Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Life at the bottom of the slipperly slope,engine rebuild pics,with sappy P-Car story!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life at the bottom of the slipperly slope,engine rebuild pics,with sappy P-Car story!

My first Porsche was the fourth Boxster to be delivered in Vancouver in 1997. After 24 years of owning only Porsches with scales in front of them I finally had a 1:1. When I picked up my car there was also a Carrera S in the showroom that was far out of my price range but she had me at Hello lol!! I loved the Boxster and took it on many road trips down the coast between Vancouver and Big Sur with my now wife. While followed in 2001 by a Boxster S I have always been waiting for the right C2S at the right price (that being one I can afford). Two years ago and after one very long year without a P-Car I found my car, a very well taken care of 1997 Carrera S. Earlier this year I had the SAI thing start and so I put a lot of thought into how long I wanted to keep the car (for me 1 year is long.. lol the Porsches have been the only cars I have ever owned for more than like 15 months), I decided they would be reading my eulogy while I was in state in the drivers seat of this car. With that decided I set about to get the engine straightened out, I had a flush that lasted 6 months, but with some niggling other things and a general desire to freshen up the car and put some serious legs under the drive-train I settled on a top-end rebuild, RS/LWF, RS Shifter, Chip, massage the SAI's and generally replace any hard to get at or prone to fail parts. Off the car went to Steve W in Portland.. amazing shop and a P-Car wet dream, from hot street cars to full race cars and from every era. Myself and my car were grinning from ear to ear.

So.. what's the car like now... hrm.. its two different cars.. two very different cars.. its very hard to explain but the change is pronounced.. the best analogy me and the wife could come up with was that before when you drove spiritedly the car had a tiny lag and it always felt like it was pushing you and the car, now the car has zero lag and basically grabs you by the scruff of the neck and pulls you forward. Its two different cars.

I would like to thank Steve and Jeff at Rennsport, and Mr Linton for giving me a totally different car back. I look forward to getting my Dach pipes and cats on in the new year too.. this community has been a wealth of information, support and a huge boost to the whole ownership experience of these very very unique cars (of course this ONLY includes 993's, the other P-cars are merely income generators for the Mothership lol)

Below is some ****.. the engine has 115,000KM on her and she feels brand new.

Merry X-mas and Happy Holidays..

Always remember the key is on the left the pedal is on the right.

SinVancouver.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:06 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Here is the engine out and with the donor car in the background..

Feeling a little naked

Bits and Bolts

One of these things is not like the others

In the round
Old 12-20-2006, 03:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great story. Great pictures. Welcome!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

That engine looks pristine! My god, I would have actually had a meal on the engine so that I could always say, yes, I actually have eaten off of that engine.

I've spoken to Steve W. several times on the phone. I wish he was closer to me (or perhaps its better off that he's not closer). Congrats on having the transformation done. Sounds to me like you've had the right attitude throughout the process. An expensive habit but one worthwhile in the end!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that looks really nice You can look forward to a few more ponies to help kick you in the pants with the cat pipes And apparently they'll be in real nice company with that clean motor.......nothing like making us look good

Enjoy and we'll be in touch next year
Old 12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great car, I don't even want to ask what all that work cost!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:38 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcar964
lol thats what my wife said..
Old 12-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story and thanks for sharing. My first experience w/Boxster gave me a kind of mental block about ever owning one. I worked at VW/Audi/Porsche dealership in 1997. The 1st guy to take delivery of a Boxster brought it back 2 days later. He said "it's just not me".

I waited until I could buy a 993 (after houses and stuff), and I still kind of regret being a "one Pcar guy".
Old 12-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964

You just did.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

WOW
Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Great story. Great pictures. Welcome!
I second this comment.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 232 Posts

Scott,
Fantastic story! The engine looks as good as new. I'm sure Steve took great care of you.

Andreas
Old 12-20-2006, 11:55 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Great pics. Could you elaborate on the top end rebuld, what was done or not done and why?
Thanks
Jack
Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Very nice pics. It's amazing how simple the flat 6 looks when you pull all the stuff off the top. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 AM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Why is a tough one.. basically... I decided that the majority of the work was going to be inevitable as I am planning on keeping the car, well, forever. Following this logic these era cars are quickly moving out of the "readily available parts" zone. I figured that while the Canadaian Dollar was high, the expertise was close, and the CFO (my wife) agreed now was the time to get work done on the drivetrain so I could put another couple 100K on the odo before needing more work. Steve's shop is world class, as is the knowledge, reasonable rates, and no tax.. win win win. This car is only two years new to me so this was also an opportunity to make sure the PO's didn't leave any surprises.

I had the usual worn guides, some intermittent and 'odd' knocks and SAI blockage, and as always the "while you are in there list is long and detailed.(the parts list was almost 3 full pages!)

Things that came up were (and these are just from memory and not a complete list)
- de-carbon everything
- check thru-bolts
- Check P/C's (they were in top shape)
- replace some old o-rings with new improved ones to prevent small leaks (dont know much about this)
- replace worn out exhaust valves
- replaced a bent kinematic arm on the rear suspension (this was most likely caused by a really bad tow-truck/flatbed driver)
- improved guides with related machining to higher tolerances than stock (newer material, should be good for 100,000 miles)
- replaced the ISV
- repaired a pitted Cam
- installed a new breather cover from Mr. Linton
- rebuild/refresh the ignition system

lots of small things were replaced.. mostly anything that tends to wear/break and is hard to get at.

I went in with the goal of locking down the transmission and engine for another very significant amount of mileage. For any owner who was not planning on keeping the car till it dies this probably would make no sense. I specifically didn't want to go to all the trouble of taking the drive train out of the car and the top-end off and leave some $50 part that given the mileage on the car might be a problem in the near future and not replace or check it.

You know how it goes.. you make a clean spot.

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Great pics. Could you elaborate on the top end rebuld, what was done or not done and why?
Thanks
Jack

Quick Reply: Life at the bottom of the slipperly slope,engine rebuild pics,with sappy P-Car story!