Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Announcement: Carrera 4 - bought for $15,000 2 days ago (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/317723-announcement-carrera-4-bought-for-15-000-2-days-ago.html)

alpinadvl 12-13-2006 11:57 AM

Announcement: Carrera 4 - bought for $15,000 2 days ago

Just a small announcement to the Rennlist community :

In what could very well be the "deal of the year" - I just took delivery of a 1995 Carrera 4 for $15,000. The car has 130,000 miles but that does not concern me at all - it drives verrry well and was well maintained mechanically by a really nice and genuine "porsche guy". (But it is in dire need of some cosmeting and tuning attention!)

For others looking for a 993 take note :
I bumped into the previous owner on 495 while stuck in traffic, and asked if he new anyone selling a Carrera 4s.... he pulled over and told me he wanted to sell this car. I asked how much, he said "15".....I walked back to my car, and told my girlfriend I am going to buy the car that day - (obviously as long as it drove well - it did).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D So if you see a white "C4s-wannabe" tooling around on ramps and off ramps or even pulled over by the local police enforcement in or around the DC metro area - that would be me having the time of my life! so say hello !
:cheers:

*** PICS ADDED!!!!! : on page 3 (CLICK HERE) ***

CAHRERA 12-13-2006 12:02 PM

1st Requirement PICTURES PLEASE! :to_order:

pcar964 12-13-2006 12:17 PM

That certainly sounds like a great deal. Then again, the circumstances in which you found and purchased the car certainly don't inspire any confidence. If it looks too good to be true... you know the rest. I hope in your case you just got lucky and found an idiot owner who didn't know what his car was worth and threw an easy $10k out the window with an impulsive sale ;) Just get it to an independent shop to have it looked over, and any neglected maintenance items taken care of!

All that said, good luck with the car! let's see some pics!

Randy 1 12-13-2006 12:45 PM

You certainly have brass ones, sirrah. I probably would have given him two grand in a refundable deposit, with the rest due upon a successful PPI. But then again...****, $15 large...that's a lot of WAM (walkin' around money) baked into that price to plow into some serious fix-ups.

An asset well-bought is half-sold, as they say.

tonytrini 12-13-2006 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by alpinadvl

In what could very well be the "deal of the year" - I just took delivery of a 1995 Carrera 4 for $15,000. The car has 130,000 miles but that does not concern me at all - it drives verrry well and was well maintained mechanically by a really nice and genuine "porsche guy". (But it is in dire need of some cosmeting and tuning attention!)

I bumped into the previous owner on 495 while stuck in traffic, and asked if he new anyone selling a Carrera 4s.... he pulled over and told me he wanted to sell this car. I asked how much, he said "15".....I walked back to my car, and told my girlfriend I am going to buy the car that day - (obviously as long as it drove well - it did).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D So if you see a white "C4s-wannabe" tooling around on ramps and off ramps or even pulled over by the local police enforcement in or around the DC metro area - that would be me having the time of my life! so say hello !

Damm..next time time I'm on 495 (which is everyday), I'll keep a look out for a deal. Was on 95/495 for 2 hours this morning, didn't see one pcar though... ;)

AOW162435 12-13-2006 12:49 PM

Awesome find! I'd love to see it in person. Please post some pics when you can and let us know what issues it has. Rennlist will provide you with a wealth of knowledge regarding these cars. I find 993 DIY projects completely therapeutic.

Andreas

AOW162435 12-13-2006 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by tonytrini
Damm..next time time I'm on 495 (which is everyday), I'll keep a look out for a deal. Was on 95/495 for 2 hours this morning, didn't see one pcar though... ;)

tonytrini,
Are you the new & improved version of trinitony?

Andreas

Mark in Baltimore 12-13-2006 12:53 PM

Nice grab! Hope you can make it to some Rennlist meets.

I second what pcar said. I hope all will work out with it. Take it to ASG; they'll treat you well.

tonytrini 12-13-2006 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by AOW162435
tonytrini,
Are you the new & improved version of trinitony?

Andreas

Well trinitony has 993 post...so I want to end the year with that..first year of ownership, 993 post..good jou jou ..lol :roflmao: ..no cel etc, etc.

texas911 12-13-2006 01:04 PM

Keep us updated.

chris walrod 12-13-2006 01:06 PM

Great buy and love to hear the 'sale' stories behind these purchases. Sometimes one has to jump on these opportunities as they arise. And yes, there are risks but if one is in-tune enough with the car they are looking at, I feel one can quickly assess condition with a little poking around, even if its on the side of the freeway:)

I bought my black car based upon a phone call and literally two pictures for what I thought was a price that I couldnt pass up, even if it did need some work, which luckily, its actually a damn nice car for 99K miles:)

AOW162435 12-13-2006 01:40 PM

Well trinitony has 993 post...so I want to end the year with that..first year of ownership, 993 post..good jou jou ..lol :roflmao: ..no cel etc, etc.

A-ha. I see.

Andreas

ca993twin 12-13-2006 01:45 PM

Sometimes you need to take some risks to get the big rewards. And, of course, sometimes it doesn't work out so great. Some of you on this board might remember the trauma and risk associated with the purchase of Rufus... worked out great, after a series of minor heart stoppages.

Congrats on the purchase of that C4... great car! Best of luck.

vjd3 12-13-2006 03:17 PM

If it's not a salvage title, you got a smokin' deal! Post the VIN ;-)

24FPS 12-13-2006 03:19 PM

think the only person who has ya beat is john d. himself..... but the big question is: got frozen rotors?! his is a c4 too if i remember right.

now join rennlist & enjoy the slope... you have way more left over cash for mods...... :jumper:

:D

- congrats... now pics please!

Dan V 12-13-2006 03:56 PM

sounds like a very smart buy! i really enjoy reading stories of well used 993s getting the care they deserve. keep the posts and pix coming!

Berkley 12-13-2006 04:35 PM

Chris W.

Is right on...if you know the subject matter it is an opportunity found...hell you can part the car out for $15,000...

Randy's quote is on point..."An asset well bought, is half-sold" :thumbup:

John95cab 12-13-2006 04:35 PM

Great buy. As our cars get older and the miles pile up some owners are going to feel that they got their money's worth out of the car and are happy for a quick sale, especially if they aren't worth much in trade. Who among us hasn't given away a car or truck that we drove into the ground?

cab&coupe 12-13-2006 05:26 PM

Rich,

First thing I thought of as well... John D's deal of the century.

What is it with the `95 white 993's? Hard to find, best motors, best prices. Smoking deal Randy, :jumper: right up there with JD. :thumbup:

alpinadvl 12-13-2006 08:41 PM

WOW..... in 7 hours....638 thread views and 18 replies!!!!

This place rocks! :cheers:

To answer some questions :

1. PICS PICS PICS - I will as soon as possible (I think there should be a rule about introducing yourself and not showing a pic)

2. VIN number : WPOAA2998SS323461

3. The Car : and "The Deal" (aka DON'T HATE ME!)
- 1995 993 C4 White/Grey 6-speed, NO Accidents, NO dings, NEVER tracked, NO oil leaks
- mods : only 1 - a Mille Miglia exhaust

Service
- car has 130,000 miles, 1 owner, all serviced at a Porsche Dealer religiously
- within the last year : new calipers, new tires, new pads, major service, brand new Alpina stereo and brand new speakers throughout (first 993 owner to say they want it - gets it when I remove it)
- within the last 2 years : new rotors (no frozen rotors here John! ;) ), replaced main seals (?), new clutch, replaced cv joint, wire harness replaced
- There were other recent services....his friends commented that he spent $15,000 in the last 2 years just replacing and refreshing the car !

Equipment/Options
- extra set of turbo twist wheels with winter tires
- Mille Miglia exhaust

Problems
- Windshield washer pump not working consistently
- Infamous 993 "bubbling" near the rear window frame
- Second key remote doesn't work (not really a "problem" for me....more for my girlfriend!).....anyone else turned on by a girl who knows how to drive a porsche?

The Plan
- Drive this thing everyday of the winter
- Get my mods lined up : Chip, Suspension, Wheels (Techart), New tail lights, HIDs (OEM), Turbo front bumper (know anyone who wants to get rid of one or has a good deal on one), sport 3 spoke steering wheel, Recaro seats
The RS clutch/flywheel will have to wait as will the Big brake upgrade (the stock ones are incredible though!)

That's it for now! Thanks for the welcome! :cheers:
Hope to see some of the DC/VA/MD people soon!

95 C4 993 12-13-2006 09:33 PM

As a 95 C4 993 owner with a LFW and RS clutch-be aware of the potential stalls. My car still stalls from time to time. Age of debate on the 95's but I have groomed myself on how to drive it.

Mille Miglia exhaust---I have that set up. Either drill your airbox or get a Fabspeed airbox and your choice of filter---great compliment to the exhaust and awesome sound. I have a BMC filter.

WOW..... in 7 hours....638 thread views and 18 replies!!!!

This place rocks! :cheers:

To answer some questions :

1. PICS PICS PICS - I will as soon as possible (I think there should be a rule about introducing yourself and not showing a pic)

2. VIN number : WPOAA2998SS323461

3. The Car : and "The Deal" (aka DON'T HATE ME!)
- 1995 993 C4 White/Grey 6-speed, NO Accidents, NO dings, NEVER tracked, NO oil leaks
- mods : only 1 - a Mille Miglia exhaust

Service
- car has 130,000 miles, 1 owner, all serviced at a Porsche Dealer religiously
- within the last year : new calipers, new tires, new pads, major service, brand new Alpina stereo and brand new speakers throughout (first 993 owner to say they want it - gets it when I remove it)
- within the last 2 years : new rotors (no frozen rotors here John! ;) ), replaced main seals (?), new clutch, replaced cv joint, wire harness replaced
- There were other recent services....his friends commented that he spent $15,000 in the last 2 years just replacing and refreshing the car !

Equipment/Options
- extra set of turbo twist wheels with winter tires
- Mille Miglia exhaust

Problems
- Windshield washer pump not working consistently
- Infamous 993 "bubbling" near the rear window frame
- Second key remote doesn't work (not really a "problem" for me....more for my girlfriend!).....anyone else turned on by a girl who knows how to drive a porsche?

The Plan
- Drive this thing everyday of the winter
- Get my mods lined up : Chip, Suspension, Wheels (Techart), New tail lights, HIDs (OEM), Turbo front bumper (know anyone who wants to get rid of one or has a good deal on one), sport 3 spoke steering wheel, Recaro seats
The RS clutch/flywheel will have to wait as will the Big brake upgrade (the stock ones are incredible though!)

That's it for now! Thanks for the welcome! :cheers:
Hope to see some of the DC/VA/MD people soon!

AOW162435 12-13-2006 09:59 PM

Alf,
It sounds like you really happened upon a deal. Pics.....

Andreas

dhicks 12-13-2006 10:20 PM

But the new and improved needs to become a member :soapbox:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

David Ray 12-13-2006 10:46 PM

I've been looking for a 3 spoke 996/Boxster wheel here and on d-bay with no luck. Bought one yesterday from www.aglausa.com (Alan Gun Leather Accessories). Totally forgot about this great source.

A re-leathered original Porsche wheel is only 400. Last count he had two left. You'll be billed 150 additional if you don't send your old wheel back as a core. So even at 550 I haven't seen any listed here or on d-bay that come close to that price. A new airbag from Porsche will run you another 400.

Good luck with the car!! Way to make the highway deal!

AOW162435 12-13-2006 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by David Ray
I've been looking for a 3 spoke 996/Boxster wheel here and on d-bay with no luck. Bought one yesterday from www.aglausa.com (Alan Gun Leather Accessories). Totally forgot about this great source.

A re-leathered original Porsche wheel is only 400. Last count he had two left. You'll be billed 150 additional if you don't send your old wheel back as a core. So even at 550 I haven't seen any listed here or on d-bay that come close to that price. A new airbag from Porsche will run you another 400.

David,
You've already purchased the wheel, but I would advise you to give the re-covering work a very thorough look. I just went though an absolute nightmare (two-months +) with AGLA. Depending on where things stand next week, I may very well do a comprehensive write-up on Rennlist detailing my experience. I would highly recommend against any dealings with AGLA. It's an ugly story.

For what it's worth, you can purchase a factory fresh 3-spoke wheel through Carnewal for roughly $80 more. That would be my choice:

3-spoke wheel

Andreas

ARM993 12-13-2006 10:57 PM

I've been stuck in traffic on that road a lot of times. Never thought of negotiating a purchase on a car. Nice job. Sounds like you got a great deal and can't wait to see how she looks. Congrats. :cheers:

rcwelch 12-13-2006 11:06 PM

Nice find...PM sent.

hyphenf15 12-13-2006 11:16 PM

Welcome to the 993 C4 club. Great deal!!

vjd3 12-14-2006 12:34 AM

Sounds like a terrific car. Congratulations!

I'd gladly take the Alpine off your hands; I have the Alpine iPod adaptor and need to pick up an Alpine head unit to use it with.

Carfax is odd ... shows only one record on the car, in Maryland in 1995 at 59 miles, then nothing.

csertich 12-14-2006 12:34 AM

You went for it and you got it. Good for you. :)
Congratulations and enjoy.
chuck

Steve 96C4S 12-14-2006 01:14 AM

Sick deal. Congrats. Hope to see you at the Spring "Rennlist Meet and Drive" here in the MD/DC area. You might want to consider clear front turn signals to replace the amber ones. They look cool on your car. Oh yeah, and alum pedals. And...

Steve R

hddude 12-14-2006 02:17 AM

Coount me in the skeptical, you get what you pay for group. It's a great car but "in dire need " of cosmetics and tuning? Oh well, as long as you think you stole the car that's all that matters.

chris walrod 12-14-2006 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by hddude
Coount me in the skeptical, you get what you pay for group. It's a great car but "in dire need " of cosmetics and tuning? Oh well, as long as you think you stole the car that's all that matters.

As face value, these reports of 'cheap' 993's do seem skeptical, but as someone like myself who have bought many many cars, and many of them have been too-good-to-be-true types of deals, they are out there. And once you stumble upon one, gotta be prepared to jump-in with both feet.

The black 993 I just bought was one of those too-good-to-be-true deals despite it being listed by a great guy and Rennlister. His word was true with respect to condition etc., and I couldnt be happier:)

I think that some folks who discount such 'deals' or stories of 'deals' may be showing a bit on envy, as I know I have been envious of many of these deals.

alpinadvl 12-14-2006 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by chris walrod
As face value, these reports of 'cheap' 993's do seem skeptical, but as someone like myself who have bought many many cars, and many of them have been to-good-to-be-true types of deals, they are out there. And once you stumble upon one, gotta be prepared to jump-in with both feet....I think that some folks who discount such 'deals' or stories of 'deals' may be showing a bit on envy, as I know I have been envious of many of these deals.

I agree as well. The to-good-to-be-true deals sometimes are just "good". (I have bought 3 other cars this way). And I dont blame others for being skeptical.....especially when I did something so "stupid" as not bringing it to a PPI (which is something I do not recommend). But at $15,000 the car is worth more than that in parts (worst case) And the person I bought the car from is actually a porsche enthusiast....he has had every style 911 since 78 I believe, and bought a 996 C4S 1 week after we shook hands on the 993. In addition, he used to sell a specific enthusiast products for every year 911. I am not saying who he is on purpose....but everyone who has owned a 911 since the 911sc will know this guy. When I was sitting in his work area chatting with him, I asked him...."wait a minute.....what is this and that doing all over your work area?" Turns out I knew him, even though I had only heard of this guy. So the car was a unique find, and the person was also - and we have already made plans to stay in touch (I think he just cant "let go" of the 993 ! ;) )

PS: as for the car being in "dire need of some tuning and cosmetic work" - it really only has the bubbling at 2 spots on the rear window. But I was just playing fun at all the things I plan to do to get the car to suit my tastes (that's what I mean by cosmetic upgrade - such as the roof spoiler/brake light, carrera 2s split grill and european rear lenses (all bought already!). 993's are special cars....and when I am done with mine, it will be one of the nicest 993s out there ! (I will explain my "street cred" another time...but believe me, I have a lot of credibility with the 993 community, even though I haven't really come clean with all of you! I will explain at a later time). I am really pleasantly suprised at all the enthusiasts just chiming in - and for really "no reason" telling me they are taking pleasure in the fact that I am taking pleasure in this 993. That tells me people here are really enthusiastic...very cool.

PS: The free stereo and speaker offer has already been taken !

Terry Adams 12-14-2006 11:40 AM

There are people who, against all naysayer advice, buy Google stock at the $90 IPO price. And people who buy a pretty nice 993 at the can't go wrong $15K price. On the surface, we think they are lucky or foolish risk takers. In fact, they have spent years doing their due diligence, and pounce on known value when they see it.

RallyJon 12-14-2006 11:44 AM

Wow, that is the worst analogy ever. :D

Quadcammer 12-14-2006 12:29 PM

whats with all the secrecy about your "street cred"? From what I've seen on internet boards, most people who claim to have lots of "street cred", but won't tell you what it is, are usually FOS.

DC from Cape Cod 12-14-2006 12:31 PM

I miss the old Rennlist.

alpinadvl 12-14-2006 01:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wow Quadcammer, that comment was really unnecessary. I will take it just as a friendly jab or "challenge" and we can leave it at that. No reason to bring the mood down.

ANYWAY..... Here are some pics!!!

:to_order:

tonytrini 12-14-2006 01:17 PM

Wow Quadcammer, that comment was really unnecessary. I will take it just as a friendly jab or "challenge" and we can leave it at that. No reason to bring the mood down.

ANYWAY..... Here are some pics!!!

:to_order:

nice car :D

tonytrini 12-14-2006 01:18 PM

nice car :D

even has wide ovals..

993inNC 12-14-2006 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
whats with all the secrecy about your "street cred"? From what I've seen on internet boards, most people who claim to have lots of "street cred", but won't tell you what it is, are usually FOS.

Yeah that was a little uncool man. With 71 posts (and a USER) don't come in here and piss on the man's wheaties :grr: you haven't earned (or paid for) the right to do so. He got a smoking deal (as it looks on the surface). Leave it be. If he's FOS, so be it, he's happy with it. I would done the same thing he did and not thought twice.

Having said that, our new friend Mr. Alpina needs to pony up for the membership so he can fully enjoy the perks and wisdom of this place if he is going to upset the cart with a purchase (and post)like that.

cab&coupe 12-14-2006 01:36 PM

Bravo... Alpin... very nice find that will produce thousands of smiles per mile :cheers:

mjsporsche 12-14-2006 03:09 PM

If the photos are any indication of the condition, you have a terrific buy. $15K for a 993.....sign me up.

Now, I need to stop every 993 I see and ask the same leading question. Great line....

Mark

InTheAir 12-14-2006 04:40 PM

That is awesome.

I've always said I'd like a 994 C4 for winter driving, but a $15K 993 C4 would be even better! :thumbup:

Quadcammer 12-14-2006 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Yeah that was a little uncool man. With 71 posts (and a USER) don't come in here and piss on the man's wheaties :grr: you haven't earned (or paid for) the right to do so. He got a smoking deal (as it looks on the surface). Leave it be. If he's FOS, so be it, he's happy with it. I would done the same thing he did and not thought twice.

Having said that, our new friend Mr. Alpina needs to pony up for the membership so he can fully enjoy the perks and wisdom of this place if he is going to upset the cart with a purchase (and post)like that.

well, my point was not that he didn't buy the car or get the price that he did.

My point is, that for a guy with 9 posts, who claims that he will turn a 15k 993 into "one of the worlds nicest 993s" because of undisclosed "street cred", its a little hard to believe. If he had said that he's been working on porsches for xx number of years and whatever, it would have been much more believeable.

Im not saying the guy is fos, im sure he's not, but I think its odd to go around mentioning "street cred" (which sounds like a line from fast & furious), without saying what that credibility is.

no harm intended.

Greg H. 12-14-2006 04:58 PM

That is a pretty nice looking car for $15K. Will this be the first N/A car where the mods cost more than the car?

Greg H.

MarkD 12-14-2006 05:01 PM

.... And the person I bought the car from is actually a porsche enthusiast....he has had every style 911 since 78 I believe, and bought a 996 C4S 1 week after we shook hands on the 993. In addition, he used to sell a specific enthusiast products for every year 911. I am not saying who he is on purpose....but everyone who has owned a 911 since the 911sc will know this guy. When I was sitting in his work area chatting with him, I asked him...."wait a minute.....what is this and that doing all over your work area?" Turns out I knew him, even though I had only heard of this guy. So the car was a unique find, and the person was also - and we have already made plans to stay in touch (I think he just cant "let go" of the 993 ! ;) )

OK, I'll bite... who did you buy the car from?
Why in the world would it be a secret?

BTW, congrats on the deal.

FGL28 12-14-2006 06:02 PM

Dude,

You should be arrested for that good deal. :evilgrin: Congrats and you should join because the resources here are incredable and one needs to support the community. :cheers:

alpinadvl 12-14-2006 06:10 PM

Quad,
I know, I only have "9 posts" and the "street cred" comment does sound a little "fast-and-furious" (lol, funny comment) - but didn't mean it that way. my comment, "993's are special cars....and when I am done with mine, it will be one of the nicest 993s out there ! " ....Is just my anticipation of taking good care and doing tasteful upgrades to the car. When I am done, make a judgement then. :cheers:

As far as credibility and experience - yes, I have some experience, but most importantly, I have a lot of connections across the pond in Stuttgart, Weissach, Leonberg, and Pfaffenhausen and I am on first name basis with all your favorite people in the porsche tuning world including some famous porsche race car drivers and ex-porsche test drivers.

But, I was referring to something else... but I will come clean with what this is with this community on my own timetable. I just was enjoying this new car, it puts a grin on my face for the past 72 hours....the 993's are amazing cars. So, hopefully, we can move on to the business of enjoying these fine cars.

993inNC,

----> Response: 2 yr membership purchase 1 minute ago!!!!

I like the comments that this puts smiles on people's faces, I also like the idea of people stopping other porsche owners on the highway to make a deal! The more the better!!!

alpinadvl 12-14-2006 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MarkD

--> I will ask him if it is ok to post about him.... I was just trying to respect his privacy. (I hope others would do the same).

SR71BLACKBIRD 12-14-2006 06:18 PM

:jumper: Nice and smart buy and well worth the risk as now you can mod like crazy!!

MarkD 12-14-2006 06:52 PM

--> I will ask him if it is ok to post about him.... I was just trying to respect his privacy. (I hope others would do the same).

Ah, I see. Not a bad idea I guess.
You just got me curious :)

993inNC 12-14-2006 07:26 PM

Quad,
I know, I only have "9 posts" and the "street cred" comment does sound a little "fast-and-furious" (lol, funny comment) - but didn't mean it that way. my comment, "993's are special cars....and when I am done with mine, it will be one of the nicest 993s out there ! " ....Is just my anticipation of taking good care and doing tasteful upgrades to the car. When I am done, make a judgement then. :cheers:

As far as credibility and experience - yes, I have some experience, but most importantly, I have a lot of connections across the pond in Stuttgart, Weissach, Leonberg, and Pfaffenhausen and I am on first name basis with all your favorite people in the porsche tuning world including some famous porsche race car drivers and ex-porsche test drivers.

But, I was referring to something else... but I will come clean with what this is with this community on my own timetable. I just was enjoying this new car, it puts a grin on my face for the past 72 hours....the 993's are amazing cars. So, hopefully, we can move on to the business of enjoying these fine cars.

993inNC,

I like the comments that this puts smiles on people's faces, I also like the idea of people stopping other porsche owners on the highway to make a deal! The more the better!!!

I applaud your ability to keep composer when others would take off like a rocket haing felt the sense of being "flamed".
Welcome to the "list". Look forward to experiencing your described "cred" :)

John D. 12-14-2006 07:43 PM

Hey alpinadvl..!

You beat me with your purchase!!! I got mine from a lead from Alfie at Ira (thanks again Alfie!!) for a whopping $16,000 - which did include an extra set of wheels, though.. ;)

That was back in November of 2003.... And I'm still loving it!!!!!

Now - about the color of your car - PERFECT!!!
About a little body work needed - PERFECT!!!
About the RSRs, LWF, filling the bumperette holes, clear turn signals, filling the headlight washers, PSS9s, lowering, Gerts SS kit, replacing the lamp assembly's, shifter upgrade, 18" twist rims, pulling the engine, redoing the lifters, taking care of any rust, replacing the windshield, doing... Nevermind... (PUSH down that slippery slope :) )

Seriously - CONGRATS!!! Your 993, being white - can flat out - run faster and better than any 993 out there ('cept mine ;) )...

And it's a C4, you say?? (Mine, too :) )

John D.

Mark in Baltimore 12-14-2006 08:08 PM

Quad,

993inNC,

Is this 993 for Michael Richards, Jerry? :D

cabrio993 12-14-2006 08:23 PM

If you are curious...nothing that a $20 carfax can't cure...
VIN number : WPOAA2998SS323461
;)

tj90 12-14-2006 08:25 PM

Any porsche enthusiast knows the market. Why would anyone leave money on the table? A freaking SC is worth 15k.... If the car pans out, you are still giving it away at 25k. This whole thing does not make sense....

cabrio993 12-14-2006 08:27 PM

Great find Alpina. I hope to find a similar deal on a GT3 one day! :) (white...of course)

Welcome to Rennlist.

993inNC 12-14-2006 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Great find Alpina. I hope to find a similar deal on a GT3 one day! :) (white...of course)

Welcome to Rennlist.

+1.........accept for the white, we all know BLACK is stealthier :D

vjd3 12-14-2006 08:33 PM

I ran that Carfax a few posts ago ... it has zero history, shows new at 59 miles and nothing since.

Killer deal ... I'll give you $17k for it right now ;-)

MarkD 12-14-2006 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by cabrio993
If you are curious...nothing that a $20 carfax can't cure...
VIN number : WPOAA2998SS323461
;)

CarFax shows owner info now?
Didn't last month.
EDIT: and I mean name, etc.

vjd3 12-14-2006 09:43 PM

No, it never shows the owner.

cabrio993 12-14-2006 09:53 PM

CarFax shows owner info now?
Didn't last month.
EDIT: and I mean name, etc.

Then just send the $20 to Alpina...I am sure he can PM you the name. :roflmao:

Steve 96C4S 12-14-2006 10:48 PM

Nice pics. You are one lucky dude. Any interior pics?!?

Steve R

hddude 12-15-2006 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Yeah that was a little uncool man. With 71 posts (and a USER) don't come in here and piss on the man's wheaties

Since you brought up the subject of numbers of posts, I will choose to be skeptical of anyone who comes here and boasts about anything until the guy has at least 100 posts to establish his alleged "cred." That includes anyone who supposedly steals a car from a well-known Porsche enthusiast who apparently plays Santa with his Porsches. I'm calling BS on this entire thread.

chris walrod 12-15-2006 01:34 AM

I'm calling BS on this entire thread.

Maybe you should call BS on this thread, instead..

BrokenE 12-15-2006 01:59 AM

OOOHHHH baby, i'm half way to gettin some street cred around here!!! :D

alpinadvl 12-15-2006 08:37 AM

......That includes anyone who supposedly steals a car from a well-known Porsche enthusiast who apparently plays Santa with his Porsches. I'm calling BS on this entire thread.

LMAO !!!! That quote is priceliss to me ! :roflmao:

I'm amazed that there are so many skeptical people on this board. I am concerned about your and others' skepticism.... What can I do to properly show "proof of life" ? Short of giving you the car!! (THIS IS OPEN TO THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY!) :roflmao:

-alf

tonytrini 12-15-2006 08:53 AM

LMAO !!!! That quote is priceliss to me ! :roflmao:

I'm amazed that there are so many skeptical people on this board. I am concerned about your and others' skepticism.... What can I do to properly show "proof of life" ? Short of giving you the car!! (THIS IS OPEN TO THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY!) :roflmao:

-alf

If you're on 19th Street today, stop by and let me take a peek at that gem. :D

John D. 12-15-2006 09:08 AM

Hi Alf..!

Man - tough crowd... :eek: I'm glad no one called BS when I bought my white '95 C4 for $16,000 THREE YEARS AGO - which was a similar deal as yours (disinterested owner, just wanted to dump the car, etc.). Come to think about it - maybe mine was a better deal, as I got an extra set of cup wheels with new Dunlop snows mounted - and again that was 3 years ago???

Hmmmm.....

OK - let's try to find the "cred" issue..... ;)

I was a Member - so are you? Same....
Mine was a white 993 C4? Same....
Mine needed a little tweak here and there?? Same....
I bought mine in the late fall - when folks are thinking about winter? Same....
I had about 4000 posts on Rennlist at the time... Whataminute - there it is!! Watch this :) (look at your post count... :) )

Now - if you really need to prove it to me - you can come on up to NH and we'll take pics of "the twins", enjoy a few beers - and start with a few simple mods ;)

John D.

tonytrini 12-15-2006 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by John D.
I'm glad no one called BS when I bought my white '95 C4 for $16,000 THREE YEARS AGO - which was a similar deal as yours (disinterested owner, just wanted to dump the car, etc.). .

3 yrs ago a 95 was worth a lot more..you got a steal..lol.. ;)

John D. 12-15-2006 09:20 AM

Hi Tony!

Thanks!! It's still my "daily driver" - and I love it!! If I were to sell it today - I'd ask about..... Nevermind - it's NOT for sale!! :)

John

Alfie 12-15-2006 09:43 AM

Funny John, I thought it was your car when he first posted it. These deals are out there, few and far between, and not for everyone, but they are out there. You just have to be ready to roll when you get the call that a 993 C4 coupe in white is available to be purchased for stupid cheap money.

alpinadvl 12-15-2006 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by John D.
Hi Alf..!

Man - tough crowd... :eek: I'm glad no one called BS when I bought my white '95 C4 for $16,000 THREE YEARS AGO ...John D.

Wow! That was a better deal! (when did 993 prices start their trend upwards? I thought that was 2 years ago?)

Thanks for the comments and support. Also, it freaked me out when you wrote before I want to thank "Alfie and Ira" because that is my name and my gf's name....so it was almost as if you were talking to us! It must be something about the 1995 white C4 that has us communicating on some special wavelength!

Hello Alfie !(I am getting a kick out of addressing someone else with my name) I agree, you need to be ready for those deals.
-alf

alpinadvl 12-15-2006 10:27 AM

If you're on 19th Street today, stop by and let me take a peek at that gem. :D

which 19th street? D.C. ? or NYC? or (insert city here)???

tonytrini 12-15-2006 10:31 AM

which 19th street? D.C. ? or NYC? or (insert city here)???

DC..

alpinadvl 12-22-2006 01:53 AM

Just to put one more thing to rest....

the previous owner of the car was the owner/inventor of the porsche "magbra" that have been selling for porsches since (I believe) 1980.... the guy is really of the "mad-scientist" but "hip" kind of mold. Alot of fun to talk to and hang out with.

I just wanted to make sure with him I could post that before I actually did....b/c some of you might know him...

(so, not really a big "secret" - but that concludes this thread....I think!)

:)

ps: he shuns the new clear plastic people are putting on their cars ...saying they are too expensive, and while good for protecting from road "grime"....not good at all for protecting against rocks....his words...and he has tests to show it....however this is a moot issue since he has stopped the magbra company just bc he did not have the time to continue it.

Mark in Baltimore 12-22-2006 09:29 AM

I've met him before at the Office Depot store near my house. He's a very, very nice guy. He had a Doberman sitting in the passenger seat of his 993 and saw me checking his car out. The car looked to be a a decent daily driver that was in nowhere near the sad shape of the car Andreas and I saw up in Jersey. As it turns out, a friend of mine was recently hired by him to be the company's new either CEO or CFO (can't recall which one).

BTW, I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had Chuck Moreland's Elephant Racing Track Skin magnetic "bra" on my car.

alpinadvl 12-22-2006 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
....He had a Doberman sitting in the passenger seat ....

that's the guy! :typing:

sbmfj 12-23-2006 04:06 PM

awesome story, enjoy the car!!

SpeedBump 12-23-2006 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by vjd3
Carfax is odd ... shows only one record on the car, in Maryland in 1995 at 59 miles, then nothing.

Pretty normal for Md as the state gov't do not reports info to Carfax except titling.

HK G36C 01-08-2007 02:22 AM

White like the first snow...well, 130k is just a start for her.. :thumbup:

nile13 01-08-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by vjd3

Not surprising, Vic, they don't have annual inspection in MD.

nile13 01-08-2007 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
There are people who, against all naysayer advice, buy Google stock at the $90 IPO price. And people who buy a pretty nice 993 at the can't go wrong $15K price. On the surface, we think they are lucky or foolish risk takers. In fact, they have spent years doing their due diligence, and pounce on known value when they see it.

Bingo! This is how I got my C2 cab three years ago (for $17K).

nile13 01-08-2007 06:41 PM

Also, it freaked me out when you wrote before I want to thank "Alfie and Ira" because that is my name and my gf's name....

Say "привет" to Ira :-)

tonytrini 03-26-2020 11:15 AM

Throw back, what a great deal this was.

Steve 96C4S 03-26-2020 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by tonytrini (Post 16506100)
Throw back, what a great deal this was.

Too....much...free... time, Tony, reviving a post from .......13 years ago! ;o)

By the way, I was just in Trinidad a few months ago for 5 nights for a wedding (the wedding was in Tobago) - I thought of you. I didn't see any 911's while there but I did see lots of happy, smiling people.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c6de1758b5.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a9269714f8.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...10272469ac.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c492ffb2bd.jpg

tonytrini 03-26-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S (Post 16506160)
Too....much...free... time, Tony, reviving a post from .......13 years ago! ;o)

By the way, I was just in Trinidad a few months ago for 5 nights for a wedding (the wedding was in Tobago) - I thought of you. I didn't see any 911's while there but I did see lots of happy, smiling people.

Dude...........WTH ...lol..been awhile, since the day we discussed selling your old car on 355. Anyways I was in Trini a few weeks ago for Carnival, and have been going back yearly since the kids r now older. But I haven't been to Tobago since '77. Wifey spent a week there 2 years ago, loves it, so we will try and fit it in next year. Two very different islands in so many ways. We do have a few friends on the island who own guest homes. Thanks for sharing the photos. BTW, what hotel was that at?

Steve 96C4S 03-26-2020 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tonytrini (Post 16506223)
Dude...........WTH ...lol..been awhile, since the day we discussed selling your old car on 355. Anyways I was in Trini a few weeks ago for Carnival, and have been going back yearly since the kids r now older. But I haven't been to Tobago since '77. Wifey spent a week there 2 years ago, loves it, so we will try and fit it in next year. Two very different islands in so many ways. We do have a few friends on the island who own guest homes. Thanks for sharing the photos. BTW, what hotel was that at?

Yep, it was easy to sell my 993 that I owned 13 years but hard waiting 4 months to find a newer car with working A/C. 5 years later, I never looked back once in regret. Having amazing working A/C was worth the upgrade! No one could ever fix it adequately and it's so swelteringly hot here in the summer, I needed to get a newer car. The 2012 Turbo S was the perfect fit for me and it was the best Porsche move I ever made. I adored my 993 C4S but ... well, 13 years was a decent amount of time to keep a car. This current car will be my last 911 I think. I'd love to own a newer Turbo S but I don't need to. This one does everything perfectly for me and is ultra comfortable as well. The Sirius radio is super nice to have, the 0-60 speed time of 2.8 seconds is great in theory (though I don't need to accelerate this fast nor could I ever achieve this 0-60 time due to my interest in doing this to my car).

As far as Trinidad, I stayed at the sumptuous Hilton for free on points for 1 night (incredible place) and 4 nights at the Magdalena in Tobago since I was in the wedding and had to be there that long. It was ultra boring in Tobago, as a single guy, 4 days at a beach resort was torture and the resort wasn't that nice even though it looked amazing in the pics. Internet was awful there as well. We have it so good in the good ole USA.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...86eaa366d0.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...79e7ddcbe3.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f47039789b.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...494f551792.jpg
View from my hotel balcony in Trinidad
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4b268a8c33.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...686ffcee8c.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b604b85170.jpg
BP!!! Where I get my gas from to fill up my 911. Yahoooooo...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3d17a7e06d.jpg

tonytrini 03-26-2020 01:30 PM

Nice pics Steve. I grew up in Woodbrook which is a couple mins drive going west from Jenny's, and a ten min walk to the savannah (seen from the balcony of your room). You probably heard folks mention the "avenue" , well our house is the 4th house from the avenue. Haven't been to Hilton in years but heard they did quite a bit of work on it. The premier hotel is the Hyatt abd spent one night there last year.

There r few 911's on the island, more so in the southern part, but you do see a lot of Cayennes.

Sorry about your experience in Tobago, but there's some really nice bed and breakfast places and resorts.. Four days is a lot for a single guy in Tobago, single guys have more fun in Trini but at Carnival time lol.

Tobago....
​​​​​​

Trinidad..

​​​​​​

Won't bore our 993 brethren anymore, will PM you. :)

gonzilla 03-26-2020 08:14 PM

Dayummm. Trinitony? Blast from the past! How you been? How come you reversed your name?

tonytrini 04-03-2020 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by gonzilla (Post 16507164)
Dayummm. Trinitony? Blast from the past! How you been? How come you reversed your name?

Hi Gonzilla, I'm good and trying to stay safe in what seems to be a bad science fiction movie. I had this account from when I first joined, switched to the current one and never looked back. With all the downtime I have now, I finally got around to fixing a mac mini that had failed a few years ago. I opened the browser and went to rennlist and voila I was logged in under tonytrini. So I had to go look and see what post I had under that name, and found this one. I'm still on the forum but mainly hang out in the Cayenne forum now as I have CTTS. And like the 993, I hardly drive it, infact I think it gets driven less... Hope you and your family are doing well, stay safe, and as always keep the shiny stuff up. I sure do miss the sub-second response of the 993 forum when you ask a question..lol

Steve - this is a party I went a month ago on Friday around this time. Lots of fun for a single guy, so check it out if ever you get back. Sure seems like a long time ago now.