Sponsored by:

Rebuild Time......Hint, Tip and Words of Wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rebuild Time......Hint, Tip and Words of Wisdom

I just noticed my car burned 3/4 of a quart of oil in the last 800 miles. The car was consistently burning about a quart every 2000 miles. If this is not some sort of fluke, I imagine a top end rebuild is in order. The car has only 70k miles on it, is this too early? Are there any other things it could be other than worn valve guides? I am planning on keeping this car for a long time if not forever and want to get it in order to run another 70k miles. Any hints, tips or words of wisdom invovling the rebuild and things to do while the engine is out? Thanks.

Last edited by TrackJunke; 12-14-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it would be well worth the money to have the compression and leakdown checked first; the rule of thumb is 1000 miles per quart is still okay. If the car is running well and still pulling strong, I'd be disinclined to mess with it. Have you changed brands of oil? Pulled the undertray to see if you have a leak? Revved it up to 5000 rpms while driving, let it fall down to 2000 or so with engine braking, then floored it and looked behind you to see if it's smoking? Lots of variables here. Bruce Anderson's advice on worn valve guides was to wait until the car tells you it wants to be rebuilt ... it will start drinking oil and smoking and fouling its plugs and then you know.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

No leaks as the engine tray is off. The car runs fine, no change in performance that I have noticed. I will check for smoke but as far as I know it is fine. thanks for the advice.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
I just noticed my car burned 3/4 of a quart of oil in the last 800 miles. The car was consistently burning about a quart every 2000 miles. If this is not some sort of fluke, I imagine a top end rebuild is in order. The car has only 70k miles on it, is this too early? Are there any other things it could be other than worn valve guides? I am planning on keeping this car for a long time if not forever and want to get it in order to run another 70k miles. Any hints, tips or words of wisdom invovling the rebuild and things to do while the engine is out? Thanks.
Sounds fishy to me. These "all of a sudden" changes in behavior always seem fishy to me. Are u sure you're mileage versus oil requirements are accurate?
I'd drive her a lot more and would take more accurate readings on oil consumption. I'd also keep a similar log on fuel consumption and 'driving behavior' e.g. acceleration (or lack of), etc.

I'm just trying to save u some $.

G.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't forget - at this time of year (approaching winter or immersed in it) the car when fully warmed up will be a t a lower temp than in the summer. This typically translates into a lower oil level on the gage or stick making it look like you've burned some when maybe you haven't.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:37 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
My car behaved in the exact same manner where it all of a sudden started eating oil. Also, I have learned that a catalyst does a fine job of "absorbing" burned oil in the exahust so you never see blue smoke out of the tail pipe. My car had zero signs other than oil consumption that it was due for a top end rebuild at about 93-94k miles. I have learned (IIRC) from my wrench as well as Steve Weiner of Rennsport that valve guide wear is a function of tight or not so tight tolerances from the factory. Some engines guides go at 30k, some much higher. I guess I got lucky. I didnt bother with a leakdown test and such as my miles were at the point where you'd most likely want to get the top end done anyway. However at 70k miles its probably prudent to do so. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". As being someone who just went through what you are now (within the past three weeks) I'd be happy to help with any questions you have (assuming I actually know what I'm talking about). Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Time......Hint, Tip and Words of Wisdom