Need help with T/S problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with T/S problem

Hey Y'all,

I have a problem with my right rear turn signal on my '97. Emergency flasher and left side turn signals work fine but I get the rapid blink on the right side and I know this usually indicates something like a burned out bulb. The rear side marker light flashes and the front turn signal flashes (rapidly) but the rear turn signal does not flash. I first thought the bulb was burned out but it lights and stays on as it should when the key is off and the right-side signal is on so I think the bulb is OK. I checked the fuse and it looks OK and I don't see any relay for the turn signals. I don't know where the flasher is but I doubt if it is bad given the left and emergency is OK, but I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know for sure.

When I've experienced similar things on other vehicles, like the side marker light flashing instead of the turn signal, mpre often than not it has been a bad ground. Unlike some other things I have experience with, the turn signal does not appear to be grounded through the housing but has a separate ground wire. Anybody know where the ground is?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Pete
(oh yeah, I did a search but couldn't find any help for my problem)
Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds like an obvious question, but have you swapped the bulbs round from the working indicator unit to the other one just to eliminate the bulb?
The flasher unit for the individual turn signals is separate to the hazard light flasher (I think). The flasher units are in the front luggage area near the firewall on the drivers side. If you peek behind the hood strut, you should see a relay with a yellow sticker on it. I think this is the one you want, but if the left side is working I doubt it will be this.
Also try swapping the bulb holder from the left hand rear light unit to confirm this is not the culprit.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sidned
It sounds like an obvious question, but have you swapped the bulbs round from the working indicator unit to the other one just to eliminate the bulb?
The flasher unit for the individual turn signals is separate to the hazard light flasher (I think). The flasher units are in the front luggage area near the firewall on the drivers side. If you peek behind the hood strut, you should see a relay with a yellow sticker on it. I think this is the one you want, but if the left side is working I doubt it will be this.
Also try swapping the bulb holder from the left hand rear light unit to confirm this is not the culprit.
Thanks Darren, but the bulb lights with the key off and the right turn signal on so the bulb is OK. I'll look for the flasher but I doubt that is the problem since th eleft side works fine. I really think it's the right turn signal ground.

Pete

Quick Reply: Need help with T/S problem