Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT:Possible New Job - I Trust The 993 Board!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
boxsata
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT:Possible New Job - I Trust The 993 Board!

Hey All,

I had nowhere to really post this but here, I read this forum everyday in preperation for owning a 993 in the no-to-distant future! This is what leads me to this question.......

I have been employed with the same company for the past 5 years and have been actively seeking a new job in something I can get more satisfaction in - I took my current job right out of college basically to gain experience and get my feet wet - 5 years later, here I am.

I recently found the perfect job with a very cool company and excellent future boss (the owner). It is an upstart company so I have been told by the owner that I am perfect and I will love working for him and to be a bit patient - he will be bringing me in but not for a short time(this was after my 2nd interview). He told me "not to do anything stupid like taking another job".

My question is this, what should be my next move. I have already forwarded him and his CEO anouther copy of my resume and thanked them for the 2nd interview. What should I do next as to keep my name and face in front of him?

I am asking here because I know there are a ot of successful professionals who have been in my shoes before and have some very good advice (judging from every other post in the 993 forum! )
Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<not meant to **** on your enthusiasm>

Perfect job?

I don't want to be too cynical, but I agree with James that you need to keep looking. You're being manipulated by the "excellent" boss.

That's not to say you need to burn your bridge (it might pan out), but keep looking for a paying job.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993James993
I would recommend that you continue your job search and investigate other opportunities. Cash flow seems to be an issue for this new company and the owner seems to be comfortable with manipulation tactics. Do you really want to accept a position in an environment like that?
+1
and i think that line ("not to do anything stupid like taking another job") is insane and completely inappropriate.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your thank you note was the most critical step. Next thing I would do is follow up with a phone call in about 10 days. Don't leave a voice mail, as that puts the onus on him to do the work (it's your job, remember?) Shoot for afternoons, later in the week or even right after 5. Owners and execs are usually at their desks and more available then.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM
dcdude
Drifting

As temptingly entrepreneurial as a smaller place might seem, my preference is to not work for the owner of a company, as that limits your advancement opportunities. In my experience, I found myself wrestling over every dollar that came through the door, and unless your name's ON that door, you'll only go so far. You wanna mess with his head, start talking "equity position." That's where the real money is.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Randy 1
Racer

A wise man once told me that you need to dig the well BEFORE you need the water. In this case, you still haven't hit the water table. Keep digging...
Old 01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know you're young and trusting, but you really should insist on seeing the business plan and specifically the sources and reliability of funding since it's a startup. It's easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm (and that's a good thing) but many startups--and especially most owner/angel/friends-financed startups--are f'ed from day one.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Shop around. Your stock will rise when they realize someone else finds you to be valuable and wants your services. Unitl then, they think you have nowhere to go. 'Tis human nature. You'll have two choices instead of one.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+1 on all of the above. And be certain not to let him think that you have stopped looking or diminished your efforts.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull
+1 on all of the above. And be certain not to let her think that you have stopped looking or diminished your efforts.
In this capacity, the job search and dating are very similar pursuits indeed...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

You've got good advice as you expected. 5 years out of school. You are young enough to take risk if security is not an issue like needing to support a young family. Working for a fortune 500 company takes time to get ahead and a lot of politics to deal with. Bonuses and stock options are getting harder to get as is the competiton. You have to deal with MBA's from top 10 schools. Working for a small company owner could be good or bad depending if there is any equity involved. One thing for sure, get an offer in writing and have your lawyer take a look at it. Worth the $300. Do not take anyone's good words of intentions that you will make money in the future. Been there,done that, does not work, Cash flow is the toughest issue for small cap companies and salary raises may be few and far between. You could come to work one day and the doors are closed without notice to its employees.

On the other hand, you could get filthy rich with a yound company if they give you some equity ala google and McDonalds that's why a contract is so important. You should do some homework and research the company, its competitors, products and markets. If you are really interested in the company, send them a proposed work plan that you would implement in the first 6 months you are there. That will impress the ownerthat you are creative and aggressive. Meanwhile, keep searching as others suggest. I was offered a president's position, it was retracted when the company was sold, then offered again one year later when the company was ready to fold. That was a sweet deal. Good luck and keep your eyes open. Remember to stay in a position to control your own destiny.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 341 Posts

+1 on seeing the business plan and funding sources. If they can't show you that, keep on truckin'. Also, beware vague promises about a compensation package. There should be a concise written contract with hard numbers. If they start giving you BS like, "When we get rolling, your salary will go up" make them define in clear terms what "get rolling" menas. I've seen too many folks sink years of time and effort into start-up and end up with nothing but the company's eternal gratitude.

Take care.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
As temptingly entrepreneurial as a smaller place might seem, my preference is to not work for the owner of a company, as that limits your advancement opportunities. In my experience, I found myself wrestling over every dollar that came through the door, and unless your name's ON that door, you'll only go so far. You wanna mess with his head, start talking "equity position." That's where the real money is.
As I have gone from major corporations to a small company, I can say that I agree with this 100%.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 PM
boxsata
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the advice. I have done my homework though and this is a company that is going to make its mark. This company is the real deal. I just feel like this guy IS genuine but I can't come off like I need the job and opportunity. I do agree with James and keeping my options open. I have always done that, damn, I just want THIS job though. :-) I currently work for a smaller company and have zero interest in joining the corporate world.

Thanks again for the advise guys and keep them coming!

Cheers!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:23 PM
greenjt
Racer

a lot of good advice posted above. in what space is this start-up trying to play and what is it about them will make them successful? If you need somebody local to bounce something off of look me up. I regularly work with start-ups and young companies (funding them) and am pretty darn good at seperating the smoke from the mirrors.

Quick Reply: OT:Possible New Job - I Trust The 993 Board!