Sponsored by:

ipod or other mp3 set-up for 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Bill48
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Question ipod or other mp3 set-up for 993

Has anyone equipped their 993 with an ipod or other MP3 player set-up? --- How did you mount it? --- whose product?
I have a Becker CDR 220 receiver
Old 12-17-2006, 12:21 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have RCA jacks that stick out on the passengers side so thats my interface to my stereo in my C4. All my vehicles are XM and Ipod capatible, I dont have any mounting hardware for the Ipod. I had a hard plastic case (with my mini) that has a belt clip on it and it just clips to whatever. I do have docks for my XM in each vehicle and just take the receiver from car to car.

I just upgraded to the 80Gig Ipod--black from a 6 gig mini blue. My XM and Ipod was ripped out of my SUV along with part of my dash and a few other stereo components in late Oct. I downloaded serveral eposides of Southpark for my flights trips to Anchorage and Puerto Vallarta over the past week and a half. The 80 gig is pretty sweet!!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:24 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 433 Posts

I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood that is Ipod and Sirius/XM capable with the proper adapters. I have the Ipod in my glove box and control it with the head unit and it works great. It doesnt have the ease of use as the IPod itself but once you set up playlists and learn how to navigate its quite easy. The amp on the head unit is garbage as are all head unit amps so I run a two MacIntosh amps in the luggage compartment up front along with the speaker crossovers for Dynaudio car speakers. The sound will melt your brain...
Old 12-17-2006, 03:18 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the original head unit, disconnected the RCA jacks that plug into my 6 disc changer, bught a cable that has RCA jacks on one end and the male mini jack on the other, plugged the RCA end into my changer, ran the cable into the cabin via one of the plugs in the fire wall in the driver-side footwell, under the dash and out the ashtray where I plug the mini jack end into my iPod. The iPod fits nicely in the ash tray (with butt tray removed - this used to be my preferred storage spot for my phone). Put a disc (you only need one) in the changer that you never want to listed to again (burn a really long one). Select you changer on the head unit and turn on your iPod. Enjoy! You can't control the iPod from the head unit, and it won't charge this way but you do get great sound from it. The only other minimal downside is that the sound shuts off briefly when the disc changer goes from the last track back to the first track.

This is a great low-tech easy DIY solution - assuming you have a CD changer.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Just make sure you save your files in 'wav' format so you get decent sound quality (i.e. not MP3 or equivalent).
Old 12-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to Circuit City and got some run of the mill Sony head unit installed with an auxillary adapter, eBay'ed off my stock head unit, which more than paid for the whole thing and it all worked out fine.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be adding a new Alpine to mine in about a week. The Alpine will provide XM, iPod and will be used with a Parrot bluetooth unit.

I had an Alpine in the ML430 and it was ok for the iPod, the new units are much better (not perfect but better). I really like bluetooth integrated into the stereo for the hands free. My cab has an ambient sound level of about 82 db and even a headset can be hard to hear. Having through the stereo will ensure I can hear the caller. (Now if they just had active noise cancelling technology like in the Acura...)
Old 12-17-2006, 11:52 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how mine looks with a mini and CDR-220
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a Belkin Tune Base (black) to match my black iPod, and it works brilliantly. The swan-neck means that the iPod is perfectly located for convenient tuning (I have fastened it to the air vent for stability), and the sound quality is comparable to radio transmission. It also charges the iPod whilst driving. Couldn't be easier.

Last edited by Reuben; 12-12-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:51 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I used the original head unit, disconnected the RCA jacks that plug into my 6 disc changer, bught a cable that has RCA jacks on one end and the male mini jack on the other, plugged the RCA end into my changer, .
Fisher, I'm probably not following why you did what you did, but couldn't you just connect the iPod to your RCA's on your stereo? I mean why keep the CD Changer connected? Once you use an iPod, you'll probably never go back to changing discs, right?

Anyway, I have an Alpine cda9830 which is able to control my iPod nano. I tried that setup but was not satisfied with the control aspect of the head unit, it seemed much more complicated and limited as well compared to the simplicity of the iPod. So I returned the required adapter and installed bought a connector made by Nyco that goes from line level off your iPod to RCA jacks...best sound quality as you probably know. Down side is of course that no charging is provided by this setup, but I prefer the better sound quality.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:27 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went low tech. Put a long RCA jack in the back of the head, the AUX setting, and put the IPod, loose, in the tray under the EB. It workks for me.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

There used to be a device called an Ice Link that plugges into the CD changer input on the back of the CDR 220. I have one hooked up to a Traffic Pro and keep the iPod in the glove box. The Ice Link charges the iPod, turns it off and on when your turn the CDR 220 off and on, and you can adjust the volume, fast forward, rewind and skip ahead or back with the controls on the CDR 220. I believe the Ice Link is no longer made but I think I have an extra one if you are interested.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

You may also want to check to see if they make an iPod connector for your HU.
I'm using a Pioneer DEH-P3700MP HU with the Pioneer CD-IB100 II iPod interface.
The iPod interface fit nicely in the compartment on the right side of the center console.
I also installed a Bird armrest and ran the iPod wire under the center console to the back of the armrest and keep the iPod there.
This set up allows you to control the iPod with the HU and it also charges the iPod.
Attached Images   
Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an Alpine head unit, with the interface in the glove-box, and the iPod coming out under the heater controls.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/ipod_demo.htm

It's an ok setup, but don't believe what they say about 'easy browsing' - the interface SUCKS! It is slow, and the strip is unwieldy and awkward, and in true aftermarket tradition, there are a zillion buttons that do a million things. I STILL haven't worked out how to do some really basic things, like shuffle (you can plug the iPod in after setting it to shuffle and it'll work).

The only real way to browse is by setting up playlists (10 is probably the max workable amount). Sounds good though
Old 12-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
It's an ok setup, but don't believe what they say about 'easy browsing' - the interface SUCKS! It is slow, and the strip is unwieldy and awkward, and in true aftermarket tradition, there are a zillion buttons that do a million things. I STILL haven't worked out how to do some really basic things, like shuffle (you can plug the iPod in after setting it to shuffle and it'll work).
The Alpine interface looks much richer than my Pioneer, but if it's a PIA to use then...

I am able to set my iPod to shuffle and then plug it in and it works correctly. You should give it a try.

Quick Reply: ipod or other mp3 set-up for 993