Changed SO2As to Conti Contact 2s- Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Nikoncamera
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed SO2As to Conti Contact 2s- Impressions

Had to change from my beloved SO2As, as there were none availble in stock at the moment in town, so went for Continental Contact 2s. (17's, I personally can't see any real world road benefits from going to 18's... and I dont track at all)
Cost about the same, at this end of the world.
Much deeper tread on the Contacts.... my Porsche centre was telling me I needed to change the SO2As at the rear after only about 3000km of use (!) , however I got another years use out of them.... its just that the edge tread levels are so low to start with!
Only got about 6500km ( around 4000 miles) out of the set, BUT, I only drive the car hard, very hard, up into the hills for short sorties.... it gets almost no " normal" use. Wear on the rears was totally even on both (ie both edges of same tyre) outer edges , ie. totally slick, with good tread depth towards the centre. ( I always run the tyres slightly over spec pressures...about 37-38 psi on rears). Dealer said that was slightly atypical, he mostly only sees tyres worn on inside edges.
Fronts, obviously had much less wear, but still on both edges.
Grip from SO2As in dry was magnificent, especially towards the end of their lives.
I never thought their wet performance was that great.
The Contact2s are a little bit of a contrast. Superb in the wet, very impressive. But , out of the box, no match for nicely worn SO2As in the dry.
I think , maybe the extra tread depth, initially, is allowing a touch more movement than I am used to. I'm looking forward to see how they go with a lot more wear.
However, that movement, is fun to play with at the moment, allowing the car to move around slightly more than "normal", and tipping into a corner feels very different.
It feels like there is a little more understeer to counter, so you have to be a bit more hands on (or foot on, then off, then on...heh heh) to neutralize it.
So, it willbe intersesting to see how they change over time, and if they end up with the same dry grip as the SO2As.
But i do HATE the side graphics on the Contis....way over the top!
Cheers Lyndon
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Curious why you got the older 2s, rather than the current model Conti SportContact 3?

I've read that the new 3s are more sporting, but Contis have always been a step behind.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Nikoncamera
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wanted to get Conact 3's, but couldnt get them in 17's.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Changed SO2As to Conti Contact 2s- Impressions