Sponsored by:

jammed passenger seat track

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 PM
smddanny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jammed passenger seat track

Well I read the p-car DIY about fixing a broken drive shaft on a fore / aft electric seat adjustment (make my next seats manual please!).

The seat is jammed on the track in the full back position. Not a bad place to jam but i wanted to fix it.

The track near the center of the car is free and the motor will move it fore and aft no problem (an inch). The outside track is a pita. It won't move for nothing and it is keeping me from removing the seat since I can't get at the rear mountings.

I removed the drive shaft and reinstalled the drive shaft straight on so that I could muscle it with a vice grips in the end of the fitting. No go. I took a sliding hammer and hooked the bottom of the seat to pull if forward and un jam the mechanism. No go. I tried to get a 17mm deep socket on the threaded shaft under the seat .. no can fit. No room for an open end. Perhaps a crows foot, but it will be difficult to get enough torque to move the seat. I tried putting a sqaure drive in the socket for the drive shaft directly, but I do not have the exact correct size to do this.

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this???

Thanks in advance,

Danny Shapiro
96 993 TT getting all the defects gone slowly.....
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took a long screw diver and ground the square tip to fit. Pretty easy solution.
Here is a thread with a picture of the tool I made.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/232413-no-more-rodeo.html
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
smddanny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great idea and a good thread, but I can't get mine to budge. I tried the scredriver idea and I twisted the driver up. Its got me beat for tonight. Thanks for the idea....

There doesn't seem to anything jammed between the rails.. I just can't see why it should need such force to get the drive screw to rotate, the inside rail moves with a fairly low force...

Danny
96 993TT

Quick Reply: jammed passenger seat track