Sponsored by:

Autometrics tie down question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometrics tie down question

I just received the set of tie downs from Autometrics and am about to install them but have a question.

I noticed that with my pss9's the suspension travel will cause the control arm to rest on the rear tie downs when the car is on jack stands (or if the suspension is completely unloaded for other reasons!)

The instructions do mention this and clearly state it is not a problem but it looks like it will rest on the plastic guard which is on my control arm. Before I install wonder if anyone with similar setup has seen any damage to that part or other problems?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Mark,

If the mounts are properly installed, it won't be a problem. There are a slew of happy Autometrics tie-down customers, me being one of them.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mine seem ok.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:51 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Just installed them today and when the car is in the air the rear lower toe control arms rest on the tie down. Probably not a problem.

Should I leave the plastic toe arm covers off so they dont get damaged?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark,

I installed mine and have them slightly angled so the control arms don't rest on them when the car is up. I have PSS9s at the lowest allowable setting for them (just above RS Height).

-Skip
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Originally Posted by swftiii
Mark,

I installed mine and have them slightly angled so the control arms don't rest on them when the car is up. I have PSS9s at the lowest allowable setting for them (just above RS Height).

-Skip
Skip, I have similar setup with pss9's. By "angled" do you meant bent? The instructions indicate the brackets should be on an angle and they fit into a notch on the chassis. Below is a picture of proper install from Autometrics (not my car). This car is on the ground (suspension loaded).

I would have taken a pic of my setup but she is still in the shop.

When on the lift my suspension travel is way further down and the control arm rests on the tie down. Without the tie down in place the arm would have traveled about another 3/4 - 1 inch further. I understand this may not be a problem but if the plastic cover is reinstalled on the arm will it be damaged by the weight?

Thanks
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Autometrics tie down question