Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Unexplained Alarm Activation - yet again??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexplained Alarm Activation - yet again??

I previously posted about my alarm going off in the middle of the night when I was at our mountain house. Having suffered the expected responses about smokey the bear and that sort of stuff, I never really got an answer.

Then, last night - it happened again, although this time it was in our garage here in town, and it went off twice. I suppose there may be a critter down there of some sort, but I certainly don't think so. I just don't know what's happening - battery seems to be fine and I don't think anyone was in the garage (nor did I think anyone was at our mountain house when I posted previously).

Anyway - it's unlikely it's smokey the bear here in the middle of Atlanta.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hound Dog.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 PM
touf
Pro

I have had the same isue when trailering my car to the track.
It was a loose latch on the glove box compartment.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:06 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound Dog
I just don't know what's happening.
The alarm control unit stores the last few events that have triggered it so if you know of anyone with a Bosch Hammer or PST2 you could interrogate the control unit.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Thanks. That's helpful information. My mechanic will have one, but I was hoping for a home remedy to this thing.

I'm just not sure what's happening, but something's happening - as it went off again last night. The thing of it is if I leave the car unlocked, in addition to having left it unlocked, the alarm rearms itself automatically. So, I can't not have this problem.

Someone also said something about how the lights operate in the arming process and that might indicate something about the problem. When I activate the alarm, the red lights inside the car blink and then the front lights (it may also include rear lights) flash twice. Is this the normal progression for the lights?

Any other ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Hound Dog.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound Dog
The thing of it is if I leave the car unlocked, in addition to having left it unlocked, the alarm rearms itself automatically.
When you open the driver's door does the interior light come on? I ask because you mention the car relocks itself. If you unlock the car and don't open the door it should do that. But it will also do that if the door switch (which also triggers the interior light) is stuck or making a bad contact.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my cab has the same gremlin every once in a while. I have never figured it out. Luckily for me...doesn't happen at night. So I've never really spent much time to figure it out. But I'm watching this thread to get some ideas.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Mine did it only once, after a long wet drive. I assume there was water somewhere since it sat, dried out and never did it again.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
911XTC
Advanced

Mine did it because of a bad connection on the radio wiring harness.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:46 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had that problem. Of couse my car is black and everyone knows black 993's are the least problematic. :-)

Quick Reply: Unexplained Alarm Activation - yet again??