Cobra seat install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
MikeHerman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra seat install question

Hi,
I am getting Cobra Imola GTs for my car and had a question that hopefully one of you could answer. I do not know which brackets and sliders to get. I keep hearing different things and would like to know what a good setup is for relatively not too much money. Can you install the seats with side mount brackets onto the stock sliders? or are they only single side locking? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Get ready for a rough ride. Installing these seats was probably the worst DIY I ever did, but it's mainly because I didn't have an ideal adapter bracket. Stupid me used the one that the bungholes at subesports swore would fit perfectly. Yeah right. Not even close. I assume you didn't buy from them because apparently they quit selling them to porsche owners since they couldn't figure out how to get them to fit, and got sick of the complaints about their idiocy.

Problem is that the seat width (i.e. bracket-to-bracket width) is like 0.5" (or maybe 1"??) narrower than the mounting bolt spacing (width-wise) in your car. If they were in line, like Recaros, installation would be mind-numbingly easy. But as it is, you'll need either a correct adapter frame, to custom make an adapter frame, or drill ream drill ream repeat on a hacked up frame like I did. One thing I've been curious about- Sparco makes an "all-purpose" adapter frame that might work. I'd assume it's just a plate with a bunch of holes, and that you'd probably have to drill some holes of your own. But that wouldn't be so bad.

So what you'll do is mount the side mount brackets onto the seat. And bolt these side mount brackets to some generic sliders. Bolt the sliders to the adapter frame. The adapter frame gets bolted into your car's bolt holes. Good luck. Let us know your solution, because I still don't like my setup much.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

I used the Sparco metal side rails they lock on both sides, I still had to ream them a bit. Take your time and you'll be fine. Mine was a little bit more of a pane as I put a square frame under the rails on the driver side seat that had the female threaded area for the 3 point street belt.
I only tightened the tunnel side rail to seat as those are REAL HARD to get to once the seats in, it gives you a bit of play when mounting. One other thing to watch out for is the adjustment bar, so the seat will slide back and forth. You need to adjust it so it doesn't bind or you'll get your seats in and they won't slide. I removed and re-installed the passenger side a few times before I realized this, thinking the mounting points were binding it wouldn't slide forward or back.

It was frustrating so I just drank a couple of beers and chilled, then just looking at the install once it was in and NOT moving I saw the bar that slips into each slider was not bent correctly so I re bent and she worked great. They are great seats, I've done some 8 hr trips and No Problemo. A good track/street seat.

This is easier than changing the 12th spark plug which I did Sunday, friggin 4.5 hrs later the B**ch was done.
Make sure you have the 6mm allen/socket and I also bought some 10mm x 6mm allens that were 1/4" and 1/2" longer, seemed to help and there's plenty of room @ the factory mounting points.
Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 AM
MikeHerman
Intermediate

What is this square frame you speak of? I though you could bolt the aftermarket sliders to the stock frame no? Are any of the stock parts re-useable? Also, why did you go with sparco sliders rather than Cobra sliders?

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHerman
What is this square frame you speak of? I though you could bolt the aftermarket sliders to the stock frame no? ...
First off, there is no "stock frame" per se. When you remove your seats, there's nothing left but some threaded holes in your car. But yes, you can bolt aftermarket sliders directly into your car. The problem is if your seat is wider or narrower than you need. Some recaros are the correct width for us, while cobras and many others are not. If the width is off, you need some sort of adapter frame. Now I just realized you bought the "GT" which is wider than my Imolas. IIRC, they're wider than your car's mounting holes, whereas my standard Imolas are narrower. You *might* be able to forego the adapter plate by enlarging the holes in your car (you'll have to test fit before that comment makes any sense) and/or enlarging the holes in your side mounts.

... Are any of the stock parts re-useable?...
Again, there aren't any stock parts to reuse.

... Also, why did you go with sparco sliders rather than Cobra sliders?
I used cobra universal sliders. Any sliders will do. But you'll still probably need an adapter plate.

Here's an example of a sparco full-on universal base (not exactly what I used): http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/19.pdf
This won't work for most of us since it raises the seat a lot. See the 2 bars on top that connect the sliders? You need something like that, although one big square would be better than 2 bars (what I'm calling an "adapter plate"). But if your seat is wider than the sliders, then bars like this won't work for you as you can see in the pic.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
MikeHerman
Intermediate

aah ok that picture helps to make sense of it all. I've istalled aftermarket seats in a car before but never a porsche. The last time i did it, I just had to bolt the new sliders to the stock bracket that was bolted to the floor of the car...a much easier install I guess. Lets hope this isn't so bad.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Get the Recaro sliders. The Sparco ones (and I am a Sparco dealer so i know) are designed for a wider seat track than the 993. This means that you need a narrower handle to fit properly (yes a Brey Kruase piece will work and be more $$). But frankly, the Recaro is much better and designed for the proper 993 width. I have sent lots of Sparcos back because you get a rocking in the track kind of thing.

Quick Reply: Cobra seat install question