993 Forum 1995-1998

Vehicle storage in LA / Western America area

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Vehicle storage in LA / Western America area

Cheers- I think I'm gonna move to Tokyo for a while- Maybe a year or so to 6 months- I have a 993 and a sportbike- I can just put my apartment full of stuff in storage and take what I need with me, but I'm kinda stumped on what to do with the 993>>? Is there a decent place where I can store my car indoors for a year? anybody here have a garage/barn that I can rent for a while- it could be anywhere in the west.. I guess I could drive pretty far if the deal was good- I'll keep the insurance running, .. maybe I'll just sell it?

Thanks-

Coleman.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:44 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented a single garage 10x20 for my 3rd car not far from the house at one of those storage places. The nation-wide companies have a policy of no vehicles.. actually no gasoline in storage.. but this storage facility is privately owned and they make the rules. $125/mo. In Fair Oaks (Sac) CA.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Coleman -

How soon you moving? I've got space at my place ... but if you noticed ... no garage. You know if I did ... you'd be welcome to it.

Scott
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the offer Scott- I dunno how soon I'll depart, maybe 2 months... it's kinda a massive undertaking, (moving to another continent) so i'm just looking at the options.. I know I can always sell the car, I just would rather not.. ( I could always whimp out and move to LA ;-)

C./
Old 01-14-2007, 11:10 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Coleman, I've been meaning to check this out for vacation weeks....
http://www.autokennel.com/the%20AUTOKENNEL.html
Old 01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I kept my 993 in a storage place for a few months out in palm springs- not too expensive...but I don't know about leaving it unsupervised for a year
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

We have storage space available at our 15,000 sqft facility in Orange County.
Located across the street from PMNA and the former Andial.

visit www.gmgracing.com for more info or email me directly,

fabryce@gmgracing.com

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default A year's a long time to store a vehicle. A real concern is ...

Originally Posted by Coleman
Cheers- I think I'm gonna move to Tokyo for a while- Maybe a year or so to 6 months- I have a 993 and a sportbike- I can just put my apartment full of stuff in storage and take what I need with me, but I'm kinda stumped on what to do with the 993>>? Is there a decent place where I can store my car indoors for a year? anybody here have a garage/barn that I can rent for a while- it could be anywhere in the west.. I guess I could drive pretty far if the deal was good- I'll keep the insurance running, .. maybe I'll just sell it?

Thanks-

Coleman.
well, among many, is rodent damage. Rodents can enter the vehicle and when they're through the wiring harness can be ruined. Newer Porsches that have experienced this require upwards of $4000 or more to put right. Replacing a wiring harness is a very time consuming job.

Even assuming the vehicle avoided rodent intrusion, it will still suffer considerable from being idle that long. What suffers is too long to list, but it will be almost everything from door/window seals, to engine/drivetrain seals, gaskets, rotors will likely rust, even iron/steel parts in engine.

Also, you will not get any use out of the vehicle, but still bear the depreciation, the cost of insuring it, and on putting back in roadworthy condition upon your return. Be sure you handle the registration right before you leave or you could be facing a problem registering the vehicle upon your return.

You might consider selling the vehicle, banking the money, and upon your return finding another 993, a year's depreciation cheaper 993, and maybe a better car too boot: Newer model, fewer miles, more/better options, etc.

If you store the car, be sure you get insurance that covers the car against all risks, including theft, vandalism, fire, water damage, wind, (rodent?), etc.

Sincerely,

Macster
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

I have stored my cars for years and years. Never had a problem with rodents or otherwise. I never left the car outside, it was always stored in an enclosed garage of some type. The best place I found once was outside of houston Texas, it was a storage facility that was a converted Home Depot. You would drive in the building and it was fully airconditioned. I had an enclosed space of 10x20 for my porsche and stuff... I left it uncovered for 6 months in there, when I came back it did not have a spec of dust! I was shocked to say the least... The key is to try and find an indoor only facility, hopefully climate controlled. Its not exactly cheap, but it will keep the car in perfect condition. If you rent in the run of the mill storage places without climate control, you may have an issue with heat and humidity.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
RS 197
Pro

I have room in my Hangar. It will join 10 other Porsche's. I am in Salem OR. I would charge $100 per month pre-paid for 1 year. I have full security cameras, heat and monthly rodent/pest control. I would be happy to make room for you.

Keep me posted.

Joe
Joe@multiconst.com
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
I have room in my Hangar. It will join 10 other Porsche's. I am in Salem OR. I would charge $100 per month pre-paid for 1 year. I have full security cameras, heat and monthly rodent/pest control. I would be happy to make room for you.

Keep me posted.

Joe
Joe@multiconst.com
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,809 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Joe: nice digs and fantastic collection. Difficult to single out a car to complement. Love the yellow 930 and very rare. I can't make out the color combo on the cab but looks like metallic black with ____ red. Also rare. and the supercup and RS...

Can't beat that Coleman.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by DJF1

Joe,

Aren't you waiting for additional Porsche to add to your awesome collection?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197

Keep me posted.

Joe
Joe@multiconst.com
That is F-ing sweet Joe!

Scott
Old 01-16-2007, 02:54 AM
djgonzo007
Track Day

Originally Posted by DJF1
^ What he said. Nice collection.

Quick Reply: Vehicle storage in LA / Western America area