Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's that noise? - Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007 | 05:29 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Default What's that noise? - Pt 2

In Pt 1 I posted that I had a noise in the belt sensor area. No warning lights, just a "zinging" noise. I followed the pcar.com procedure for R&R, lubed the wheel and put it all back together.

Now, I have no noise but I am getting an intermittant (!) and belt sensor light . The belt tension is fine and there are no issues with the belts themselves BUT I do notice a definite wiggle in the plug at the top of the sensor...The male/female junction is tight, but the whole plug wiggles in the sensor housing.

Would anyone care to walk out, pop the bonnet on their car, and see if their belt sensor plug is loose or tight where it exits the sensor housing?

TIA

TMc
Old 01-04-2007 | 05:46 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

My connector jiggles slightly, but is secure. Be sure you fully pressed in the retaining clip wire on the plug when you reattached.

It's also possible that the microswitch in the sensor is not fully contacting. IIRC, there was a small amount of play right & left when attaching the sensor body. I made sure that I positioned the sensor body as far right (clockwise) as possible to ensure that the microswitch was fully engaged.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-04-2007 | 11:16 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Eric,

Yes, it does make sense. I started the job too late in the evening on Monday and as usual, what should have been a 10 minute job took about 45 minutes due to my dropping the mounting bolt down into the crank pulley shroud (Twice! ) and having to fabricate a magnet thingy to retrieve it. In the end I was rushing to get the sensor back in place and tied down. Tomorrow I'll loosen the sensor housing and tighten it as you describe.

I know I'll eventually need to replace the sensor, but as a southern boy, I have this tendency to poke at things with a stick until I'm sure they're dead.

Thanks for the response and advice!

TMc

Quick Reply: What's that noise? - Pt 2