Question for RHD 993 owners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geolab
On a scale of 10, 10 being the hardest, the level is zero, nill, phi
all you need is a philips (cross) screw driver, and 3 mimutes in daylight.
Check the p-car.com for how to's, because there is pictures.
the seat motor is down under front of the seat.
you unscrew the black plastic cover, and the motor is there.
two flexible cables hook to it like moustaches.
You can disconnect any one side (in fact, the tilt effect is the same once you halt one cable)
You sit and adjust the angle desired, with the forward backward switch on the side
Rehook the flexible cable you disconnected.
screw on back the plastic cover, ......shana tova
Damn... it really does look easy... although as the sun is setting, I guess it's out of the running for today... For anyone interested, here's the link:

http://p-car.com/diy/seatshaft/

Just one question - how many degrees can you get on the angle? I took a picture today whilst stopped at a stop-light (post it later when I get home) and was surprised to see how offset I was sitting in the seat...

And thanks for the "shana tova"... although, to quote Seinfeld, "is it too late to be Happy New Yearing someone at the end of January?"... I believe Elaine's reply was "I once got Happy New Yeared in May."... only four months to go..

Last edited by urban_alchemist; 01-23-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck and let us know if it helps. I haven't had this problem though I do occasionally get a bad back (usually from being too enthusiastic with the sit-ups or lifting things too heavy for me). I think as I am small/medium I probably swivel a little in the seat in anyway.

Cheers,

David
Old 01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

These are the culprits... b'stard... seen less of an offset in a 1970s Alfa... and they're LEGENDARY for their devolution inducing seating positions...

There's also the promised pic of me sitting at a stop-light with the offset... sorry... didn't mean for a gratuitous crotch-shot... but hey... **** away
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure you have tried this ,but how far back do you have your seat ?,from the pics it looks a good way back,I only say this because in my Job (work for Honda) I drive many cars in a single day and found on occasion I get back ache, because I jump in and always slide the seat all the way back ,then20/30 mins into journey I can feel the pain comming on,so I will put the seats 2 klicks forward and assume a more track like position and pain goes away The most common car it happens with is the S2000 which has a low flat driving position like my 993
Old 01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your pics are in line with my observations. I sure hope you can cure your problem soon..

Good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist

Just one question - how many degrees can you get on the angle?
Every degree counts believe me.
My personal guess from the seat position in the picture, you should be 5'6 ish.
If so, your seat should be tilted more than if the seat was way back.
But the impotant point here is that when the front bottom seat tilts 1 centimeter
to the left the backrest will move several centimeters to the right,
and thats what you need to achieve.
As monique noted earlier, this all depends on the tub dimensions. (the eggshell from
the pedals to the backseat footrest)
One point to note, if you tilt the seat a lot, the left front side of the seat will press on
the central consol, and you wouldn't be able to move it forward or backward easily.
do not forget to adjust the angle while seated. Do not over-do it. Go in little steps, and try, it works. shalom alekem
Old 01-24-2007, 05:25 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by geolab
Every degree counts believe me.
My personal guess from the seat position in the picture, you should be 5'6 ish.
You, sir, are scarily perceptive - and only off by a single inch. 5'7" in m'stockinged feet...

I'll let you know how it goes - should get around to it tomorrow... today the car's booked in with the mechanic to suck some more of my money into that black pit...

Merci, bon nuit, et bon chance...
Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Low Profile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been driving RHD Porsches since '87 and have never had this problem? In SA most cars are RHD and maybe that's why we don't "know" any better? Either way there may be a different set up for predominantly RHD countries. Check it out with you local Porsche Centre?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:14 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Could a left-hand-drive owner post a pic of their pedal-box? I'd be interested to see what the difference is, as its obvious that the tub is very asymmetrical.

Cheers in advance,
J

PS: Still driving. Still hurting. Not happy...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the LHD cars have the same offset, and has anyone made the adjustment towards the middle of the car with any success, and did it help the hip and back pain?

I have a herniated disc in my lower back, and get major pain after 1 hour of driving. I am thinkking of reffiting a bigger foam for the lumbar support in the hard back sport seats. Anyone try this?

sam
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

UPDATE:

Don't I feel like a numpty. On removing the new, black mats installed before I bought the car, I noticed that the original red mats hadn't been removed. Therefore, there as about an extra three-quarters of an inch cramping the footwell and pedal-box.

On removing it, lo-and-behold, no more back pain!

Now if only I'd known this before spending £3,000 on the Recarros!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

OMG!... Well thats great news and funny!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Pan58
Instructor

do you have a wallet in your back left pocket? I have lower back issues that went away after I started taking my wallet out of my pocket and saw a chiropractor , there is a nerve in your hip and lower back that get pinched and the pain shoot down your leg. Might look into it..
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

hi UA

yep, I find that driving the car stop n start is a real pain in the back!!! and as you may be aware North London was grid locked today with the M1 closure......I love the wretched thing so much In put uo with it, but I was cursing today.........and yes the pedal offset is total bollox!!! don't quite get the mat business?? what's the story? I have some after market protector mats down and wonder if they're part of the problem..........

All the best

Ash
Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by ASH.PALIN
hi UA

yep, I find that driving the car stop n start is a real pain in the back!!! and as you may be aware North London was grid locked today with the M1 closure......I love the wretched thing so much In put uo with it, but I was cursing today.........and yes the pedal offset is total bollox!!! don't quite get the mat business?? what's the story? I have some after market protector mats down and wonder if they're part of the problem..........

All the best

Ash
Hi Ash,

Yup... gotta love this city, Ken, and the annoying fact that the roads are gridlocked most of the time. I've been cycling most of the summer, but now the rain, mist and fog are back with a vengeance, well, my bike's on semi-retirement...

The matt thing was really wierd - one of those things that has an effect far out of proportion o its apparent size. Imagine a good three-quarters of an inch taken out of the depth of the footwell. The effects were rather stark: my feet didn't sit properly on the pedals (pushing with the pads rather than the toes), the pedal motion was obstructed, and there was much less space for my feet (so much so I'd get it caught round the back of the dash)...

As soon as I removed it, the difference was immediately apparent - I was fitting better in the seat, and my leg and back muscles weren't aching with every press... Don't get me wrong, it's far from the perfect seating position, but it is so, so, so much better.

Try removing the matt... it's worth a try...

Quick Reply: Question for RHD 993 owners...