Sponsored by:

OT - 16 year old Son first day with car - accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My oldest son got his license on a Friday, and rearended someone on the following Monday (on the main drag in town). Said it wasn't his fault - they just put the new signal in, and besides he was talking to his friend Steve in the back seat!

My second son got hit by a boulder that jumped out at him in the drive-thru at Jack-in-the-Box. Just goes to show your son probably wasn't at fault - fast food drive throughs are just plain dangerous!

I could go with my stepdaughters....

That teen driving school at Road Atlanta sounds like a great idea - I think a bunch of teen accidents happen because of lack of experience in dealing with special situations (and of course also from driving foolishly). With my next batch of kids (5 + 1) I will probably send them through something like that when the time comes.

Glad your son is OK - that is all that matters at the end of the day.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 AM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear all are healthy, well maybe unless they actually ate at the drive thru.

We're approachig the magical period with our son in March - not looking forward to it with any relish either. Driving him around can be a pain, but I'm sure we'll look back on those drives at some future time with fond memories.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Bob,

Sorry to hear about the accident. He will be extra careful from now on.

I remember the first day I taught Christopher to drive, in our MB ML320 no less. He made a tight right turn, and drive the passenger side into a light pole. New right door, mirror, the works.

The end result is that he is a very careful and patient driver. Still not a great judge of car placement, but nothing crazy. I'm good with that.

Hope all the wounds: mental, ego, metal, etc. etc. heal quick.

CP
Old 01-24-2007, 03:11 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad he wasn't hurt and hopefully he learned something from the experience. When I was 16, my dad was foolish enough to let me drive his 1960 356B Cab. Let's just say that narrow mountain roads and youthful judgement didn't mix well. I gotta say my dad handled it pretty well considering I crashed his pride and joy. I just hope I have that much trust and understanding when my kids are old enough to make these kind of mistakes.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Bob ... but real glad he is alright. I guess this is more reason why insurance rate for teens is so damn high.

I had a BMW in high school ... I got hit twice before I was done ... neither my fault ... just seems accidents find you when you're that young.

Scott
Old 01-24-2007, 03:21 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bob shouldn't you take him out for a couple autox lessons.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:31 AM
fentonproductions
Instructor

My daughter was given my Jeep Wrangler to drive very shortly after she got her liscense, she pulled it in front of a new F-150 going @ 35 and the Jeep cattle guard pretty much totaled out the trucks front end... No one injured, and the cop said he could'nt believe there was only slight damage to the Jeep!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to hear your son's ok... but your post brought a smile to my face - we've all been there and done that! I'm still young enough to remember getting my license - June 27th 1996, and the accidents that came soon after. I think my first was about 4 days after getting my license.

I had two cars back in the days - one in Israel (1995 Volvo 850 - the parents said that in Israel I was ONLY allowed to drive a Volvo), one in London (1982 BMW 323i) - both were totally destroyed at the end of the first year. And I MEAN destroyed. Thankfully, none of the accidents were major (mostly schoolboy errors and placement mistakes), but the sheer number of 'minor altercations' took their toll. Any pole, wall, or bollard was fair gaime. I fixed the BMW regularly (with my own money), as I was very proud of it, but the Volvo took the most severe beating and was never fixed. Wish I had a photo of it the day I sold it... cos DAMN... you'd never tell it had once been red.

Take your kid out for a drink (or a soda), tell him that **** happens, and recount your own tales (I'm sure you've got loads)... I know that at that age your confidence can take a hit, and the only thing worse than an inexperienced driver, is a terrified inexperienced driver...

Ahhhh... the good old days!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez Bob!
I'm "plus 1" with all the other guyz n galz replying to this thread ...he's safe ...and will be a lot more cautious now...

Life lesson learned, no blood spilt, move on.

Gerry
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Thanks all. Unfortunately with his nature, he won't get anything out of this. For most kids, it would be an eye opener and a good lesson with no "thank god' injuries. His mom wants to keep it away from the insurance company, so I will most likely have to pay the damages. He pulled out in front of an on coming car which hit the rear tire and the side door. Clearly my son's fault.

The other driver was also a kid 'with no insurance' so his dad is happy to just fix his car himself and then not have his son arrested.

Well this is just the beginning. Hopefully the next one will be as equally unevenful from an injury perspective.

Good ideas about the driving school. They have these on Fridays down at Sebring. I think taking him there may be a very good idea. Thanks....
Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An hour....that's got to be some kind of record! Glad everyone is unhurt.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

I got rear ended in the first hour of having my license. I was driving my Dad's car to the mall. I remember telling the woman that hit me that she was going to have to face my father, not me!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 PM
togueep3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by viperbob
thanks guys... At least since no injuries and it wasn't a Porsche. The Durango is my beast anyway. Wife just doesn't want to give it to him since it has a fold down rear seat and cargo area. I told her that he won't do anything that he is already not doing at home.. Hopefully that won't include the drinking.... He doesn't like it as he likes to be seen driving a BMW around town with the friends. But mom is in charge, so we will see...
OK just to say, I'm 23 no porshe YET. I WILL buy one when I turn 30(993 NB) so since I still remember, He(your son) would get way more *** driving a 7-series than he would a Durango.... I'm glad there were no injuries and I now know what my parents went through..
Old 01-25-2007, 03:32 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bob - as odd as it sounds i think a couple things are in order.

1. teach him how to wet sand. you should lay on the bondo and let him sand to perfection.
2. take him for a ride with you on the track and put the fear of _____ in him.
3. then take him to autox school - let him see if he can control the car. start by breaking him down hard. then you can piece him together slowly with good driving skills.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 AM
hamsterbunny
AutoX

One of the guys in the units I used to live in had a really nice '77 SC, his 16 year old son would take the car without him knowing it.
One day the son put it over a curb and damaged the suspension and one of the BBS rims.
I'm hiding my keys when my son get's anywhere near old enough to drive. He's already commented that I should give him the Porsche when he's old enough.

Quick Reply: OT - 16 year old Son first day with car - accident