Oil cooler fan manual override switch-1995 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:14 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Oil cooler fan manual override switch-1995 993

Having checked the search functions and reviewed the DIY at p-cars.com, I still have a question or 2 about the fan manual override switch:
Previous owner installed the override with a non-lighting double pole single throw toggle switch that has 2 connector posts. It quit working, but I found a blown fuse on the interior lighting circuit (fuse #11 I believe).
We both agreed it would be smart to have the switch lighted while in the activated position, so I bought a Radio Shack Illuminated Rocker switch for DC automotive use; part # 275-712, which is also single pole single throw.
HOWEVER, the new switch has 3 connector posts - ground, load, and power. By connecting the Load and the Ground posts to the already installed manual override shorting wires, I can activate the fan as desired. But, the switch does not light up.
SO, do I need to bring power to the 3rd connector on the switch? Am I missing something else here? Any suggestions as to what I should use as a source for the power lead?
I had thought the switch would just illuminate when turned on.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a EE, but I think if you bring power to the switch it will light up all the time. If you want it to light up when on then you should bring a jumper across from the load terminal.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:42 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks, Mark - let me look at that possibility.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know how to solve your problem but I think the fact that when the fan is "on", the circuit is "off" could be the problem.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:46 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,
Have you considered doing the 944 hazard switch upgrade that Max911 posted a few years ago? The flashing LED is a nice touch. I did it about 2 years ago. If I can do it anyone can!!

I have an extra 944 switch(a practice part); yours for the asking.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/141877-944-hazard-switch-oil-cooler-fan.html
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not familiar with the particular switch you purchased, but from your description of the three connectors, here's what will probably work: Connect the "Power" terminal to your 12v source, the "Load" terminal to the wire that goes to the fan, and the "Ground" terminal to any nearby ground.

When you turn the swith to "On," power flows from the Power terminal to the Load terminal AND internally to the light, the other side of which is grounded via the Ground terminal.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler fan manual override switch-1995 993