Sponsored by:

I killed a turbo today

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:53 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that was a lesson learned!
"Note to self...never post stories pertaining to high perfomance street driving on RL"
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude - racing a PT Cruiser hardly counts as high performance street driving. Gheez...
Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black ice
If anyone needs a Porsche connection to the PT Cruiser Turbo: A guy I went to college with, mechanical engineer, used to drive an ~86 carrera and sold me my first Porsche (82 931 - stop laughing). A serious Porsche nut and a great driver. He worked on PT Cruiser Turbo development.
How long did that take him? An afternoon?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

i thought that someone was going to post some pictures of girls at spring break
Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Dude - racing a PT Cruiser hardly counts as high performance street driving. Gheez...
That was the point of my thread before it turned into a street racing thread. The point I was making was that many todays cheap cars can actually do pretty well 0-60 compare to the 993.

Funny how I posted about my experiences with a Pontiac GTO - same sort of situation a few months ago. Rather than get publically scorned, the thread turned into how the GTO 6.0 is a great value.

I know that this has been discussed plenty of times, but the manufacturers mostly are packing big HP into cheap platforms and the 0-60 times are dropping into and surpassing HP numbers from 10 years ago.

I know there is more to life than 0-60 on the street and thats why I drive the 993. Its the whole package - brakes, suspension and acceleration. It is also why I partcipate with the PCA and POC for track days, Ax etc.

But if I was a track hound, I probably would do what others have done (like a neon track car that was posted) by picking a cheaper platform that can be beat-up and cheap to fix. I appreciate the german engineering of the car and appreciate how its home on the street or the track, so I will be sticking with the 993 for as long as I can.

What would qualify as high performance street driving? I would not want to drag an WRX STI, 996, 997 or a chipped turbo diesel pickup. Especially, since a freaking PT turbo is only a second slower 0-60 and can be seen in the rearview in the imprompt dash I did yesterday.

Im coming to the realization that the 993 is getting slow by todays standards. I could have chosen a 996 for better performance, but again its my nostalgic side that brings me back to air-cooled.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

TJ90 -
Okay, fine, I'll put on my serious, no-fun hat now, just for clarity, and then the hat is back on (it must be a slow day). It's a matter of the logical disconnect. A new car being able to beat a 12 year old car in the industry's easiest attainable performance measure, does not make that new car a "high performance" car.

It's just as plain and simple as this: Lots of cars can do really well, even beat, the 993 in 0-60. In my book, doing a 0-60 speed challenge is no measurable indicator of performance, because it takes no sophistication to develop a car that can accelerate in a straight line. Thus, doing a 0-60 speed challenge and making a comparison to Porsche performance is laughable. A Ford Lightning truck can beat a 993 in a straight line. That does not mean a Ford truck is high performance.

So, with the hat back on, I will continue to be embarrased for you having raced a PT Cruiser, just because I think it's soooo funny! But just to show you my fun side, how about this little story...I raced (ADMITTEDLY, yes I did) a Honda Civic the week I got my car. He had a Turbo in it, and I barely beat him, in a straight line. It was a piece of junk Civic with few matching body panels, 2 people in it, and a dog with a plastic cone on its head in the passenger seat. Now THAT was funny!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

tj90--

I think you are both right and wrong. A stock 993 should do 0-60 in a few ticks over 5 secs and top out well over 160. That's still quick, even by today's standards. Over the last decade there are several cars that can match (and in some cases exceed) the 993's performance numbers. Infiniti G35's and Lexus IS's produce over 300hp. But, to be candid, I don't care. WRX's and Lancers, and others may be able to keep up, but none of them can provide the driving experience and pride of ownership associated with this marque. For me, it's about more than straight line performance. It's the entire package; the intangibles. The quiet confidence of knowing that you are literally driving a legend. Within the first 5 minutes of ownership, I had parked my car at a gas station to grab some water. Upon returning I found an older gentlemen staring lovingly at the car. When I approached, he said "This your car?"
"It is."
"Beautiful, absolutely beautiful."

The feeling you get from that, my friend, is priceless. Can you imagine someone saying that about a WRX???

Drive the 993 to any car event where people know and respect cars, and park a 993 (or any nice 911) next to those winged-out, turbo'd, nitro'd, juvenile contraptions and I bet, all eyes and questions go to the Porsche. At the risk of being crude, it's like putting a pearl next to rat droppings. And at the risk of being presumptive, I think owners of those other cars would trade their's for your's without hesitation.

I don't condone juvenile antics behind the wheel, and I don't think your run-in with the PT was such. Alot of people are looking to challenge the 911's supremacy, because, let's be honest...it's probably envy. They want to comfort themselves by saying to their peers, 'Hey I beat some guy in a 60K Porsche with my 20K (insert whatever here).' And this is where their small minds are revealed, because I find that type of thinking pathetic and trifling. You did what you needed to do.

Passing someone to avoid being sandblasted, only to be challenged in the process is hardly "racing". I've only had my 993 two months and on the long drive back from Denver, somewhere between Alberquerque and Flagstaff, I had some punk in a Camaro Z28, pulling in front of me and slowing down. I'd move out, pass, and settle back to cruising again, only to have him come rocketing by, jump in front and slow down. 5X of this and I'd had enough. I dropped a gear and let him watch that 993's beautiful rump pull away. In horse racing, I think this is called "showing ***." I may take some flack from other RL's for this, but again, this was hardly "racing", it was more just driving away from an idiot. And, I was out it the middle of nowhere.

We own, argubly, the most revered sports car of all time. An icon. There's nothing else like these cars, they don't make them anymore, and I don't care who makes what in the future. This is a love affair that endures.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 PM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's like putting a pearl next to rat droppings.
Now thats what I'm talkin about! 993 next to (??) Everyone else on the road has a rat poop car.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll race
Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Great comments from you all. I dont disagree. Many guys are looking to take a Porsche due to its high regard and exclusivity. But Ill be more careful to let my ego get away from me, if a ricer is challenging. Some of those cars are quick! As Leno says piloting his CGT, teenagers dont understand that my clutch costs more than your car!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrienne
TJ90 -
...because it takes no sophistication to develop a car that can accelerate in a straight line.
Bullseye!

Those 70hp lawnmower motors in those little go karts will get you to 60 in 5 or 6 secs. In any event, I think the better part of valor is to dismiss these ricer challenges, outright. It's just disrespectful to the Porsche.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Hank
Advanced

Gotta love street racing at 30 mph
Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 PM
scat
Racer

Tonight ,returning from work around 5:15,driving on the 15 Fwy in Cajon Pass(So. Cal.) I noticed that all of the sudden traffic slowed down. After about 1/4 mile I found out why .On the shoulder"boxed in" by three CHP cruisers were three cars (the usual suspects you may say);A white with red stripes plus lots of decals Subaru sti,a red HondaS2000 with carbon fiber hood and rear deck( coffee can muffler too) and lastly a golden metallic Nissan Z350 which appeared to be stock except for the big azz chrome wheels.Nobody knows to throw a freeway race better than the ricers.
I wonder who won?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
How about I post some pictures of me spring breaking in Cancun with some college gals to break the tension? It has to be more exciting than beating a PT Cruiser. :-)
YES! BUT JUST THE GIRLS!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:34 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

where the hell are the pictures of girls at spring break?.....

by the way, i like Dan's post the best on this entire thread

Quick Reply: I killed a turbo today