Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another Record : Speeding Ticket in Virginia 5 days into ownership!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:00 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty Smith
Attorney or not the defense should be "going with the speed of traffic". Anyone that has driven on 495 knows that if you're not going 80 you're going to get run over. .......
LMAO!!!! That is true! and too funny!

PS.. I think I have the record, I got pulled after only a few hours of ownership.. Talk about a reality check...
....So, if you got pulled over a few hours into ownership...that settles that issue!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:58 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
LMAO!!!! That is true! and too funny!

....So, if you got pulled over a few hours into ownership...that settles that issue!
Not so fast!!! I got pulled over about 2 hrs into the drive back from buying my 993 out of town. I got a ticket for doing 70 in a 55 mph zone even though the 70 mph sign was visible when we pulled into the left lane to accelerate to 70. My wfe, who was driving my old Bimmer and had pulled over when she saw I was being stopped, was told rather rudely by the officer to get the heck out of there. He told me she was doing "only" 67. He had a huge grin on his face when he told me to enjoy my new car as he handed me the ticket. I thought about hiring a local attorney to fight the ticket, but fortunately I was able to take a defensive driving class to keep the ticket off my record since I hadn't had one in over 7 years. But that's Texas. Cost me about $130 including the price of the class.

I'm sure there is someone on this board though who probably received a ticket while test driving the car before they bought. it

Dan
Old 12-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty Smith
For you fellow Virginia drivers with detectors, how do you conceal them?

Anyone know the fines/penalties associated with using them....

Attorney or not the defense should be "going with the speed of traffic". Anyone that has driven on 495 knows that if you're not going 80 you're going to get run over.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

PS.. I think I have the record, I got pulled after only a few hours of ownership.. Talk about a reality check...

VA no longer confiscates detectors. I've been pulled over twice and had the cop stick his head in my window to talk and both times he never saw the detector above my rear view mirror. If they catch you with one, it's a $90 fine for the detector and you probably wouldn't get out of a speeding ticket then either. But my detectors have both paid for themselves several times and they are well worth whatever they cost to buy and keep.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
billhart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also a pretty good stealth way to mount the V1, but more expensive, using the rear view mirror as a display. You buy a pre-etched mirror package as a direct replacement for the one currently in your car, which has the V1 displays- as well as displays for Lidatek units- built into the mirror glass. You still need to buy or use a V1 unit on top of that, but the unit can be discreetly hidden. I had AI in NY do my GT2- it was not cheap but you really could not tell that there was a detector in the car unless you looked at the mirror itself, and the unit was turned on. If you do some online searches, you can find various aftermarket mirror assemblies preetched and wired for the V1.
Since I have slowed down, and live in a state where radar is not illegal, I don't go to all this bother anymore. I simply attach the V1 to a hardwire and mount it using suction cups adjacent to my factory rear view, which I leave intact. Works fine, and is virtually invisible, for my purposes.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Southampton76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got busted in NH last April for, they claim, 93 in a 65 on the interstate. It was more like 80 mph MAX. That was more than 26mph over. In NH its a 30 day ban and $800 fine. I was BEHIND a VM Golf and a Merc was behind me. No way were we going 90MPH, too much traffic, even the ticket stated medium traffic, yet I got pulled and the others were let go. The cop pulled me over grinning from ear to ear and told me "Thats what you get for driving a Porsche in this state" ! I kid you not.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mstupp
V1 is supposed to be invisible to the VG2. Is the VG2 improved so that is no longer true?
I know but you never know what new technology the police have. If I get a strong K band signal, that's a good sign that there's a cop nearby. I'm going to slow down anyway and figure it can't hurt to shut the detector off.

Also, I didn't realize that VA doesn't take away radar detectors. The thought of losing the V1 is enough of a deterrant to shut the unit off when I get a signal. Still, I'd like to avoid having to pay a $90 fine, in addition to a speeding ticket. Might make a PBJ a bit more difficult to come by.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

I suspect that even with the super heterodyne design of the V1 receivers that they are undetectible by the authorities.

Quick Reply: Another Record : Speeding Ticket in Virginia 5 days into ownership!