Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

exhaust upgrade 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:33 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my Targa I tired a second hand pair of Rooks. They were too quite for me, and had some mild resonance at very low revs. I then tried RSRs and had a different experience to most on this board, but not all. I had significant resonance issues just under 3000rpm which I could not live with. I finally settled on the Rufs. Very pricey. Significantly louder than the RSR but not over the top. Their tone was wonderful - a deep rich baritone with absolutely no resonance. I love driving my car just for that sound. They also were switchable so that you can nearly at the flick of a switch go to stock sound. "Nearly, in that this would not happen if the exhaust was under significant pressure. It was best done at idle. They also came with a spoiler module which limited the opening and closing of the rear spoiler more. The only negative, apart from the price which is even higher in the States (I got mine from Germany) is the effect on hearing. Not wanting to sound like an old fart, but after a few hours of spirited driving my hearing was diminished. Hearing is a resource which diminishes with age even in the absence of spells of excessive noise. It is also unfortunately not replenishable. Once you damage your hearing however slightly, it is permanent. I understand that we have a little flap in our ears which closes once the ear experience sound which is at a damaging level in order to try and protect the ear. Unfortunately, the muscle controlling this flap can hold for about 30 minutes and then fatigues and lets go. Babies can only do this for about 3 minutes.

With my latest car, Project Orange, I have been advised to stick with the stock mufflers as there is little to no performance advantage from changing. I have also been warned that some aftermarket Porsche mufflers actually create more back pressure and give less performance. I will wait to hear what the stock system sounds like with the 100 cell sports cats I will be fitting. Hopefully they will give the system a more sporty note than the anaemic stock sound.

There is also the very worthwhile opportunity to shed some weight at the rear extremity, a very worthwhile endeavour with our cars. The RSRs and some others do little in this regard. The Rufs were from memory a pound or 2 heavier. I would love to learn of some light mufflers at a reasonable price which will not send me deaf. Just my 1/2 a cents worth.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

which system makes the most power?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm
which system makes the most power?
expect anywhere from negative a couple hp to +5-6hp at best. Anyone claiming more gains from exhaust alone is more than a bit optimistic.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would play safe and assume no power gains plus possibly some minor loss of power. The only reason anyone changes the exhausts is to get more noise. Now dump or upgrade the cat and that's a different story. You might find a few extra HP and alot more noise!

Cheers,

David

PS if they are still working I have some sound clips on my putfile site.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Mille Miglia is what I have...sounds awesome in combination of my fabspeed air box.
Agreed, and don't misunderstand, I love mine, however, I'd like to add that although these sound awsome, they are loud and they RESONATE quite a bit. If you want to avoid resonance I'd avoid Mille Miglias.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Agreed, and don't misunderstand, I love mine, however, I'd like to add that although these sound awsome, they are loud and they RESONATE quite a bit. If you want to avoid resonance I'd avoid Mille Miglias.
Actually, I do get a little resonate. Of course mine are 7 years old and Im sure technology has only got better, including Mille Miglia.

Its a good, deep sound on mine. By no means quiet. The combination with the Fabspeed air box or drill some holes in the stock and its a great combo, IMHO. Not teenager loud but a deep growl.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Just installed GHLs on my C4S yesterday. The sound is just what I wanted.....louder than stock, but not obnoxious. NO resonance.
And they are a Rennlist sponsor and give discounts to RL members.

Robert
I too have the GHL's and love `em. Good choice Robert
Old 02-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I went the LPMM route. It's basically a bypass mod to your existing mufflers. Do a search. $100 results in a throatier sound than stock with no resonance issues and if you go with the 1.5" pipe they are not obnoxiously loud. Then take ten minutes to drill your airbox and the sound of your car will far exceed what you have now. RSRs and Supercups would be my second and third choice.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Consider also the Dach Systems silencers that Chris, who does the X-pipes, makes. They are beautifully made and sound pretty good, deeper and louder than RSRs.

Cheers,

David
Old 02-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Vivek
Advanced

I have the Tubi installed--they're not bad. The exhaust is relatively loud (which I particularly like). Unfortunately, this comes at the price of a little resonance b/w 2400-2900 rpm. When under load, it has some typical characteristics of the classic Italian Tubi sound (more of a whine) but the note is predominately a low gargle. it sounds very impressive at idle. All in all, a great exhaust system--a bit on the pricey side but somewhat exclusive. It's not quite as much of a 'no-brainer' as the Tubi on Ferrari's however. Feel free to PM or call w/ more specific questions, and I'll do my best to describe!
Vivek
217-836-7633
Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,776 Posts

vivek: I don't think many of us on RL have tubis and I'm sure the board would love to hear what they sound like. Do you have a sound clip?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Topcot
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis (LJ in Van). What is this LPMM route you referenced? Does a company make this mod for $100 or did you find this on some site and have it done? I'm looking for more sound and no or little resonance. This seems like a great solution. More info, please.

Has anyone out there tried the SuperSprint exhaust for the 993?

Pete
Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Wink

Hi Pete,

Do a search on LPMM or look a few inches above your post where there is a picture of this very mod. Basically it is just welding a tube between the inlet and outlet pipes (there is already a small one inside the silencer) and this frees up the exhaust giving more noise. Effectively, the only way to avoid resonance seems to be OEM or modified OEM silencers.

Cheers,

David
Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
vivek: I don't think many of us on RL have tubis and I'm sure the board would love to hear what they sound like. Do you have a sound clip?
Yes...We'd love to hear what they sound like.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Vivek
Advanced

I'll try to get a sound clip posted sometime this week. I also have pre and post dyno...lost 2 hp--I place that in the insignificant range as dynos obviously have some run by run variation (would have been nice to actually see some type of gain though).

Quick Reply: exhaust upgrade 993