993 Forum 1995-1998

Bad idle hunt

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad idle hunt

Well, I've obviously pissed off the Porsche gods. I haven't touched my car in many weeks because of the salt demons on the roads here. But we finally had enough of a gap in the weather that the salt was washed away and one afternoon when the sun peeked out I decided to go for a short drive.

Then, all hell broke loose.

First the car started but had a violent idle hunt for almost a minute before it evened out. More on that in a bit but I want to bitch a bit more.

So, then I head to base to fill up. When I roll through the gate I break my drivers side window switch. Yippee... replace it with the passenger side temporarily. ...broke that one ten minutes later. GREAT!

And the whole way to the gas station I got to listen to the melody of sounds emanating from my brake rotors. SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH! The whole way there and back.

I'm beginning to get aggravated here.

But, back to the important issue. I did a search on "idle hunt" and didn't really come up with a lot other than "clean the ISV." I'm going to try that tomorrow but I wanted to throw this out there to see if I get any other input on this.

I mean this is a real dramatic up and down swing of the idle. "Whum...(pause) Whum... (pause) Whum... (pause) Whum", etc. It is almost to the point where it would stall the engine. Like I said I had to give it a minute or so to even itself out before I could drive. Once it warmed up a bit everything seemed fine...

.... other than those bloody god-aweful brakes of course.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you´ve done it. The P gods will be miffed at all of us.

Couldn´t you leave it alone? (In fact, I am envious... mine is in pieces on the garage floor and not soon to see a decent bit of road... work... the curse of the middle class)
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
I mean this is a real dramatic up and down swing of the idle. "Whum...(pause) Whum... (pause) Whum... (pause) Whum", etc. It is almost to the point where it would stall the engine. Like I said I had to give it a minute or so to even itself out before I could drive.
Was the ambient air temperature below freezing?

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
Once it warmed up a bit everything seemed fine...
If cleaning the ISV with carb cleaner doesn't solve your problem then check your CHT sensor.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always hope to see that either Steve Weiner or Jason Andreas has replied to my tech questions.

Yes Jason, it was probably right at or just below freezing... why?

I'll pull out my manuals and read up on CHT (cylinder head temperature?) sensor. ...that sounds expensive.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll pipe in with what may be totally useless info to you but the Cyl. Head Temp sensor on an '88 3.2L is on the left bank of cyls (duh!), on the front of the engine. Modestly easy to access inboard the left rear wheel. Not hard to replace other than finding a socket or wrench that will fit over the wiring and running the wire back up into the engine compartment into the (3?) plug bank on the left side of the engine.

Quick Reply: Bad idle hunt