Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: New Vehicle with 100+ miles??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy OT: New Vehicle with 100+ miles??

Hello to everyone.

OT and different brand. But I've always gotten great thoughts/oppinions here in rennlist!

I'm currently negotiating an '07 FX35 with Tech Package in Copper Color and Brick interior. Since it's the least in-demand color, they(Infiniti/Charles Baker) don't have the exact unit in their lot here in Va Beach, Va. The rep is saying that they have to trade one from another dealership and they actually have to send someone to drive it to pick it up. By now I'm scratching my head. I thought they freight them and its included to what I'm paying. But they said that the freight was the initial trucking of vehicles to the dealership lots from the port.

The nearest 2 units they located are in DC area So it will have at least 210 miles

Has anyone encountered this before??

Thank you in advance. ~Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I had that happen. I live in Austin, bought a car from a San Antonio dealer, and they did a trade from a dealership in Austin. Thus the car I wanted was already here in Austin, but they still had to drive it to the dealer in San Antonio to do the deal. Really dumb, but I saved thousands doing it that way. It didn't cost me any money for them to send the driver.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oponion would be that if they want you to pay more then forget it, you can go somewhere else.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mstupp
I've had a car delivered that way. The local dealer made a trade and sent someone off to the other dealer. The driver picked up my car with 7 miles on the ODO and drove it back, ending with about 160 when delivered to me. I had no problem with doing it this way. I did not pay extra for that, nor would I. I'd rather rent a car and drive to get it myself than pay extra for that service.
I told the dealership that I am willing to pick it up myself, but they said they can't allow me to, due to legalities. I weary about someone driving the car and messing up the break in procedure. /But the dealership is saying that they do this all the time and their drivers are matured and careful... I hope they don't do Schumacher pulls and turns
Old 01-05-2007, 07:08 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not pay extra, but the practice does seem to be common. Our Toyota Highlander was the only white one with Nav in CA at the time we got it. It was driven from the Fresno dealer to SF Toyota, and had about 200 miles on it when we got it. The funny thing is, we actally saw the car when we were in Fresno about a week or so earlier, but we were not prepared to buy it on the spot.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with James... eventhough only 200 miles and they do this everyday... still doesn't make them care about what they're doing. Just my .02
Old 01-05-2007, 07:57 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see a lot of mostly higher-end stuff being delivered around Southern California by flat bed tow truck. That's the only way I would do it on principle (NEW car). I also wouldn't pay any more for that service.

Failing that, I'd get on the phone/web and find out just who it is that has that unit and go buy it there in person.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer transfer. I used to drive some cars at the dealer for this purpose. My advise, pick it up yourself or have it shipped.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a summer job doing dealer swaps. It was great fun and I got to thrash around in new cars! ....
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
ChrisA
Advanced

Bought a new Cayenne in 05' and of course the extras and color requested by my wife was only available in NC, we live near San Francisco. The dealer and I had already settled on a price based on a local car (different color) so when we wanted the color change they had no choice but to bring the vehicle in from NC. Car was shipped in an enclosed truck, dealer paid for all charges related to shipping. A new vehicle should have less than 10 miles period. I would no want anybody driving my new car, espesially if they are delivering it. I think if the dealer wants to sell the car to you, they need to get creative.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have them truck it in for you, Mike..... I had a Mercedes driven down from San Francisco to L.A. in "82.. It arrived with a chip in the paint and I never forgave myself for not waiting for the same car to arrive locally.....
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My S4 was a dealer trade. However, I never even had to ask, and they flat-bed shipped the car.
A Mitsubishi 3000 that I bought in 1999 was driven by a "driver" from one dealership to another.
Probably varies by the dealership and the brand.
As others have pointed out, why not just drive the car yourself? Heck, negotiate your personal cost to get there into your deal, and the “savings” in gas, labor, etc on the dealerships part. That way also, you know it will not be “some college kid”, or worse, the lowest mechanic’s second cousin, enjoying the first 200 miles in your car.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

I've been talking with the BMW dealer here about a car for my wife and she is fairly particular about what she wants. So far they are saying they will locate one the closest to her specs and once we approve will send a truck and trailer to get it. No additional cost, they will do the trade with another dealer to make the sale. Seems particularly on a higher end car this would be the expectation.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Go to that dealer and buy it there -- or at least mention that to the original dealer. Shouldnt have to pay for transport.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a few of these swaps for a dealer when I was in college. I was very careful -- I just have too strong a sense of mechanical sympathy to abuse a car. However, the other guys who did these swaps -- mostly kids -- let's just say I would not want to own the car after they drove it the first few hundred miles. Various high speed and other "interesting" stories were told. They also ate and drank in the car. I would absolutely not have it driven by someone you know nothing about. This dealer would charge for shipping if you wanted it delivered by flatbead rather than driven for the swap.

Quick Reply: OT: New Vehicle with 100+ miles??