Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspicious ebay auction on Litronics

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

regarding photos in the auctions- notice that the background details are different in each and every auction? Resolution and picture size varies alot? Shooting style and angle quite different? Some have a logo/watermark?
Probably a bunch of images hijacked from other sellers' previous auctions.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, some of his other items that have bids have bidders ID hidden so you cannot see whether real people are bidding or just a few alias names that he has going... This should get interesting given the value he has "on sale".

Cheers,

David
Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. I've been away from Rennlist for a few months, but I surf over just now and find this thread. About an hour ago, I won the auction on those Litronics.

I honestly didn't figure I'd win, as my max bid was quite a bit less than the $1000+ they've been going for on eBay over the last few months. If this auction is legit, I'm truly getting the lights at a bargain -- about half my max bid.

After reading this thread I'm afraid I'm getting ripped off. I guess there's no way to know at this point without going through with the transaction.

I've had to contact the seller because the you-won-the-item-pay-now email from eBay only had the guy's name and "Seattle, WA 98105" as the address. That's not enough to send a money order/cashier's check to. So far I've not heard back from him (but it's only been about 30 minutes).

Any of you guys in Seattle willing to check out the address (or at least give me an idea of how likely it is to be legit) when I get it?

From reading shinsales' "about me" page on eBay, he claims most of his items are on consignment, which would explain the various backgrounds, camera angles, etc. That said, I don't like that he only has book sales in his feedback thus far...

To complicate things, I'm traveling on business tomorrow so my wife is going to be trying to get the payment all taken care of. I think I'll have her wait till Thursday to buy some time to check things out more.

As the old adage goes, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is." Though my gut says otherwise, I'm hoping not, in this case... *sigh*

-Chris
Old 01-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, good luck, Chris. Maybe it will work out fine and you just got a great deal. You never know.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, I may be wrong but I think you may have gotten an okay deal. What I think you bought are after-market litronics fitted to OEM head lamps. Figure the litronics to be $200-300 plus the headlights plus the labor to install them - not bad if that is indeed what you bought. Let us know what you find.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Tell him you have a friend in Seattle and would like him to pick up the lights and give him cash. If he says no, don't do the deal. I am sure we can find someone on RL that lives close by to help you out.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually asked him if they were regular headlights modified to be HIDs, and he promptly said no, they are factory Litronics. I then asked if he would take a photo of the ballasts for me, and if all the wiring was included ... he never replied.

I would only buy these in person with cash if I were you; I certainly wouldn't seen a money order or a personal check off and cross my fingers. Colin has the right idea.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3
I actually asked him if they were regular headlights modified to be HIDs, and he promptly said no, they are factory Litronics. I then asked if he would take a photo of the ballasts for me, and if all the wiring was included ... he never replied.
That does not sound good.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the replies. FWIW, the picture in the auction listing shows both the headlight units themselves and the ballasts, along with the harness that connects the two.

Still haven't gotten an address back from him (but it's only been an hour and a half or so). Once I do, I'll post it in case a Rennlister in Seattle could give me some additional insight.

Best,

Chris
Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Good Luck Chris. Let us know what happens...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im still baffled how you going from selling 35 paperback books all for average of a $2 a piece to Porsche, Honda, and Yamaha motorcycle parts along with high end wheels and rims. No reserve and free shipping on cylce engines????

Get a phone #. Wonder if the payment must go to a PO BOX??

But hey, UFO's are landing at O'hare airport so I guess anything is possible.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Check this out, he has 993 Turbo Engines and all kinds of Porsche stuff,
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...erid=shinsales
Chris
Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Im still baffled how you going from selling 35 paperback books all for average of a $2 a piece to Porsche, Honda, and Yamaha motorcycle parts along with high end wheels and rims. No reserve and free shipping on cylce engines????
His "About me" page on eBay claims most of his business is through consignment; perhaps that would explain it. I dunno. I'm trying to find ways to be optimistic (admittedly difficult for a cynic like me...).

-Chris
Old 01-03-2007, 12:42 AM
eichlerman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior to placing a higher bid I sent him a PM requesting additional pictures and asked his location so I could inspect the item. I received no response.

I also thought is was interesting that he had 9 items for sale valued at over $5000 that would all complete in the next day or two. In all cases he is asking for pre-payment. If it is a scam he'll get his money on all items by next week and he's gone.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:59 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Just for giggles, I emailed him yesterday on the Honda CBR Engine-VIN#, how many miles it had, and a phone # where I could contact him. 30 hours later, not a peep.

If you cant produce a phone # to ask a question about an engine, come on.

Quick Reply: Suspicious ebay auction on Litronics