water cooled engines SHOULD be lower which SHOULD allow them greater market penetration. Too bad the trannies and diffs failed so often ( :

The era is over for air cooled, niche type brand called Porsche. Porsche will grow more in the next 20 years than any other time in combined history. Exciting and depressing at the same time.

That is why I love my 993 ( :

Point to this, WE are driving the costs down by NOT buying the 996's and making sure enthusiasts are VOCAL about why air cooled, dry sump designs are far superior.

From a DEAL perspective even given the issues with the 996's, a 99/00 is the deal of a century. They STILL drive and feel like a Porsche if you can get over the dislike of the body lines and interior.

I would DD one in a heartbeat and know of a 99 Cab with 33k miles for around the 30k mark. Not too bad I don't think.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:24 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

With all the talk on tracking a 996, I recall a while back conversations about the limitations of the semi-dry oil sump in that car versus a full dry sump. There were issues related to oil starvation in certain conditions (e.g. hard braking or accelerating simultaneously with entering exiting certain turns) Doesn't that problem still exist?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
With all the talk on tracking a 996, I recall a while back conversations about the limitations of the semi-dry oil sump in that car versus a full dry sump. There were issues related to oil starvation in certain conditions (e.g. hard braking or accelerating simultaneously with entering exiting certain turns) Doesn't that problem still exist?
Good question, I forgot about that issue.

I would love to afford a 996 for a DD and DE car but just don't see it in the immediate future.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
......................... Dry sump??? What in the hell is that? That is what most say and most, yes read most who have bought new Porsches care less about tracking the car. ....................................
Which is why Porsche continues to build two different engines, one for the street cars and one for those likely to be seriously driven on tracks/raced.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:53 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can believe why the prices of 996s are going down fast. Today was the first nice day in Seattle for a while and I couldn't beleive how many Porsches were out on the road today.

My daughter counted 15. Of them 12 were 996s and 2 were Boxsters and 1 993 Turbo. I guess its all about supply and there are lots of 996s.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:42 PM
RS 197
Pro

I saw at least 2 996's blow up on the track last year. I just about wadded my cup car at Miller when a 996 Cab blue in front of me. Oil everywhere. The thing was toast.

I don't think they will hold up if you seriously track them??
Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 AM
mborkow
Drifting

I couldn't beleive how many Porsches were out on the road today.My daughter counted 15.
my girlfriend keeps teasing me that porsches are a dime a dozen...

Quick Reply: Prices on 996's coming down fast