Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF or Gemballa, who makes the "better" 993 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Seems to be nearly unanimous...RUF. Does this apply to engine upgrades, or the entire range of products, i.e., wheels, interior components, etc?
Put it this way, their wheels weigh more than stock ones...
They do look nice though.
Can not believe Steve hasn't weighed in on this one yet, lol.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:11 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RUF stuff looks great.... As with anything, sometimes looks does not get you the best mechanical / performing items out there.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I have a Ruf so I am totally unbiased. Here are my 2 cents.

I assume when you say a 'better 993 turbo' you are referring to the whole car: acceleration, top speed, cornering, braking, driveability, safety, durability, reliability, and appearance. If these are the criteria, here are my takes:

Acceleration: toss up, may be Gemballa. Ruf 993 versions do not exceed 560 HP. Gemballa goes above 620 (I think). But Ruf horses are bigger than other horses.

Top speed: Ruf, hands down. Ruf's body kits and gearings are all for top speed dominantion. Their shaved rain-gutter and aero-mirrors are works of art. They love narrow body 993s, as it means 2 more MPH at the top end.

Cornering: Ruf, they use an uprated PSS9 system. I am not sure how Gemballa sets up their suspensions. Just that fact that I have not read much about Gemballa suspensions speaks volume about their lack of prowess in this area.

Braking: toss up, may be Ruf. Gembella just throws on the biggest brakes known to men. Ruf brakes are NOT over the top, or maybe even slightly undersized for some people. But rotor size is not the only attribute in great braking action. Ruf uses braided steel brake lines (great feel and uncanny modulation) and I just love how the braking action works. They stop plenty fast for me.

Driveability: Ruf uses medium weight flywheels, regeared transmissions, superb seats, symphonic exhaust systems, 130 cell cats, special Atiwe steering wheels, TechArt padels, etc. Everything under the sun to enhance your joy of driving.

Safety: Ruf hands down. If the have their consealed roll cage, it is one of the safest car you can ever get.

Durability: That's where Ruf makes their mark with auto-journalists. 16-17 years old CTRs (Yellow Birds) still run strong compared to the new RT-12s. That's impressive. I don't know much about Gemballa's durability, especially under high-stress uses.

Reliability: Ruf tear down most engines on their re-builds. They make some of the best titanium engine parts. They lower the compression ratio to pedestrain levels. They make superb oil coolers. Their inter-cooler is not the biggest one on the market, but it's plenty big enough.

Appearance: That's totally subjective. I believe Ruf's appearance packages follows the motto: form follows function. Gemballa's appearnce packages seem to be: Hey look at me. I love how my Ruf looks.

Just my HO: Gemballa throws together a bunch of very impressive parts (brakes, 20" wheels, giant turbos, huge wings etc.), that on theory, would make an awesome car. Ruf carefully evaluates many parts, and puts togeher less impressive parts, but the end game is much better than the sum of it's parts. To a casual gawker: Gemballa rocks. To a real car guy: Ruf. And this is my totally unbiased opinion.

Here's a few pics of one of the most beautiful 993s (again IMHO) for your enjoyment.

CP
Attached Images    
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

CP--

You are correct; "better" meaning everything. Looking at that second shot, now I know what they mean by Porsche ****! Beautiful. I noticed the CA plates, and I know it's a rocket...so I've gotta ask....how does that thing pass CA smog?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
CP
Race Director

Dan,

Mine is a U.S. spec. car. It has all the stickers for CA registration. The unique story is that while being a U.S. car, all the conversion work was done in Phaffenhausen, Germany.

I have passed all smog tests with flying colors, even with 130 cell cats.

If you want to see more of my Ruf, search threads started by CP. You will find a lot more pics and info.

CP

Last edited by CP; 02-01-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:43 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Ruf! Ruf!
Enough said...

Pong, if you ever come down to OC. let us know....
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by f8vr993
[B]

Pong, if you ever come down to OC. let us know....
Stefan,

Actually I will be in Irvine all day on Thursday, working.

Unfortunately I'm flying SWA, not Ruf Air. I gather when you say: when I'm in OC, you mean with my Ruf. I will give plenty of advance notice next time I venture south with my Ruf.

CP
Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
I have a Ruf so I am totally unbiased. Here are my 2 cents.

I assume when you say a 'better 993 turbo' you are referring to the whole car: acceleration, top speed, cornering, braking, driveability, safety, durability, reliability, and appearance. If these are the criteria, here are my takes:

Acceleration: toss up, may be Gemballa. Ruf 993 versions do not exceed 560 HP. Gemballa goes above 620 (I think). But Ruf horses are bigger than other horses.

Top speed: Ruf, hands down. Ruf's body kits and gearings are all for top speed dominantion. Their shaved rain-gutter and aero-mirrors are works of art. They love narrow body 993s, as it means 2 more MPH at the top end.

Cornering: Ruf, they use an uprated PSS9 system. I am not sure how Gemballa sets up their suspensions. Just that fact that I have not read much about Gemballa suspensions speaks volume about their lack of prowess in this area.

Braking: toss up, may be Ruf. Gembella just throws on the biggest brakes known to men. Ruf brakes are NOT over the top, or maybe even slightly undersized for some people. But rotor size is not the only attribute in great braking action. Ruf uses braided steel brake lines (great feel and uncanny modulation) and I just love how the braking action works. They stop plenty fast for me.

Driveability: Ruf uses medium weight flywheels, regeared transmissions, superb seats, symphonic exhaust systems, 130 cell cats, special Atiwe steering wheels, TechArt padels, etc. Everything under the sun to enhance your joy of driving.

Safety: Ruf hands down. If the have their consealed roll cage, it is one of the safest car you can ever get.

Durability: That's where Ruf makes their mark with auto-journalists. 16-17 years old CTRs (Yellow Birds) still run strong compared to the new RT-12s. That's impressive. I don't know much about Gemballa's durability, especially under high-stress uses.

Reliability: Ruf tear down most engines on their re-builds. They make some of the best titanium engine parts. They lower the compression ratio to pedestrain levels. They make superb oil coolers. Their inter-cooler is not the biggest one on the market, but it's plenty big enough.

Appearance: That's totally subjective. I believe Ruf's appearance packages follows the motto: form follows function. Gemballa's appearnce packages seem to be: Hey look at me. I love how my Ruf looks.

Just my HO: Gemballa throws together a bunch of very impressive parts (brakes, 20" wheels, giant turbos, huge wings etc.), that on theory, would make an awesome car. Ruf carefully evaluates many parts, and puts togeher less impressive parts, but the end game is much better than the sum of it's parts. To a casual gawker: Gemballa rocks. To a real car guy: Ruf. And this is my totally unbiased opinion.

Here's a few pics of one of the most beautiful 993s (again IMHO) for your enjoyment.

CP

CP - A while back someone started a thread about who had the best-looking 993 here....IMHO no contest, you win hands down! That is one beautiful car!

Pete
Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

On the Gemballa plus side:
I like their wing for the NB. IMHO it has better lines than the Aero 1B which I think "swoops" up too much.
The Gemballa Competition wheels are at the top of my rim upgrade list, however they are insanely expensive and virtually impossible to find.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

RUF! RUF! RUF!.........Most Gembella bodies look like a total CF............ZP44
Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 PM
JPF
Intermediate

Just ask yourself this:

Which is the company that Germany had deemed worthy of being an authorized manufacturer with their own VIN codes?

Game over.

:-)
Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Default RUF or Gemballa, who makes the "better" 993 turbo?

RUF

regards
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Gimmee an "R"!
R!

nobody gave you an R.... so there you go.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
RUF stuff looks great.... As with anything, sometimes looks does not get you the best mechanical / performing items out there.
Surprised to hear you say this... i have always thought of RUF (the original in Germany) as engineers first, designers second...isn't RUF known for performance/reliability/etc.? My take has always been that they are just too expensive for most of us...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JPF
Just ask yourself this:

Which is the company that Germany had deemed worthy of being an authorized manufacturer with their own VIN codes?

Game over.

:-)
Well said.

Quick Reply: RUF or Gemballa, who makes the "better" 993 turbo?