Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake light flashing occasionally while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:54 AM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking brake light flashing occasionally while driving...

I did a search and found the following, but don't know if this is referring to the brake light *not* illuminating when setting the e-brake, or if it is referring to my current problem. In the last few weeks, every time I go for a drive, the "!" light and the parking brake light flash momentarily while I'm driving. I'm not touching the e-brake handle, and the light stays for only a second or two, but it's flashing every few minutes while I'm driving. Anybody had this happen recently? Thanks,

Rick

My parking brake light has become intermittant, and after doing a search here I removed the console and found the a loose ground wire with a y shaped metal connector attached to it. The brake handle has a metal contact at the end that most make a pressure contact. Where does the other piece attach? It has me stumped. One end of the connector has a ledge/catch on the end.thanks,rich

The brake is held to the tunnel with a bracket attached with 4x13mm bolts. At the rear end of this bracket, its shaped like a U. Inside this U is a plastic piece with a copper contact that hits the contact on the end of the brake handle itself. The piece inside the U is held in place by a 7mm bolt from the passenger side. The wire attached to this piece from the rear. tim
Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a contact that supplies a ground to the light when the hand brake lever is pulled up.
Yours has probably slipped out and while driving it will occasionaly touch something that will create a ground- lighting the bulb.
I had posted a few pictures in a thread a couple of years ago, but the pics are not showing now for some resason.
The metal contact fits in a channel in a plastic block. It will have to be reinserted.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks...

Max,

Cool. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Regards,

- rick
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

found the jpegs on an old hard drive:

the last photo shows the black plastic piece that the metal contact slides into, and how the metal piece on the lever itself contacts it. Hint: make sure the park brake lever is off (down) when trying to reinsert contact into block.

good luck,
max

Quick Reply: Parking brake light flashing occasionally while driving...