Gel Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 PM
993USMC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel Battery Question

Hi all,
First of all, I am loving the new 993! We're just now getting the first snow of the season in VA, a week before I move back to SoCal. I had to pull the car out and get some snow pics for the album.
As some of you know, I'll be leaving the country for an all expense paid trip overseas... courtesy the USMC. My brother, a mechanic up in San Luis Obispo has "selflessly volunteered" to watch the car in my absence. I have an optima gel battery in the car now....Do I need a battery tender? I searched and couldn't find any info on using one of these with a gel type battery.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-21-2007, 02:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it will drain and go "dead" like any other battery.
I use a battery tender on my 964 cab since it sits for extended periods sometimes. It has an Optima in it and will go dead after about 2 weeks.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A battery charge should last much longer than 2 weeks, you either have excessive drain (the problem I have w/ my 968) or the battery is very weak or not being charged.

As for the battery maintainer, you don't NEED a special charger but I would recommend getting one like the Battery Tender Plus. This was discussed in another thread in the last 3 weeks, I'll find it and post the link.

In the 993 Forum, thread titled "Battery Charging", at this time it's on page 5. Sorry, don't know how to link to the thread.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DCullins
As some of you know, I'll be leaving the country for an all expense paid trip overseas... courtesy the USMC.
Thanks,
Doug
Be CAREFUL, OK?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
A battery charge should last much longer than 2 weeks, you either have excessive drain (the problem I have w/ my 968) or the battery is very weak or not being charged.

As for the battery maintainer, you don't NEED a special charger but I would recommend getting one like the Battery Tender Plus. This was discussed in another thread in the last 3 weeks, I'll find it and post the link.

In the 993 Forum, thread titled "Battery Charging", at this time it's on page 5. Sorry, don't know how to link to the thread.
Right, OK, the 2 week quote could be wrong or old news since that was with the previous battery... so I withdraw the 2 week drain quote. I'm old and I forget things. It was likely longer to drain the batt.

Regardless, the thing will need a trickle charge of some sort for the time you will be gone unless someone is driving it for you periodically, at an interval not more than a period of time yet to be determined.

The Porsche battery tender works well for me... I know there are others and the thread Bill mentioned had some good info.

And again Doug, as I said in your previous thread when you were searching for the car, good luck and stay safe.

Quick Reply: Gel Battery Question