Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup or Rennsport Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One note I forgot to mention: My only complaint about the Mod 07 is the dish. With the hub adapter the wheel is about 2" or so closer. This is good for hand clearance from the dash, but for those of us short in stature, even I'm a little too close to the wheel. If I had to do it over, I'd get less dish.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:59 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the Mod.07 has 3" dish without a spacer. The Momo Prototipo looks similar to the leather 07, but has much less dish. here's the Prototipo in my brother's Carrera (with a 1/2" hub spacer added):
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:18 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its for the street, why don't you keep an airbag wheel in the car. Seems like cheap insurace for your face...just in case some idiot pulls out in front of you or some other misahp...that and aircon are the only non-lightweight things I kept for a serious lightweight street car.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st: Airbag...Airbag...Airbag (and it is against the law to remove an airbag steering wheel and replace it with a non-airbag wheel for street use)

2nd: When have you ever been to an AX/DE/TT/Race and really worried about the steering wheel? The Buick wheel, as some refer to it, is adequate and does the job. The 996 wheel adds a sense of aesthetic style to the 993. But the non-airbag wheels are a risks.

3rd: Non-air bag wheels – hope you guys always strap all 5/6 point belts before going out on the road.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, the lighter, small diameter, non-airbag wheel adds considerably to steering feel - there's just less mass and inertia to move around. And in my unique case, the only street my car sees is too and from the track and yes, I wear 6pts on the street since I don't have stock belts anymore.

But your points are well taken and for a street car, airbag is well worth it.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the sculptured design of the Rs wheel.. the bumps at "10 of 2" make it very comfortable to use and of course it will look better for longer being leather.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

20 years ago the thought of an airbag in a 911 would have repulsed a REAL Porsche enthusiast. Then again, back in the 60's and 70's Porsche didn't attract buyers the save-us-from-ourselves safety crowd. Some of us want our SPORTS CARS to be exciting, fun, and yes, maybe just a little bit dangerous. Otherwise why not drive a Volvo? Sheesh!!!!
The following users liked this post:
doomducati (04-24-2020)
Old 01-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Harold_C
Track Day

With the RS wheel, would it be possible to run a spacer?

The advantage of the Cup wheel would be that you could run a spacer, or a quick release if you wanted to.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ray
1st: Airbag...Airbag...Airbag (and it is against the law to remove an airbag steering wheel and replace it with a non-airbag wheel for street use)

2nd: When have you ever been to an AX/DE/TT/Race and really worried about the steering wheel? The Buick wheel, as some refer to it, is adequate and does the job. The 996 wheel adds a sense of aesthetic style to the 993. But the non-airbag wheels are a risks.

3rd: Non-air bag wheels – hope you guys always strap all 5/6 point belts before going out on the road.
Not every airbag is the be all and end all, either on the road or on the track. I am not an airbag or a safety expert, but I do believe that the following is correct. Experts, please chime in or set the record straight:

Airbags were originally mandated in the mid-'80's because people just weren't wearing their seatbelts, these airbags being used as a way to reduce injuries for people who wouldn't buckle up. Remember the "mouse" seatbelt that zipped its way along the B-pillar of a car but still required you to fasten the lap belt? The first airbags were conceived along the same premise of this "passive" system.

Initial standards for airbags were performed for an unbelted adult male, one of the reasons why airbags were so powerful and caused subsequent injury to smaller drivers who had to sit closer to the wheel. Even more confounding is that these airbags had to be used in conjunction with a manually-fastened lap belt for the bags to provide full effectiveness. It took a while for the US government to realize that the regulations had to be changed to make airbags an SRS (supplemental restraint system), and not a passive restraint system or alternate restraint system. As a result, the second generation, lower-powered airbags were brought to market in 1998, approximately ten years after the first gens came along.

It's my understanding that in cars less than seven years old, airbags and seatbelts are designed to be used as a complete system, disconnecting an airbag leaving one potentially vulnerable to greater injury. On cars built before 1998, airbags, designed as an alternative to seatbelts, are too powerful and can cause injuries and even fatalities due to the greater explosive forces over today's bags.

There are a couple of reasons to not want an airbag at the track. First, the bag can cause unnecessary injuries through poor design and/or aging materials. I was at a DE two years ago where a 944 had a relatively minor shunt and went head-on into a wall at Turn 1 at Summit. The airbag went off and the hot metal airbag module popped out and landed onto the driver's lap. Because he was belted in and a bit shaken, it took him a a second or two to get out, the module subsequently burning him on his legs, allegedly giving him second degree burns.

Second, there is some controversy over whether an airbag can cause a basilar skull fracture with a closed-faced helmet by having the airbag whack the bottom of the helmet and throwing the head back. In November 2004, the SCCA issued a warning about airbags and full-face helmets, some saying that the danger is overblown.
It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use
of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag
restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys
the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to a
driver’s position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver’s chin. In a
crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full-face
helmet can be so powerful “that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be
ruled out“ (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 18.5.1999). This applies
to vehicle that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car
Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in
vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language
is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005
issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at
(800) 770-2055."
Third, personally, I would like to avoid having my thumbs broken off or to avoid a sodium azide explosion from going off in my face while I am on the track. I have a helmet, full race suit, seatback brace, six point harness and HANS device. If those items don't save me from injury, I'm not convinced an airbag will lessen damage to my body. This is not even mentioning the inherent and tactile control benefits of a grippier, smaller diameter race wheel.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-29-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Harold, I don't think you can use a spacer with the 993 RS wheel since the "hub adapter" is built in to the wheel. The spacers go between the hub and the steering wheel, as the hub has to go all the way down the splines for the horn contact to work.

I liked the looks of the RS wheel and almost ordered one from Gert, but the 07 is racier looking and was less expensive. However, the RS wheel would probably be a bit more crash-friendly because of the padded center if that is important to you.

What I really like about the Momo is how the smaller diameter reduces the "power steering effect". It vastly improved the steering feel and makes the car more fun to drive. It almost feels like a real Porsche now!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I would have to agree that an airbag wheel is the best choice for a street car. I don't think suede is a great choice for a street car anyway, since they will wear. That said, lightweight steering wheels do add to steering feel, like Don said. I have a momo Race in my mostly-track car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Harold_C
Track Day

Jack - That's what I figured. I really like the lines of the RS wheel, but The OtherEric's Momo Race wheel looks great as well. Hmmmm...... Decisions, decisions.....

Sort of related ?: Where can you get the Porsche crest Momo Horn button? I looked on ebay, and did a google search and found one that looked similar, but was $100. Is there a real Momo button, or are they just sticking the crest on a regular button? TIA!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Momo used to make a Porsche crest horn button several years ago, but I think the ones that are out there now are made by someone else and probably are not licensed by Porsche. The one on my wheel came with it as part of the eBay deal, and it looks as good as the "real" Momo one I had years ago. The Porsche crest Momo horn buttons are usually on eBay for around $50. However, I just checked and I didn't see one.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The porsche crest momo buttons have been typically on ebay for $50 or so (like Jack said) but recently somebody started selling them for like $10. That's what mine is, but it didn't fit properly-- it was too big in diameter for my particular momo wheel. Required some "custom fitting" (i.e. dremel).
Old 01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Harold_C
Track Day

I just received an e-mail from Gert indicating that you can use a Momo style spacer with the RS wheel!

This changes everything .....

I found a crest button on e-bay, but the auction had already ended. None right now, as Jack stated. I found one via Google, but they're asking $100, which seems a little steep for a horn button.

Quick Reply: Cup or Rennsport Steering Wheel?